16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  BP Wads- Bulging hulls
rdshorttjr
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 8:24 am  Reply with quote

IS it me or are the BP Sporting 1 oz wads oversized? I have yet to find a 16 hull that will easily accept these wads. I have tried them in REM-Black, -WIN-Super-X, FED GAme load.
I cannot get evenly consistent seating ...these wads sometimes bulge the hull at the base of shotshell ????? Yesterday I loaded some of the REM Blue wads for 1 1/8 try load . Sweet!!!!!!
Last question, will these wad actually stretch your hull- to the point blowouts could occur on future reloading attempts? I have a brand new Lee Load All 16 loader.

Thanks RD
jig
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:05 am  Reply with quote

Have not herad of that problem before. I have the exact same set up as you. I am new to shotshell reloading - but not reloading. The first question that comes my mind is: How hard are you reefing down on the handle when wad seating.There is a line between firmly seating the wad and crushing it. If you are compressing that wad too much when seating is the only thing I can think of that would cause that. Or, that you have 12GA wads your trying to fit in 16GA hull. Does the sack say G/BP Sporting 16 Guage on it?

when you seat the wad try and resist temptation to ressf real hard on the lee load all handle. I have loaded many shells since I received my Load all and have not experinced that with Federal or Remington hulls. I don't mean to presume I know anything about your technique, so please don't be insulted by this - just trying to think of what might be causing your problem as I have never yet seen that using the exact same components.
Ron Overberg
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:22 am  Reply with quote

RD,
I use the same wad on a ponsness warren press with no problems. The one time I had the problem you describe it was my fault. I was trying to reload in my garage with no heat at 20 deg. F. and the hulls and plastic refused my efforts.
Best,
Ron
Highcountry
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 1:25 pm  Reply with quote

I use the same wads in BP hulls which I believe are Cheddites, and have no problem whatsoever. I am using a PW 375.

hoashooter
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 4:55 pm  Reply with quote

I also think you have some 12 ga. wads---the Remmy 16's went in with no problems-----
Jeff Mulliken
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 8:22 am  Reply with quote

This is real. The BP wads are bigger than other 16 ga wads. They are a tight fit in some hulls, particularly the Black Remingtons when you cut them down to 2 1/2". But they slide right into the thinner walled and more flexible mouthed RST 2 1/2" hulls.

Most of the bulges come from the base of the wad getting canted in the hull as you press it in past the crimp.

Jeff
kgb
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:43 am  Reply with quote

The BP wads bulge in my reloads using the black Rem hulls on a P/W press. As pointed out here, they go into the Fed and Win straight walled hulls rather easily, but I'm going to have to measure some of them to see what the actual OD comes to.

In one of my guns, a Win 21, these Rem reloads are a very snug fit. They're jammed in tight upon closing, and if I open the unfired gun the barrels fall while the shells remain seated. It takes a good amount of pressure to hold the ejectors/extractors down during this, so the shells are crammed in tight. At a certain point the ejectors will release and ping the shells into the face of the breech. First couple times it happened I couldn't believe it was due to the shells holding on that tight to the chambers, guess they're pretty minimal in spec.

For now, I'm out of the BP's and using only the Rem wads.

kgb
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:34 am  Reply with quote

Its ironic you should mention this shell jammed in chamber business today. Yesterday, I went to a local trap winter league shoot. One of the guys there had reloaded some new style Wincester 12 ga hulls with some federal wads. the wads were bulging the cases pretty noticably. He was jamming them into his Perazzi TM1 and shooting them without too much difficulty until we had a trap malfunction and a cease fire was called. He opened his gun to remove the shell. It was jammed in the chamber. He tried prying it out with no luck, so someone handed him a stuck wad stick. he put the stick up the barrel and tapped the end of it on the ground a few times. When the shell flew free, it nailed him in the forehead right over his shooting glasses. The look on his face made us fall out in gales of laughter. Our scores quickly went to hell after that, because we kept cracking up everytime someone would whisper "Boink".
Jeff Mulliken
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:19 pm  Reply with quote

The "brass" on that Federal hull also stretches out pretty quick.

I need to resize them to have them cycle in my A5's while some other shells are needy of resizing.

Jeff
cedar16
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:08 am  Reply with quote

I've loaded lots of the BP sporting 16. They have loaded nicely in all hulls except remington, where they do bulge sometimes. Seems to me I read in BPI literature that it is not necessary to apply pressure, other than just a bit to seat the wad down to the powder, as the crimping process does the rest. I've had no problems in Fiocchi, Chedditte, and Federal hulls--I use a PW 375. With Rem hulls I stick to rem wads and have no problems.