16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Change of direction
drcook
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2023 3:25 pm  Reply with quote

Since I held a Model 12 at a Cabelas and determined that I absolutely cannot grip one due to my hand problem, I have switched directions and decided to get civilized, join the washed ones and maybe get an O/U.

I am looking at a Browning Citori Hunter in 16 ga (still plenty available)

or possibly a 525 in 16ga if the member here still has it for sale, etc.

I know that with the Hunter I would have to build an insert to tighten up the grip curve vs the 525's is tight enough for me as is.

Anyone here have experience with the Hunter Grade (doesn't matter if 1 2 or 3) as far as quality etc ?

I will probably get one with 28" barrels.

I am even having trouble with my Ithaca 37's. The early 50's style buttstocks have a more open grip curve than the late 50's early 60's. I have modified one of those that works better for me, and I have another that I am going to make tighter still.

If I get the Browning, I have a junk Ithaca 37 12 gauge stock that I can cut the grip curve off and have a starting point.

Of course I have a couple Ithaca 16s that will be going down the road.

There are some less expensive Turkish built 16 ga O/U's but research shows that quality and longevity can be hit or miss.

Of course I can even talk to the Upland Gun Company and see about getting one built with a tighter grip curve. There have been some posts here about UPG.

df
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2023 5:29 pm  Reply with quote

I have a grade III citori in 16 ga, 28”. I believe same as the citori hunter except cosmetics. It’s a great reliable gun that I shoot well. It does have a more open grip which if I understand you, it’s not what you want.
The new A5 I believe has a fairly closed type of grip, if an auto loader fits your plans.

Last edited by df on Wed Apr 19, 2023 6:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
drcook
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2023 6:19 pm  Reply with quote

I actually have a Stevens 755A in 16ga that I have completely rehabilitated. I was looking for something a bit different.

16'er
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2023 6:41 pm  Reply with quote

https://www.rizziniusa.com/collections/br110/products/br110

There’s also an alloy frame model.
Citori16
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2023 8:06 pm  Reply with quote

I bought my son a Hunter in 16 ga and used it when I visited him last time to avoid flying with my WL.

The questionable: Upper chamber is slightly smaller than the lower, the rib is made to be open toward the breech end.

The good: Recoil pad is nice. Wood is plain hence less brittle & less dense, both desirable for a field gun IMO. It handled like my older White Lightning, did not notice any difference besides the more comfortable recoil due to the pad.

I like my older one better. I recommend looking for a good used one from the 2003(?) run. But the new ones are still very good guns if you are set on a new one.

drcook
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2023 3:10 am  Reply with quote

I have been searching for either the 525 or other Citori in 16ga. There has only been a couple sold since the 1st of the year. People must like them pretty well.

Ohio Wirehair
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2023 7:53 pm  Reply with quote

Jaquas in Finlay Ohio has a bunch. New and used.
putz463
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2023 3:44 am  Reply with quote

A bunch on GunBroker in the ~$1700-2k bandwidth, ~double that for Gran's and White's, put O/U 16 in the search window....

https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Keywords=o%2Fu%2016&Sort=13&PageSize=96

Aside, also on GB looks as though some of the colorful new Semi's have made their way to market. And on browning.com 16ga only shows up as a drop down option in the Semi's, not O/U's nor BPS's.

drcook
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2023 4:39 am  Reply with quote

The 525's are few and far between. Unfortunately I came late to the party.

The POW grips are way to open for me, impossible for me to hold.

Thanks to everyone for responding so far. I have found a Grade 1 for an extremely attractive price. Extremely. Today we are going to Cabelas in Wheeling so I can actually hold a Grade 2.

I found a 525 buttstock with the tighter grip curve.

In my searches I have found a lot of bogus, SCAM sites. In my absence over the last few years has that been discussed here ? These sites appear to have the unique guns such as the 2019 Citori 525 16 gauge for sale, but they are really only attempts to get your money and of course have no stock to sell. They try and get you to use Zell or other NON-CREDIT CARD manner to pay.

Jaquas is straight west of me, just a little bit of hike. We actually live a mile north of 76/224 and drive 224 a lot.

There is a shop off 224/rt 42 called the Log Cabin Shoppe. If you have never been there, you should go (you Ohio folks). They have a pretty cool little museum of old guns (free to go see).

