16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  16ga For Sporting Clays
Brewster11
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 1:33 pm  Reply with quote

I’ve detailed my feats and foibles with competitive skeet using the 16 ga Citori here, and I’ve determined that I need to go down a different path: A dedicated 12 ga skeet gun. The details of that switch will come later I’m sure.

All the same, I still greatly enjoy shooting 16 ga, both in the field and at clays. My interest in sporting clays has been rekindled by the skeet experience, albeit with a sharper eye at the guns.

Question now is whether any 16 ga guns exist, new or old, that are suitable for sporting clays. By suitable, I dont mean a gun that will allow one to occasionally break a few targets, but rather a gun that doesn’t handicap the shooter with outdated or ill-fitting features like excess drop, adverse pitch, low combs, etc.

Typical sporting guns today have higher combs, straighter stocks, medium ribs, and other generally accepted design attributes tailored for the purpose. I’m not looking for the perfect sporting 16ga gun. But if I’ve learned one thing from the skeet experience, it’s that if you are fighting the gun, and the gun is fighting back, it’s a recipe for frustration.

For purposes of discussion, what are some good 16ga candidates (if any) in this category?

TIA
B.
Byron Whitlock
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 2:59 pm  Reply with quote

When I was shooting a lot of tournaments in 2016 I did most of it with my CZ Ringneck 16ga. The fixed chokes did not bother me a bit. I just used spreader loads for the close targets. That was when Cabela's was selling the good Herter's shells for a good price and I bought seven flats of them that summer. Still reloading those hulls after cutting the crimps down to 2 5/8 for my short chamber LC Smith and Stevens guns.
Another 16 that I have good luck with is my Win M12 which I know many people love.

CZ Ringneck
Win. Model 12
Rem M11
Stevens 235
Hammer bill
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 4:54 pm  Reply with quote

I shoot the trap games regularly with not feeling handicapped. No mater the yardage. Citori 525 32" barrels.
Sporting clays with my citori 525 and 325 26". Also use my Briley full lgt 28 ga tubes for the 16.
325 16 ga and 28 tubes on skeet. I can't see where anyone think they can be handicapped with the 16 with any of those challenges.
It's just a mine thing. Bill
nj gsp
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 5:56 pm  Reply with quote

I shoot trap in league most of the year, and use a Beretta 12ga with 30" barrels for that. I have a couple years to go before I save up enough Cabela's bucks to fund the 725 Trap Max or Trap Golden Clays...

But the stock style of the 725 is very similar to the 525, which I have the Field model with 28" barrels in 16 gauge, and I shoot it fairly well. I don't usually hunt with it these days, as I have others I enjoy carrying more, but I've killed a lot of birds and broken a lot of clays with it.

The long barrel versions (30-32") of the 525 16 gauge are not easy to find, but I would not have a problem using this model for any clay bird games.
Brewster11
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 8:26 pm  Reply with quote

Hammer Bill, I fully agree with you that the 16 ga is not a handicap in itself. Our best shooters at the club mostly use 7/8 which the 16 handles easily. To clarify, for me a handicap is a gun that won’t point where you are looking, either through poor fit or design, or a gun that doesn’t hit where you point it.

Like a pair of shoes, there are many ways a gun won’t fit or work well, and only one way where it will fit and work best. The latter seems to be a challenge to me. I have a couple 16 ga guns that are amazingly good shooters (like the little M12) but aren’t ideal for sporting clays, hence the inquiry.

I like the idea of a 30 or 33” 525.

B.
jim18611865
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 5:15 am  Reply with quote

I cannot imagine going to a larger gauge for better skeet scores.
I went to a 28 gauge a little over a year ago. My best scores ever.

Maybe one of those 30" Citoris in 16 gauge would make a good sporting gun.

I've always found fit and feel are more important than anything else.

Jim
df
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:26 am  Reply with quote

I shoot a lot of sporting clays with a 16 ga, 28” grade III citori. I’m just shooting with friends, not registered rounds. I can’t tell the difference between that gun and my 12 ga beretta.
Hammer bill
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 8:34 am  Reply with quote

Brewster11 wrote:
Hammer Bill, I fully agree with you that the 16 ga is not a handicap in itself. Our best shooters at the club mostly use 7/8 which the 16 handles easily. To clarify, for me a handicap is a gun that won’t point where you are looking, either through poor fit or design, or a gun that doesn’t hit where you point it.

Like a pair of shoes, there are many ways a gun won’t fit or work well, and only one way where it will fit and work best. The latter seems to be a challenge to me. I have a couple 16 ga guns that are amazingly good shooters (like the little M12) but aren’t ideal for sporting clays, hence the inquiry.

I like the idea of a 30 or 33” 525.

