16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  I bought a Model 12 Friday, sixteen gauge of course
AmarilloMike
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:35 pm  Reply with quote

It is in well used original condition. It has very little blue left on the barrel or the action. The wood is out of finish also. But other than that is in very good shape. I ran 5 shells through it and it operated flawlessly. The spring that works the bottom action cover seems to be weak. I bought it on impulse. It has 28" barrels and weighs about 6-1/2 pounds. I don't know the serial number or the choke. I just loved opening and closing it - the action is smooth as glass. I will post pictures and serial number later - it is still at the gun store. I was on my way out of town to go hunting and stopped in there for a little business and saw it on the rack - didn't have time to fill out the form. I paid $175 for it.

Best!

Mike

Jeff Mulliken
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:23 pm  Reply with quote

Sounds perfect, a little tlc and it will be your best friend.
hoashooter
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:35 pm  Reply with quote

Good enough to use for a hunter Twisted Evil
Wolfchief
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:58 pm  Reply with quote

It should serve you very well; they make outstanding pheasant or sharptail guns. With a 28" barrel, I'll bet it's a mod or full choke. Sounds like the price was right!

AmarilloMike
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:15 pm  Reply with quote

Just picked it up Panhandle Gun Slingers. I got the bore gauge out - it is 0.670" bore diameter and choked 29/1000th and marked full. That will have to be worked on. Right on the money WolfChief.

It is marked for 2-3/4" shells.

Serial number is 594900. Does anyone know about when it was made. Several patent dates are listed on the barrel. The oldest is July 21 1896 and the newest is July 22, 1913. I don't know if the barrels are orignal to the gun or how to tell.

I didn't notice when I bought it but the stock has at the very least had the pitch changed and a recoil pad added - amatuer job. LOP is 14.

What I think is cool about the gun is that it appears to have been used a lot AND well cared for. The bores aren't rusty. The action or the barrels aren't rusty. Somebody just used it for year and years and took care of it. It feels good when I throw it up. Might make a nice 1oz dove gun as is. Jeff and HOA and WC thanks for the cheers!

Mike

CitoriFeather16
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:55 pm  Reply with quote

I love the looks of the Mod. 12 and the Mod. 37. However, I could never get comfortable with a pump gun. Pump with the left hand, pull the trigger with the right hand. What do you do if you're chewing gum at the same time?

matt
ioannes
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:40 pm  Reply with quote

Congrats AmarilloMike

And if you ever go across the boarder into New Mexico to hunt quail and dove that ol Model 12 will get the job;

Done that one many times myself.

Welcome to the 'Worshipful Society of Winchester M-12s' Cool

ioannes
Foursquare
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:25 am  Reply with quote

By the Blue Book, the serial no puts it in 1929.

Pete

" .......you have learned patience and stubbornness and concentration on what you really want at the expense of what is there to shoot. You have learned that man can as easily be debased as ennobled by a sport....."
AmarilloMike
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:14 am  Reply with quote

Hey Matt - the one time I shot a pump it was at bobwhites. I had forgotten my gun. It might as well have been a single shot. I am with you on the looks.

ioannes thanks. I bet I will miss some dove with it. I would probably have to have the choke opened for quail (in order miss them in a proper manner).

Pete thanks for the date of manufacture. It is older than i guessed. Made during the year of the crash. I bet it has been on lots of hunts all over the country.

Mike

britgun
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:06 am  Reply with quote

AmarilloMike wrote:
It is in well used original condition. It has very little blue left on the barrel or the action. The wood is out of finish also. But other than that is in very good shape. I ran 5 shells through it and it operated flawlessly. The spring that works the bottom action cover seems to be weak. I bought it on impulse. It has 28" barrels and weighs about 6-1/2 pounds. I don't know the serial number or the choke. I just loved opening and closing it - the action is smooth as glass. I will post pictures and serial number later - it is still at the gun store. I was on my way out of town to go hunting and stopped in there for a little business and saw it on the rack - didn't have time to fill out the form. I paid $175 for it.

Best!

Mike

oh my golly, you stole that thing..... I love my model 12, when I can get it away from my 14 year old that is.... clean that up and shoot it, they are awesome, light field guns!!

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:22 am  Reply with quote

CitoriFeather16 wrote:
I love the looks of the Mod. 12 and the Mod. 37. However, I could never get comfortable with a pump gun. Pump with the left hand, pull the trigger with the right hand. What do you do if you're chewing gum at the same time?

matt

Matt, I thought i'd have fits learning to pump the gun and shoot after owning nothing but single trigger doubles and autoloaders. However, practice makes perfect. I started shooting my first 37 at low gun skeet and made myself pump the gun for singles everytime I shot the gun. I would put one shell in the chamber, shoot and pump all in one motion. In no time, I was automatically pumping the gun without any pause. When I shot my first pair, it was easy. I also practiced at home with dummy shells.

On thing about pump guns a lot of folks overlook is just how fast the second shot on a pair is performed. the forward motion of your off hand on theslide tends to direct the gun right at the target. If you can walk and chew gun simultaneously, you can do it too. Just practice enough without the pressure of feathered targets on a skeet field or with dummy shells.

PS: if your citori fits you, a ribbed 37 with a 14 to 14-1/4 lop will too. Its an easy transition.
britgun
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:07 pm  Reply with quote

16gaugeguy wrote:
CitoriFeather16 wrote:

matt

Matt, I thought i'd have fits learning to pump the gun and shoot after owning nothing but single trigger doubles and autoloaders. However, practice makes perfect. I started shooting my first 37 at low gun skeet and made myself pump the gun for singles everytime I shot the gun. I would put one shell in the chamber, shoot and pump all in one motion. In no time, I was automatically pumping the gun without any pause. When I shot my first pair, it was easy. I also practiced at home with dummy shells.

On thing about pump guns a lot of folks overlook is just how fast the second shot on a pair is performed. the forward motion of your off hand on theslide tends to direct the gun right at the target. If you can walk and chew gun simultaneously, you can do it too. Just practice enough without the pressure of feathered targets on a skeet field or with dummy shells.

PS: if your citori fits you, a ribbed 37 with a 14 to 14-1/4 lop will too. Its an easy transition.

I agree........if an ex-gundealer can learn to pump, anybody can.... Laughing and it is truly amazing how quick that 2nd shot is..... I actually started on Model 12's (sixteen bore )in early 80's and used them exclusively (I must have had 2-4 at any given time) until I found the bantam weight 5 pound 16 bore French side by side, and I've been wrecked for anything else ever since....

britgun

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:00 pm  Reply with quote

Yeah, but I'll bet you've not tried to pump the forend of a Reminton LT-20 Autoloader like I did recently. The guys at the club just fell out on this one. Rolling Eyes
gunut
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:41 pm  Reply with quote

I think you have one of the rarer versions of the model 12...between 1927 and 1930 winchester made the small gauge [16 20] nickle steel model 12s marked with a 2 3/4in chamber...B4 1927 the small gauge guns had short chambers...and in 1931 they started using proof steel instead of the nickle steel.....so small gauge model 12s made from 27 through 30 have both nickle steel barrels and are marked for 2 3/4in shells....these guns a more desired by collectors than earlier ones or later ones.....GOOD FIND...MIGHT BE WORTH RESTORING....

AmarilloMike
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:33 pm  Reply with quote

Hey Gunnut - The barrels are marked "Nickel Steel". Cool Thanks for the information - that is very interesting and I was surprised to see it marked for 2-3/4".

Britgun I have always admired the old pump guns and it is well balanced and light. I weighed it - 6lbs -9oz.

Thanks!
Mike