Ted Schefelbein
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 8:11 am  Reply with quote

Dave,
Getting old sucks. Welcome to my world.

I’d tell you to try to find a gun similar to the O/U you are looking for to use or rent at a club. I know from personal experience that some guns that feel wonderful in the hand and on the shoulder are not the holy grail I was looking for. Something I have learned is every gun, every action, every gauge is a study in compromise, and the guns with the fewest compromises for me won’t be the gun with the fewest for you, or, anybody else. Also, what worked perfect for me, 40 seasons past is just a pleasant memory, today. I am still learning what will work best for me, after the trauma of the eye injury, and switch to the other shoulder and eye that happened three years ago. There are other, subtle changes, I find it difficult to cycle a pump right handed, and the arthritis is worse in my right hand than it is in my left. An ugly 20 gauge gas autoloader has become a new friend, of late. Not what I wanted, but, what works, at the moment.
Take your time, hold onto your wallet, and choose carefully. You may not like what you discover, but, being “out there” is its own reward. I have few friends left that are still capable of walking a cat tail slew with my dog and I, and, I would rather be there than around a card table with them, at least for now.

Good luck.

Best,
Ted

drcook
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 10:12 am  Reply with quote

Ted,

I have been dealing with the hand issue for 50 years. I was hurt in gym class and the surgeries started when I was 17. They had me in a cast (changing every 30 days of course) for a year when I was 16 trying to get the bone to heal.

As a consequence I can do every thing left handed that I can do right handed, EXCEPT I am extremely right eye dominant. In order to shoot a shotgun, I would have to shut my right eye. Closing both eyes and mounting a gun, then opening both eyes, I see 6 to 8 inches to the left of the barrel, but if I close the right eye, then the left is pretty close to where it should be.

I have a vision shift so bad that unless my lenses for reading glasses are aligned perfectly, I see double and I can also experience a point of impact change really bad.

But, I can drive down the road and see a 1/4" socket. I have fetched lots of tools off the roadside.

Ted Schefelbein
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 9:52 pm  Reply with quote

The difference in vision between my eyes is so great that I am familiar with the double vision you have experienced. Even though my right eye is dominant, and I am shooting right handed now, I have to close the left eye. Too great a difference in vision between the two, even wearing glasses.

Oh, to be young again.

Take your time finding a gun that will work for you. My pump guns don’t get that much use these days.

Best,
Ted

Brewster11
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 7:57 pm  Reply with quote

I heartily second the notion of actually trying out a gun at the range if not in the field. Looks and handling in a shop can be deceiving. I once came across a lovely little Beretta 687 20 ga O/U with magnificent wood and engraving that felt like it could magically point itself at every light bulb and stuffed bird in the gun store. But after eagerly taking it home, I found it would slap and beat me unmercifully at the range. Needless to say I promptly fell out of love with it, and now merely hold it in my hands and wonder what to do with it.

Now the 16 ga Citori is a different story. It is a standard 2007 Type 3 model. It mostly sat lonely in the cabinet for some time as other guns vied for my attention. But after some hard earnest use at the skeet range, and a couple minor but vital mechanical adjustments, I find it to be ready for anything I ask of it and more. Such a sturdy, well made, and effective shooting arm as there is. And for reasons I don’t fully understand, it seems exceptionally well suited for the 16 ga for moderation of felt recoil, especially 7/8 oz loads.

With regard to the POW grip, the wrist of the 16ga stock feels thinner and more precisely contoured than most, which might allow a more comfortable and secure hold for your condition than you might expect.

Good Luck
B.
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2023 9:03 am  Reply with quote

Brewster,

Funny you should mention that Beretta 20 ga. I was visiting friend in Tucson last month and he took me to Coyote Springs (during the U.S. Open sporting clays event no less). I didn't expect to do any shooting since quail season was over, so I didn't take a gun along. Well, I borrowed a few of his guns. The 20 ga. Beretta 687 beat me like I owed it money.

ROMAC
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2023 9:35 am  Reply with quote

I've had the same problem with German guns from time to time. All the edges felt sharp and banged the crap out of my cheek.

Being left-handed, I attributed it to the cast required to accommodate the cheek piece on the other side of the stock.