16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  High gun powder
Hammer bill
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2023 1:26 pm  Reply with quote

Anyone tried HighGun powder for 16ga yet. Been reading alot on trapshooters that been using it with good results. I guess it's just another name for titegroup powder for shotguns.
One of the guys that shoots at many trap shoot games as I do say he really likes it
He's a heck of a shooter.
MSM2019
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2023 2:13 pm  Reply with quote

It's been around for a long time as Titegroup. Just another ball powder. Probably will be OK in 7/8 & 3/4 oz. loads. But it is very dense and without doing something to fill the space I am not sure it's going to be all that great.

Kinda like W572 great in an RGL with 1 oz. loads, not so good in the other hulls because it is so dense.

pumpgun
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2023 9:10 am  Reply with quote

So is perfect pattern the same as titewad?
MSM2019
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2023 10:58 am  Reply with quote

pumpgun wrote:
So is perfect pattern the same as titewad?

No, Titewad and Perfect Pattern are two different powders.

putz463
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2023 1:45 am  Reply with quote

I have not but found it on the burn rate charts in the neighborhood of faster powders (700x, Bullseye, etc) than I would guessed it being if Trap shooters were liking it. My understanding of long range or Trap powders is the slower burn rate = slower more gradual acceleration/set back = minimized shot deformation = better long range patterns. Maybe not....

MSM2019
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2023 4:48 am  Reply with quote

putz463,

Those ideas are just ideas that were started a long time ago. It takes about 4 -5 milliseconds for the whole event from primer ignition to muzzle exit, for anything but the most odd loads. Smokeless powder is progressive burning. Yes there are fast and slow burn rate powders but that has to do with what work they are capable of doing than it does the time it takes to do it.

Fast and slow when it comes to powder are actually misnomers, but it makes it an easy way to describe them.

Sometimes going to a 'slow' powder actually produces more powder gas and can mess up a pattern on muzzle exit.

If you were to setup a bunch of loads using different target powders at the same velocity and payload and actually pattern them as in counting pellets and shooting multiple targets, there probably wouldn't be enough difference to bother with especially in more modern shotguns.

Older shotguns with a fair amount of choke can be a different story, but that is more about the shotgun than it is the powder.

putz463
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2023 12:53 am  Reply with quote

Good to know, thanks for clearing up another wives tale.

More so promotes; you have to pattern a particular load in your particular shotgun to truly know what is being produced.

This forum is fortunate to have someone with your unique experience and knowledge participating, let alone your willingness to share them. Thank you.

pumpgun
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2023 9:44 am  Reply with quote

Extrapolating from available 12g 1 1/8 oz. data the burn rate probably close to green dot. Would work for loads 3/4, maybe 7/8 oz. with pressure tested data. One issue is that, (assuming it's the same as titegroup) is this powder is very dense. With available components its already a challenge to find loads that don't require fillers, and having a bulky powder helps.
jim18611865
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2023 4:19 am  Reply with quote

I had a 7/8 oz. in a Rem hull tested.
15.4 gns. It was overpressure and velocity/pressure was all over the place.
Terrible fit too.

Jim
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2023 5:51 am  Reply with quote

I shoot very light 12ga skeet loads and tried Perfect Pattern with it's
easy availability . Used the 1oz load off the jug , and subbed 7/8 . Low expectations ! Great results ! Fio case and wads and Chedd primers As low as 14.8 grains still cycles the SX . Velocity has to be OK , no lead issues ... I am skeptical about the original High Gun topic powder and am about Ball Powders in general , however am really ling PP . Not sure if it can adapt to 16ga .

MSM2019
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2023 6:55 am  Reply with quote

I just bought some Perfect Pattern. Just want to know what it's like in the 12 ga.

Honestly, I don't have any interest in using it in the 16 ga. The density makes it a pain to use with anything but the RGL. I would end up cutting down hulls or using fillers to make the loads work in the other current hulls. For target loads, I am not going through that nonsense. I like to reload but I love to shoot. If a target load won't go through my 9000G easily I am not interested.

grahamshewell
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2023 9:53 am  Reply with quote

I have a lot of Titegroup here and currently use it in 12ga but am thinking of trying it in the 16ga with maybe a light load of 21g or 24g and use fibre wads.
I will try a few in the next few weeks.
It is a low volume powder so maybe better suited for fibre stacked loads
Hammer bill
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2023 4:58 am  Reply with quote

Well I've tried for the 16 ga. 15gr to much to my liking. 14.5gr still not happy.
Hammer bill
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2023 5:01 am  Reply with quote

Well I've tried for the 16 ga. 15gr to much to my liking. 14.5gr still not happy. I can make the stack hgt work but not happy their either.
Am going to crono some this week cause of being curious. But don't expect much.
Brewster11
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2023 10:57 am  Reply with quote

MSM219, how would you rate Perfect Pattern for 7/8 oz skeet loads? The club received a shipment at a tempting price that almost hearkens back a decade. I’m using 2 1/2” hulls which might allow a good fit.

Thanks
B.