16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Sweet “16” success
Citori16
PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:19 pm  Reply with quote

For what it’s worth, I do not like bragging…humility is what keeps me going, as it focuses my attention on the things I want to accomplish. And I’m sure many of you will look on this as a step you have taken many years ago so enjoy as I relive this moment with you.

Tony’s team lost to us the first go around. We shoot together a lot. He regularly shoots 50’s, and I call him the sandbagger. He pokes at me for my 16 ga “kids gun”, but it’s all in fun. On the second go around I tied him with a 46, and our teams went into double overtime to settle a tie. We lost by two, neither team shot their best, but a battle it was and so they tied us for first in Div 4. With two matches left in the regular season, we knew it would be our two teams shooting off for first place.

The league chose Ledyard for the shoot off to nullify team advantage, but Tony and I had shot night skeet there regularly, and Vinny, our 79 year old veteran started his skeet career there with a couple of Top Gun awards, so it was mostly a symbolic gesture. Tony had joined Ledyard to enjoy the reloading supply opportunities, so he now shot there regularly beyond night skeet, and as such, brought his team there to prep. As Vinny was still a member, he brought Captain Ed there this past week a couple of times to get him familiar. I was on duty with a harrowing week so opted to forego any re-familiarization.

I ended up practicing with Vinny and Captain Ed on Saturday, then shot two more rounds at my new club using the newly acquired DR16s for some 3/4 oz rounds. Bill and John did not show, but they regularly shoot well on short notice…Bill one time did not realize we had a match, showed up just in time and shot a 49 with his 1100…that’s just how he is. John never practices but can still run the stations like a division one shooter. I video John on every station 6 because he usually celebrates in grand fashion after a successful double. He’s nicknamed me the USS Misouri for my loud Longshot loads.

A couple of weeks ago, after watching GB for a sub 6lb gun, I found a 16 ga Citori Lightning Feather, price was slightly higher than expected, but I think it all worked out well. Little did I know that it would become more important than just a long trek gun to be used as a backup for the White Lightning. After my rounds yesterday at the other club, when cleaning the WL I noticed a crack in the stock on the other side from the one that had been fixed. Now there was panic…do I risk the WL stock breaking mid-match or do I take the chance in the Unicorn Lightning Feather which I had foresworn to keep to lighter loads? Would it cause me to flinch? Can it handle my Misouri loads of one ounce at 1350 fps? Full disclosure, this gun flies to my shoulder with little error…my maiden shoot with it was a 23. A light gun is an advantage for a low gun shooter like me, and it feels so right. I took all three Citoris, the WL, Gr 6 and LF to the match, resolving to rely on gut feel when I got to the field. I made extra match rounds, using Activ hulls instead of the normal Cheddite… red for “No Quarter”, for none is expected and none shall be given.

At the field, I instinctively grabbed the LF. Tony and Ed had flipped a coin for who goes first…it’s us. We wait a bit for John to show, and then perform our warmup round. I prefer to call it a calibration round, as it helps me to calibrate my lead. After Tony’s team does their warm up round we line up to shoot our first round. Station one goes well, but station two has been my nemesis lately and I drop the first high house….24 the hard way, as we say. And that’s how it goes for me. Bill cranks our a 24 with me, groaning as he misses station 7 high. Vinny churns up a 25, regardless of clays dancing in the wind. We crush out a 115…not bad. Tony’s team puts out a 109, even with his 25…we have a window!

On our second regular match a month ago I had actually shot a 25 on the second round…two tiny chips flew out but no one besides me and Bill noticed them, and it would’ve clinched the win. Shannon from Tony’s team made the final call. Shannon’s a good guy and used to shoot low gun like me, but he missed the mark. Shannon was now pulling for our team on the second round. I was doing well, breathing deeply between stations and focusing as hard as possible, even praying occasionally. I made it through station two unscathed along with John, then station six. Vinny dropped one on three but stayed together. I made it to station 8 low without missing. John clinches a 25. I smack the first low house, then reset for the second….every bird counts. I get into position and my mind thinks “Do I dare?….yes, I do!” I call for the bird but instead of “Pull”, I call “Chips!” then crush the second low house with the new gun…I am happy! We crank out a 118 for the second round, to put the pressure on Tony’s team. Tony effortlessly puts out his typical 50, but it’s not enough. Having been 6 behind at the half, and even with a scorching 116 for the second match it’s over.

Tony shakes my hand post-match and says “I still beat you”…I reply “Yeah, you did, f**ker”, and we know we’ll be chasing sporting clay shoots all summer together. Good times to keep in the memory bank for years to come.

DUKFVR
PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 3:24 pm  Reply with quote

Thats what its about! Having fun with friends!
Citori16
PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 3:42 pm  Reply with quote

Yes it is! And for the record, you probably shouldn’t eat a station 8 grouse…lead poisoning and all…

BarkeyVA
PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:27 am  Reply with quote

Citori16 wrote:
Yes it is! And for the record, you probably shouldn’t eat a station 8 grouse…lead poisoning and all…

That would be a "pillow shot." Nothing but feathers!