16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  16 ga weight
nj gsp
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2023 11:04 am  Reply with quote

I prefer guns 6 lbs and less for a "carry a lot, shoot a little" gun.

1927 AH Fox A grade - 5-3/4 lbs
2010 Browning Superlight Feather - 5-3/4 lbs

I also have a Browning Sweet 16 (new version) that I just don't use that's also 5-3/4 lbs with 28" barrel.

But that said, I really have been enjoying the 1922 LC Smith Specialty Grade, my most recent acquisition, which is a bit over 6 lbs. It carries a lot lighter than it is.
MSM2019
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2023 3:05 pm  Reply with quote

I am definitely in the minority as I carry a 7 lb. 12 oz. 16 ga. Rem 1100. Every now and then I hunt with a 6 lb. 14 oz. 16 ga. Citori or a 6 lb. 2 oz. Model 37. 95% of the time it's the 1100 though.

The 1100 has been with me since 1993, shot a lot of birds with it in 7 different states. Pheasants, quail, woodcock, ruffed grouse, prairie chickens, sharptails, huns, mallards, teal, dove, turkeys, pigeons and an untold number of clay targets.

.......and being completely honest, never noticed that it was heavy at the end of the day.

My idea is to hunt with the gun I can hit with.

S.davis
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2023 6:17 pm  Reply with quote

I think weighing guns is absurd.
Citori16
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2023 7:08 pm  Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing Laughing Rolling Eyes

The twenty year old in me applauds your brashness, while the fifty year old laughs at your inexperience.

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2023 9:34 pm  Reply with quote

S.Davis,

When I was about 16 years old and was Pheasant hunting with my Grandfathers 12 gauge L.C. Smith Pigeon Gun, at the end of the hunting day my Grandfather sat me down and told me to make sure I carried a gun appropriate for my size. I was about 5' 8" at the time, when he handed me his 16 gauge double gun, that weighed just under 6lbs.
His Pigeon Gun weighed just over 7lbs with the 30" barrels. You should always know the weight of your gun when hunting, it definitely does matter, especially toward the end of the hunting day, when you have to react quickly to down a bird.
Yes gun weight does matter for the size of the sportsman, who is carrying the gun, no matter how strong that sportsman believes he is.

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

I only carry his big beautiful L.C. Smith Pigeon Gun for a certain time, then I switch to one of his 16 or 20 gauge much lighter double guns.

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
MSM2019
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2023 5:56 am  Reply with quote

For the life of me, and assuming at least an average sized male in good health, I can't appreciate the difference between carrying 6 lbs. or 8 lbs. I don't see it. I am not a big guy, very average at 5'10" 180 lbs., haven't worked out since I was 25 years old, I am 67 now.

In days gone by when there was plenty of game, a miss or two didn't mean much. Now a miss or two can mean an empty gamebag. I am not all about shooting a limit, but when I pull the trigger I want a dead bird and light shotguns don't always get that done for me.

Last edited by MSM2019 on Wed Sep 20, 2023 12:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

waggo71
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2023 10:35 am  Reply with quote

I had an old H&R single shot 20G when I was a kid. Never considered weighing it but it was light, and every time I shot it my teeth would rattle. Never been interested in light guns since. I'm also not into fancy double guns, regardless of whether the barrels are next to each other or stacked on top of each other. I do have a slew of 16G pump guns in just about every make, model and configuration. Some are lighter than others but not so much that it makes much difference to me. My go to is an early 50's model 12 that started off life as a 28" modified and now sports a 24" open choke. Carries fine and as long I get in the general vicinity of my target it will knock it down.

MSM2019
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2023 10:46 am  Reply with quote

To get back to what the OP asked. I think a 16 ga. shotgun between 6.5 to 7.5 lbs. is about right for most upland hunting. Light enough to carry, heavy enough to smooth out a swing and a little mass help with recoil.

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2023 10:54 am  Reply with quote

Waggo71,

Your M12 is a light bird gun, if your were carrying a M21 in either a 12 or 16 you would definitely feel & see the difference. You have been using a light M12 from the beginning, carry an M21 all day up and down the mountains and you will know the difference in the weight of the guns without weighing them.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
fin2feather
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2023 11:32 am  Reply with quote

Gun weight (or lack of same) is way overrated IMHO. Fox A Grade 16 - 6lbs4oz; Sterlingworth 16 - 6lbs8oz; Parker Trojan 16 - 6lbs9oz; Stevens 5100 16 - 7lbs. I couldn't tell you a bit of difference when carrying any of them, and if I wanted something lighter I'd lose some weight myself Very Happy .

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
waggo71
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2023 12:14 pm  Reply with quote

Dave,

While I understand the premise of your case, I submit that there are a few camps that folks typically fall into on the topic of gun weight...it can be of primary importance, in which case they base their gun buying and carrying decisions around it; it can be of secondary importance, in which case they may give it some consideration among several factors; or it can be of such little importance that is given minimal consideration, if at all. I agree that the M12 small frame gun is considered relatively light by most standards. A model 12 in 12G, or a Stevens 520A in either gauge would come in a good bit heavier...just not heavy enough for me to worry about. I'm confident that I could could carry that model 21 that you spoke of, even in the mountains, and not give it a passing thought. But, then again, if I had a model 21 I would probably sell it and buy a dozen or two old vintage pump guns. Very Happy

Citori16
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2023 12:23 pm  Reply with quote

I guess it all comes down to opinion & preference then, but after getting into backpacking I learned the value of counting ounces.

A couple times I used the Steven’s instead of the Citori and regretted it on those longer days. I was slower on the mount at the end of the day, and that cost me some birds. When my 16 ga Flues broke in the field, I ended up using my 20 ga model 37, about 3/4 of a pound less. I noticed the difference throughout the day, it was pleasant to carry and I was still fresh at dinner time. I’m just not a good pump guy, and I prefer the choices of 2 barrels and a tang safety.

6.5 lbs is a nice compromise in my opinion for cover hopping. But long days in alder swales, or trekking up and down hills for 10 plus miles and I’m looking to shed weight. I may even opt to swap out the Citori after lunch for the Sarasqueta, just to keep my edge. I don’t obsess over weight, but I do think it’s important to my way of hunting.

16gaDavis
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2023 6:01 am  Reply with quote

kinda depends on how you are hunting , did lots of fast walking prior to my Moo episodes , Met Reno and Nick , both 6'4'' and have 31/2 ft strides , believe me , by the end of the day , the Davis coulda weighed 4# and I would have been grateful - sorry about the punct , my period doesn't work on the comp now , bid P-I-T-A !!

Riflemeister
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2023 6:51 am  Reply with quote

For those who claim that the weight of the gun doesn't matter, at some point in your life if you are lucky enough to still be hunting, the weight will matter. I used to be 10 feet tall and bullet proof like all younguns, but realities caught up with me at about age 70 and the hills started getting steeper and the distances farther and the weight of my carry a lot and shoot a little guns started to matter. Now at 82, the weight of the gun has become a primary concern, but at least I can still chase after my bird dogs on point, just a bit slower. Thank the Lord those dogs are steady on point.

fin2feather
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2023 7:32 am  Reply with quote

I'll be 77 in four months and as I stated, I ain't gonna worry about a few ounces in the weight of a gun. Most of us would shoot better with a slightly heavier gun anyway if we'd just get over the hype.

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook