16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  7/8 load
Griffon
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2023 7:13 am  Reply with quote

I did some searching but couldn’t come up with what I needed. Looking for a 7/8 oz load using the following components.

Purple Chedite Hull
Cheddite 209
Green Dot
SG16 Wad

I have been using these in a 1 oz load running at 1160 fps or so. Trying to drop it down without using corn pops, oats, Metamucil or any other filler.
Suggestions appreciated.

Thanks

MSM2019
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2023 7:39 am  Reply with quote

Possibly the easiest way, especially if you have a MEC Sizemaster or 600 Jr. is to cut the hulls to 2.5", and buy a Short Kit to easily load those 7/8 oz. loads.

That eliminates messing around with food or other fillers.

pumpgun
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2023 1:17 pm  Reply with quote

Griffon wrote:
Trying to drop it down without using corn pops, oats, Metamucil or any other filler.
Suggestions appreciated.

Thanks

Cereal fillers:
I'd recommend Cap'n crunch for effect. I'd avoid Kixx because of the recoil.

Seriously though, you'd have to go with the DR16, or load 2.5" hulls as MSM2019 suggested.
FlyChamps
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2023 2:31 pm  Reply with quote

MSM2019 wrote:
Possibly the easiest way, especially if you have a MEC Sizemaster or 600 Jr. is to cut the hulls to 2.5", and buy a Short Kit to easily load those 7/8 oz. loads.

That eliminates messing around with food or other fillers.

Best answer!
Griffon
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2023 4:20 pm  Reply with quote

Looks like a filler car. Thanks for the response.
Pumpgun go back to neutering goldfish and pulling quills.

putz463
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2023 4:55 pm  Reply with quote

"been using"...with what unsavory results? speed?? range??? cost???? What are you looking for going to 7/8oz?

If I were in your shoes and not wanting to cut the hulls shorter....which I agree is the best route all things considered. I would maybe look toward the CB078 wad (available at PR) and after perusing the data sheets I've accumulated start with ~16-17grn of GreenDot and send into PR for testing and go from there. GD is a reasonably large flake powder that should help with powder migration in the miss fit of CB (skinny) wad in a Ched/Hert (chubby) hull. A little flaring of the OB cup will help flatten deviation numbers a little and minimize migration but slow down reloading. Depends on how many you are looking to load. A couple/few handfuls of hunting rounds, good to go, grinding trough a competitive organized weekend clay event, maybe not.

otherwise, Cheerios.....

AmericanMeet
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2023 8:37 pm  Reply with quote

when using less shot than the wad was designed for- such as 7/8 oz instead of 1 z, I find an easy way to fill the space is to use a hollow punch to cut discs from styrofoam obtained from retail metal packaging, the diameter of the shot pocket of the wad, then insert the disc in the wad base followed by the charge of shot. A little experimenting will get the thickness so that the crimp is tight and uniform.
lbrown
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2023 2:51 am  Reply with quote

A lot of us went the cutout disc route before the DR-16 came along. I think most of us determined that cereal was better. I liked Quaker Puffed Wheat or Puffed Rice. I remembered them avertising back when I listened to The Lone Ranger that they were the cereals shot from guns.
ole_270
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2023 12:01 pm  Reply with quote

Just got a short kit in the mail. I've been going through the old purple Herters hulls pretty quick. They don't last as long as the version you get in new primed hulls from Precision Reloading and others. I had a box of empties that were really toast, split in several places with some split past the start of the crimp. Trimmed them to 2.5" and setup the short kit. Had to raise the pre-crimp and the cam on the final crimp to keep from crushing the hull. Load was 16 International, SG-16 1816 version, with 7/8-8. Ended up crimped pretty well on those that weren't too far gone, lots of them weren't too pretty though. Chrono'd a couple just to be sure, 1196 and 1197 fps. Should be a decent clay practice load here at home. I've still got 6 flats of these hulls to use up.
Forgot to add, this was on a MEC Sizemaster. Had better luck at the pre-crimp with the standard plastic Mec Pre-crimp than the BPI metal version.
harkom
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2023 1:21 am  Reply with quote

From 1990 :

For 2 1/2" guns :

CCI 109
19.0 Green Dot
Card, 2 x 3/8" felt wads
15/16 oz lead

Can substitute a plastic G wad for card+felt but reduce Green dot 17.5

Or :

CCI 109/W209
21.5 Vectan A1
Plastic wad
1 oz lead

or
20.75 Vectan A1
1 1/16 oz lead

I think that Green Dot of recent manufacture may give > pressures , but the data above would be a good starting point.
Griffon
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2023 5:14 am  Reply with quote

Thanks for all your info. Going to go the insert route and see how we do.