16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Longshot Powder Usage
Hal M. Hare
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2024 5:16 am  Reply with quote

Anyone else using Longshot Powder. Just re-ordered and cost just about doubled -
4 lbs now cost about what 8 lbs cost awhile back. 21.5 grains w/Claybuste's WINAA16 replacement w 7/8 ounce loads in chedite hulls. Will eventually switch to BP wads since I have 1,000's I bought from the former importer.

These loads have worked well at clay targets for me.

df
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2024 6:39 am  Reply with quote

I use it exclusively in 28 ga, 20 ga and 12 ga heavy hunting loads. I usually do not use it in 16 ga loads. [/i]
Riflemeister
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2024 7:40 am  Reply with quote

I am trying a load published in Ballistic Products' 16 ga manual to replace my former one-ounce load using Universal that I use for preserve birds and field trialing. It was the only load using the SG-16 wad and one ounce of shot listed for Longshot powder. The load is 23 gr of Longshot and listed at 1250 fps.

I used the Universal load for a field trial with the temps down in the teens and found the birds not falling like I'm used to but wasn't sure what was going on until I cleaned the gun. I found the barrels extremely fouled with carbon and unburnt powder that had a consistency akin to tar. Reading up on Longshot powder indicates less than 6% velocity loss with sub-zero cold soak of the shells. That cold weather issue with Universal cost my pup the Gun Dog of the Year title. I still need to pattern the Longshot load, but the velocity I got was 1230 fps.

3drahthaars
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2024 8:18 am  Reply with quote

I've got a pound and my club has kegs on hand, so if it patterns with my components in a published recipe I'm all in.
nj gsp
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2024 8:06 pm  Reply with quote

I recently ran through a round of trap using Longshot. I'm not home right now so I'm not going to post the recipe I used without my notes handy.

I have not chronographed this load yet because my new Chrono was delivered late last week, but I found myself shooting behind the clays more often than not so I'm guessing it's pretty slow. Lots of powder residue in the barrel. It was chilly at around 36 degrees, but not sub zero. Plus the shells were inside until I walked out to the range to shoot, so they weren't cold.

I'm not terribly impressed with Longshot...
Citori16
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 2:48 am  Reply with quote

I have used it for the past 2 seasons in my 1 oz match loads, also in my 1-1/8 oz heavy wind match loads. I also use it in various hunting loads. I like a speed around 1350 fps. Yes, it is dirty & loud. I like the pattern, wide & evenly dispersed in my recipe. Speed deviation is not the best, but +/- 50fps doesn't matter much to me. No FTF's so far, and no discernible speed degradation in cold weather.

I had bought about 16 pounds of it back when there was little of anything else available, I wish I had a good recipe for it in 3/4 oz for practice loads, but other powders now available seem to work much better with light loads.

FWIW, I think any recipe with Longshot & straight wall hulls should use the BP or Gualandi wads over the Win/Claybuster or Rem wads to reduce the chance of powder migration.

putz463
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 3:50 am  Reply with quote

nj gsp wrote:
I recently ran through a round of trap using Longshot. I'm not home right now so I'm not going to post the recipe I used without my notes handy...

It'll be interesting to learn what wad/hull combo that recipe has in it.

Besides my experience with it being inconsistent drops due to static, a proper tight fitting wad (ob cup) and hull match up is pretty important with Longshot minimizing powder migration.

Hal M. Hare
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 12:30 pm  Reply with quote

All-Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I am satisfied w/this powder for clays. Using 21.5 grains and 1 ounce lead #8's.

Seems like shot will be the more difficult component now.

nj gsp
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 7:22 pm  Reply with quote

putz463 wrote:

It'll be interesting to learn what wad/hull combo that recipe has in it.

That info I know - Cheddite hulls trimmed to 2-9/16" with the BPI SG-16 wad. I started with new pre-primed hulls. Not crazy about the wad choice, but that was what was in the recipe. This wad and hull fit very nicely together, a good tight slip fit as it should be.

No powder migration I've seen with Longshot in the ones I've cut open to check, but considering the fit I doubt there'd be a migration problem with any powder.

Unlike the Fiocchi new primed hulls I have, which every wad I've tried rattles around in and some fall out of when I turn them upside down.
putz463
PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 1:40 am  Reply with quote

"....the more difficult component now." Availability or cost?

Sounds good, reasonably sure migration wasn't the issue. Concur, Ched hulls & SG16 are a great fitting combo, have and will continue to load and shoot thousands of the pairing in my 16's.

If the speed due to an anemic powder call out isn't the issue maybe look toward how consistent your drops are?

John1
PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 5:35 pm  Reply with quote

I use it for my 1 1/8 oz squirrel loads. Works very well on rabbits as well. I stick to Universal for 1 oz loads but getting frightfully low on that stuff. Will have to find a substitute soon.

John
robp
PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 5:49 pm  Reply with quote

I use it in my buffered 1 oz and non buffered 1 1/8 loads in the 16 gauge
I also use in my buffered 12 gauge 1 1/4 buffered loads My favorite