B.
Brewster. I've had a couple of guns with different adjustments to be made. I just found that I was tinkering or fine tuning so to say all the time. Always try to make the gun to shoot where I was looking. Then one day it acured to me as why not learn to shoot where the gun patterns without any adjustment. I have never looked backed. From then all the guns I bought were nonadjustable stocks. I just learned to look where the gun shoots. I hope I explained myself well.
Hammer bill
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 8:35 am  Reply with quote

Brewster11 wrote:
Hammer Bill, I fully agree with you that the 16 ga is not a handicap in itself. Our best shooters at the club mostly use 7/8 which the 16 handles easily. To clarify, for me a handicap is a gun that won’t point ( plwhere you are looking, either through poor fit or design, or a gun that doesn’t hit where you point it.

I like the idea of a 30 or 32

B.
Brewster. I've had a couple of guns with different adjustments to be made. I just found that I was tinkering or
fine tuning so to say all the time. Always try to make the gun to shoot where I was looking. Then one day it acured to me as why not learn to shoot where the gun patterns without any adjustment. I have never looked backed. From then all the guns I bought were nonadjustable stocks. I just learned to look where the gun shoots. I hope I explained myself well. Never did get a stock with perfect fit. Had custom stocks made but in the end was just money spent.
MSM2019
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:41 am  Reply with quote

Personally, I shoot a Remington 1100 in 16 gauge for a sporting clays and 5 stand.

Others have noted the 525's in 16 gauge for sporting.

I think the one that might be missing is the Rizzini Comp 16.

You might take a look at that shotgun. It has a lot of features.

Just to be clear about this, I am speaking about being reasonably competitive and getting a punch now and then while using a 16 gauge shotgun.

I also shoot sporting clays with some of my other 16's and it is fun, but not hardly competitive.

Last edited by MSM2019 on Wed Feb 21, 2024 2:26 pm; edited 2 times in total

jswanson
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:42 am  Reply with quote

I regularly shoot Sporting Clays with a 16. I have a few, but my favorite is a Fox Sterling worth, 28" Barrels, factory choked Cyl and Cyl. I've also used Elsie's, Parkers, and Lefever's. Most are choked quite open, Cyl / Ic, Mod / IC,, I do have one that is Mod and Full but most often find an open choke to do better.

Dimensions are what your would expect on a 100 Year old shotgun. All barrels are 28 Except the F / M which is 26". I enjoy them all and often use a Rugged gear cart and take several. My opinion is you don't play a round of Golf with one club so why limit your game buy shooting clays with one gun.

Works for me.

Joe

jswanson
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:46 am  Reply with quote

I regularly shoot Sporting Clays with a 16. I have a few, but my favorite is a Fox Sterlingworth, 28" Barrels, factory choked Cyl and Cyl. I've also used Elsie's, Parkers, and Lefever's. Most are choked quite open, Cyl / IC, Mod / IC, Mod / Mod, I do have one that is Mod and Full but most often find an open choke to do better.

Dimensions are what your would expect on a 100 Year old shotgun. All barrels are 28 except the F / M which is 26". I enjoy them all and often use a Rugged gear cart and take along several. My opinion is you don't play a round of Golf with one club so why limit your game buy shooting clays with one gun.

Works for me.

Joe

DanLee
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:58 pm  Reply with quote

I shoot skeet, trap, and sporting clays with my 16-gauge Citori White Lightning. Never have felt handicapped with it, and I reload shot weights of 3/4, 7/8, and 1 oz respectively for the three games. Learn the gun, it won't learn you.
Cold Iron
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:58 pm  Reply with quote

A 12 ga. isn't going to help you in skeet. One bit. I did finally break 50 with a 12 ga. ~quarter century ago though. With 3/4 oz. of #8. It was before 7/8 oz. 12 ga. wads let alone 3/4 were available. Green Duster wad with a lot of honey nut Cheerios. And lots of candle wax dripped on the opening in the crimps.

Couple of years ago shot a round of skeet with my Win 23 28" 20 ga. Had Briley install thinwalls and thought I had the pair of .004 in that I had them bore match for me. Ran the field and one of the squad mates said I was really hammering them today. And was hanging a lot of smoke. Got done and found that I had a .004 in the case, I ran them with .004 and .014.

Use less lead for skeet and less recoil. And don't worry so much about your equipment for shooting anything.

For sporting clays and 5 stand in the 16 ga. the B. Rizzini 32" Comp 16 with Briley bore matched .014 chokes will take care of most any target. As will a 30" Dickinson Plantation Sporter 16 ga. If they don't it isn't the gun.

Brewster11
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 8:18 pm  Reply with quote

That Rizzini is exactly what I’m talking about, very nice! But I don’t see them anywhere. Was it a special order?

B.