16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Perfect Pattern powder
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:11 am  Reply with quote

Tried this originally because it was readily avail and inexpensive . Didn't have high expectations - do not generally like ball powder ... However , this and WSF have been delightful . For lite 12ga . No data for 16 anywhere for PP ! Just for s-a-g's , tried a couple loads with my go to fast powder load for 16ga . 14Grns PP , DR , Chedd pr , and my bar drops 365grns shot - rem case . Could not tell these from any orher of my similar target loads , and the 11-48 dropped all shot empties on the ground in 1 pile . Starting to like this stuff even more ! Should have grabbed another 8#er when they were 191 free HM at Powder Valley . I think this would be an OK place to dip your toe in for 3/4 loads etc . Will probably send some to Precision once I get a few more shots under my belt , Waiting for a facial from skin cancer to get better B4 shooting anything more . (not a big deal !)

kgb
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2024 12:11 pm  Reply with quote

Sounds like a good fit for the lighter weight loads, not surprised it doesn't have data available as the components are generally geared towards 1oz and greater payloads. Even here where we concentrate 16ga reloaders, we've got people who get agitated about faster powders being unsuitable. Yes, unsuitable for 1oz at high speeds, but not for lighter rounds or even some 1oz at 1100fps or so.

16gaDavis
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 10:04 am  Reply with quote

most of my shooting is at the speed of skeet ! That can be about 1150 fps , where I get my best hits . Right now , I'm not allowing myself to fully shoot my guns due to the face rebuild , so the best I can test at is how the 11-48 reacts . I still have 1200 DR's , so I can fit the loads nicely in the Rems . When I get to sending them out for testing , I'll probably try my Dr loads , and maybe another 6 With Feds and G wads to compare and get a bigger base .... my SX-1 uses the same Powder at 16 grns , and same shot weight - pops them out nicely with good hits . That gun has drilled out gas ports although I have a 2nd barrel with reg holes - that one I do have to check .