16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Bascheri & Pelargri Hulls
probie
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2024 5:19 am  Reply with quote

Just wondering, has anyone tried to reload these in 16ga ? Recent post resurrected a discussion about them on Shotgun world. I like the challenge of reloading anyway & i think its a hoot to be breaking out multiple boxes of different hulls to shoot. It was mentioned that B&P were using the "Gordon " system with a recoil suppressor in the wad (?) Their rep at the time said that worked only once and that components were being made to address that but that didn't address a 16 ga reloading. I called them & now they are being distributed by Fiocchi which is not importing any 16 ga at this point. I 've read some great reviews about B&P in the past and they were always economical compared to the others.
So... i'm guessing they were not Cheds & Ched data could not be used ? For some who tried in the other gauges, some usual stack height and bad crimps were encountered.
When they were available, anyone here try 'em in 16 ?
Old colonel2
PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2024 8:12 pm  Reply with quote

They are chedittes

Depending on which B&P they are 2 5/8 rather than 2 3/4

You can use cheditte date to reload them

Note you can use 2 3/4 data in shorter hulls as long as it fits.
MSM2019
PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2024 10:14 pm  Reply with quote

The 16 gauge B & P hulls never had the Gordon system. If they aren't Cheddites they are close.

The 12 gauge B & P hulls do use the Gordon system which does crack after the first firing, but you can continue to reload them with no problem. Use Cheddite data for them.

Last edited by MSM2019 on Fri May 17, 2024 4:52 am; edited 2 times in total

probie
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2024 2:29 am  Reply with quote

Thank You Gentleman, for awhile there thought i was an outcast. I became very interested in these because just about every review i've ever read on B&P ammo was favorable plus, their 16 ga offerings were just what i was looking for. Just when i decided to get some, they became unobtainable, at least here in the US. Fiocchi is now managing them and the 16 ga line is only, at this time, being sold in Europe. Fios Golden Pheasant are a direct competitor to the B&Ps and cost a few $$$more /box. The sales rep says they may come back. If they do, i'd give'em a try.
Thanks again....
putz463
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2024 2:47 am  Reply with quote

Have a few handfuls of them mixed in w/the other Ched style hulls cut down for the short range target reloads, as mentioned, also use Ched data.

Interesting mouse trap that Gordon System... https://baschieri-pellagriusa.com/innovation/the-gordon-system.html

MSM2019
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2024 5:00 am  Reply with quote

IMHO, the Gordon System is more gimmick than anything. The basewad has a hollow space in it which flexes and cracks upon firing. I shot some B & P ammo at a 100 target sporting clays benefit shoot, where the ammo was supplied. It wasn't that it was bad ammo, it didn't recoil funny, it's just that I couldn't tell the difference in recoil. The B & P shells I used felt an awful lot like my 1 1/8 oz. 1,200 FPS 12 gauge reloads.

Kinda like Federal papers to my mind. They claim there is a recoil difference between papers and regular Federal GM loads, yeah well, if the loads are the same the hull material doesn't change the recoil impulse, at least not for me.

To be clear I like Federal papers and B & P ammo with the Gordon System, but not because of some supposed recoil reduction.

The club I shoot at, has B & P 12 gauge target ammo right now. If you don't like the way regular 12 gauge 1 1/8 oz. 3 dram loads recoil, you aren't gonna like these any better.