16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Interesting old Iver Johnson 16......
Birdswatter
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:54 am  Reply with quote

Sold in a lot on Gunrunner auctions today. Looked like it was in pretty nice shape. My first shotgun was a Stevens 20 gauge single that kicked like a mule.

http://www.gunrunnerauctions.com/listings/details/index.cfm?itemnum=852303492
fin2feather
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:25 am  Reply with quote

I walked many a mile carrying an old I. Johnson like that, but in .410; probably a lot of others here did too. I've always wanted to get one; the one I carried disappeared long ago. I remember a neat pic in an old Upland Almanac (I think it was Grouse Point Almanac in those days) with a couple birds and a cool old single shot .410.

I've got a cute little Stevens .410 double, but no single shot; every time I see one for sale I think about getting it but know I probably wouldn't use it; it'd likely just be "for looks".

Anyway, sorry to hijack your thread; that gun just reminded me.

Fin

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
Birdswatter
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:29 am  Reply with quote

That's what it's all about Fin, thanks for sharing. I have no idea where my old Stevens went. I refinished the stock on it with a linseed oil finish and thought it looked real "custom". At the time, I thought it was the greatest gun I had ever seen, even though the forend popped off every time I fired it, and it beat my shoulder relentlessly.
hoashooter
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:09 pm  Reply with quote

A single shot witha rib--for competition---hmmmmm--
clayflingythingy
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:51 am  Reply with quote

I have a Baikal single shot 12 with vent rib. I can do pretty good work with it. Never shot an IJ single but I can't hit squat with H&R singles. Seems the guns, which way 5-6 pounds, are just too light for me to do good work with.
Birdswatter
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:19 pm  Reply with quote

I neglected to mention that I was the buyer of this old IJ. I received it today. Guess I bought it due to my very first shotgun was a single 20, and the idea of having one in 16 was interesting. This IJ is tight as a vault, lever right of center, mirror bores, much remaining case color and no evidence of misuse or damage. seems like a very solid little gun.. definitely has some age, but not alot of use. I've never seen one with checkering and a broad, solid rib. Should be fun to try out on some birds.