16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Have we seen the last of the DR-16's?
lbrown
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2023 6:10 am  Reply with quote

Like a lot of people here, I've been eagerly awaiting more news on the DR-16's, after hearing that a run would be made this summer.

Then yesterday I received a call from a fellow 16ga shooter in the Wausau area. He had spoken to a bulk components dealer who buys in bulk from Recobs. It seems that Recobs had advised him that it didn't look like there would be any more DR-16's.

Not first hand by any means. But both the Wausau area components dealer and Recobs have handled DR-16's in the past when they've been available, and it doesn't seem likely they'd be spreading the word that we may have seen the last of DR-16's unless there's something to it.

Wondering whether anyone else has heard any news.
MSM2019
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2023 6:19 am  Reply with quote

It seems there is only one person that really knows the deal with DR16's and that is whoever runs the ship over at DownRange.

I hope I am wrong on this but, I think that whoever is telling folks what they want to hear. It's been going on for at least 2 if not 3 years now and nothing has changed.

I think we might have a better chance of having Claybuster change the diameter of their CB0100-16 and CB0078-16 wads, to accomodate the Federal, Cheddite and similar inside diameter hulls.

......and I think that is probably a slim to none chance also.

16gaDavis
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2023 6:49 am  Reply with quote

Mark , you are right . It has been 6 or 7 yrs I believe since the last run of DR's . Kevin always alludes to a run soon , but now it's been June , July - still quiet ! I even queried Nick about how hard it is to set up and run . (meaning lets go out there and do it ourselves ) . Set up not hard , fine tuning - hard ! If we really pushed this on Claybuster , maybe better results . It isn't like 16 wads are a major concern for run time . (it's too bad that this site removed Nick's old thread about the DR development - it actually showed the mold on video running thru it's cycles ! )

MSM2019
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2023 6:57 am  Reply with quote

16gaDavis,

It's funny you mentioned Claybuster........I just inquired about a possible modification to their existing wads or buying the DR16 molds from DownRange or whoever owns them.

I am sure that email will be the source of a good laugh, but nothing ventured nothing gained.

Have a good one!!

pumpgun
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2023 10:18 am  Reply with quote

FWIW I wound up with way more CB0100-16 wads than I would ever need (I don't like the recoil of 1oz loads). I found that 1/2" 20g fiber filler wads from circle fly fit in the bottom of the shotcup nicely and give a comparable load fit to DR16s. The overpowder section is larger than the OEM wads, and work fine in Federals. Could also split the fiber wads and put them in a CB0078-16.
Disclaimer: I'm only using this combo for light 5/8 and 3/4 oz skeet loads, I haven't pressure tested them - proceed at your own risk.
Citori16
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2023 11:03 am  Reply with quote

I am waiting for the Dr-16, mostly because I want to try MSM’s American Select load. I too have been anxiously waiting a resurgence in DR-16. I believe it will happen because there is a demand for it. Regardless I will be waiting for it to happen.

Cold Iron
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2023 4:30 pm  Reply with quote

Scuttlebutt. I talked to Kevin last Tuesday. He had eye surgery that Saturday and it was his first day back to work.

He is hoping to get a run done before the Grand but that will likely be pushing it. He usually attends the Grand and this year is no exception. If he doesn't get them done before the Grand he will run them after he gets back. So realistically end of August early September they should be available.

He will contact Recobs and let them know when they are close to ready. Someone called Recobs after I posted they will be handling them and Kevin was going to do a run this summer and Bill was caught off guard because Kevin had not contacted him.

Kevin asked that you please do not call Recobs until he says they are ready and Recobs knows they are coming.
lbrown
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2023 3:45 am  Reply with quote

I'm on my last bag of DRs. However, I have quite a few RGL hulls. (Guy at the club gave me 50 once fired the other day.) And I have plenty of CB 7/8 oz wads. (Too bad the Rem hulls don't last all that long, but that's pretty much the case with most 16ga hulls. ) But the Great Northern left me with a lot of empty Herters hulls and plenty of reloading to do.

At any rate, I can last until early fall with no problems. And by that time, I'll be doing more hunting than target shooting, and not burning through my supply of light reloads.
Charles Hammack
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2023 11:58 am  Reply with quote

Mark I own the tooling for the DR-16 .

If someone would like to own it , it's for sale

I will take a loss but $40 K will buy it , not a penny less.

Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

Best Regards Nick
Hammer bill
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2023 2:07 pm  Reply with quote

I've been using cb's 1& 1 1/8 for years now in my 16. Just flair the over powder cup and your good to go for the fiochi's, Cheddites, federals. Don't flare for the rems or the old taper winchester.
MSM2019
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2023 3:58 pm  Reply with quote

Nick,

Glad to hear you still own the molds.

I'll get my pipe!

Brewster11
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2023 7:59 pm  Reply with quote

The maker of the wads appears to be playing a very effective game with his 16 ga customers. We have read of his promises for some years of imminent delivery of his wads, yet none appear. This is a very common business tactic. It accomplishes two goals: It keeps customers waiting and excited about the product, and more importantly, it discourages customers from taking their business to competitors. Software companies are notorious for using this tactic by promising “vaporware” that doesn’t exist.

In this case as mentioned in previous posts, competitors include adapting CB wads as a workable alternative. Or more fundamentally, during the long years of waiting, 16 ga reloaders could have easily modified their reloading equipment and learned how to efficiently produce the ideal 7/8 oz loads, i.e. 2 1/2” shells with commonly available high quality perfectly fitting wads.

When this tactic is used with common consumer items like shoes or TV sets, we quickly become suspicious and shop elsewhere. But why do we so easily fall for it when it involves something of great personal interest to us? It’s a curious phenomenon.

V/R
B.
AmericanMeet
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2023 10:49 pm  Reply with quote

Not sure I care for the direction this thread is headed- but then what do I know?
Hammer bill
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2023 4:26 am  Reply with quote

Brewster I agree with your statements completely
This is going on with primers, powder and new hulls of the 16 ga. Since I know most tactics of marketing I try and warn people to stock ahead of time. But most don't pay attention. So now even if prices do level out as far as shooting goes.i suspect many of regular or shooters that dropped out probably won't be back. And not many new shooters come on to the game. That's why sense about 2010 several clubs closed their doors. At the same time political people attacked the clubs thru the EPA built on faulty precipitation.
Try to get new clubs going under the climate change scare and see what happens. Bill
Ohio Wirehair
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2023 2:10 pm  Reply with quote

I have a few DR 16's left and do like them. However I've got a bunch of SG 16's and they fit the bill quite nicely.