16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Anybody ever try spreader loads
jig
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:07 am  Reply with quote

I have tried the ones from Polywad in my Sterly and thought they were great on quail out of the full choked bbl. So I ordered up some x-stream spreader plastic from BP. Plan on just peeling the pedals of the SG16 or Z16 and inserting the spreader X on top of that. Heard that will act as the gas seal and make a nice moderately spreading load-according to BPI. Anybody ever try that? Success? Opinions?

Also, in an unrelated matter, have any of you ever tried the paradise pheasant load: BP12 WAD/GS Gas seal and nickel shot in the 12GA
But substituting a MM 16 Field wad and using maybe a nitro card wad underneath as the gas seal in the 16GA?
AmarilloMike
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 3:21 pm  Reply with quote

"Plan on just peeling the pedals of the SG16 or Z16 and inserting the spreader X on top of that."

Did that and it works great. I shot quail with configuration and they are deadly (over pointing dogs). A couple of boxes at skeet thoroughly leaded up my barrel.

Mike

mike campbell
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 4:05 pm  Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes

Last edited by mike campbell on Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
hoashooter
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:30 pm  Reply with quote

Try trimming off two opposite petals and check the pattern
AmarilloMike
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 8:12 pm  Reply with quote

"Try trimming off two opposite petals and check the pattern"

I am dying of curiosity. HOA what does it do?

Mike

Ron Overberg
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:00 am  Reply with quote

Jig,
I use the spreaders with SG16 and X-streams with good success. Just load a normal 7/8 oz. and add X-stream. It isn't complicated and it works on clays great. When I use the poly-wad button I will load the same but use the Remington SPS16 wad. The button displaces 1/8 oz. and makes a good load for me. The weight addition is .4 grams approx. for the button and a little less for the X-stream. I would keep it simple and not over complicate the spreader. If you are using it for birds pattern it and see if there is a need to change a simple load. It has worked for me in the past without any complications.
Best,
Ron
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:30 pm  Reply with quote

Jig, I agree with Ron. I adhere to the K.I.S.S. principle when reloading. IMO the polywad spreader inserts are the simplest and easiest ones to use. No wad modifications, no muss, no fuss. Just place it centered in the wad guide stem down after dropping the shot and seat it--done. If you wish to modify the insert, use a nail clipper to nip off a bit of the sides in three equally spaced places. this will tighten the patterns a bit. Even better, use a 20-28 gauge insert in the 16. Does the same thing. And you cannot beat the price short of making your own inserts out of tag board. I bought mine in bulk. The time saved and convenience vs. cost per unit is a no brainer.
cedar16
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:00 am  Reply with quote

I've used the polywad inserts in 16 gauge and they worked well. Pattern testing showed that they nicely opened my IC/MOD to make 12-15 yard shots possible in popple thickets. I roll crimp mine to make the spreaders easily identified from my normal fold-crimped loads. The polywad works fine with a fold crimp too. I've also used the BPI plastic X spreader device in 12 gauge and they worked well (loaded up a few for a buddy that shoots a 12)--never tried them in my 16 loads as I bought a large supply of the 16 gauge polywad years ago and still have plenty.