16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Favorite Boots?
XVIgauge
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 4:34 am  Reply with quote

I really enjoyed reading all of the posts about everyone's favorite vest. Probably (next to our 16 gauge guns) our most important bit of hunting gear is our boots. What brand and style do you like?
I have tried them all. I am a little guy (13 3/8" LOP) and have small feet. I have difficulty finding anything to fit. But, I can sometimes make do w/ a size 7, and one of the best pairs of boots I have is Cabelas upland w/ Gor-Tex. The very best I have is a pair of Russell McIntosh Bird Shooters that were custom made to my feet and fit very well. Another neat looking boot I have is the Westly Richards Courtney Tracker. I even wear those to work.
A lot of bang (or boot) for the buck is Georgia, and I still have an old pair of LL.Bean rubber bottom/leather top that have been reconditioned by Bean several times that I still wear on occasion.
Let's hear what you like.
XVI

thunderstick
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 8:27 am  Reply with quote

I have the Danner boots, the insulated ones which I acquired from Cabela's about 8 years ago ( I had to cut the Cabela's label off the tongue as that was way too obnoxious for me). the boots are water proof pretty much which helps when I step into a small mountain brook.I try to keep them young with snow seal a couple times a season, but would like to hear other member's recommendations as to leather treatment. These were the only boots I could find which fit a very narrow foot like mine ( Width "B"). I would highly recommend these boots to anyone with a very narrow foot. at times they are too warm, and if the budget allowed I'd also get a non-insulated pair.
Captain_Billy
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 8:40 pm  Reply with quote

I wear Redwing boots because I have a wide foot and can get my size. I wear a size 10 but an "H" width and that equals around 5 or 6 E. Its easy to track me! For good weather huntin I wear non isultated Irish setters and for wet/cold huntin Irish setters with Gore-Tex. The big issue with boots is a pair the fits, don't hurt and does the job. Seems I run into some guy every year with a great"bargin" pair of hunting boots, yeah right! If a guy has a boot that fits and don't hurt it sure makes bird hunting good. You can't enjoy anything if your feet hurt, not even a beer.
Best -B- Laughing
TJC
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 5:56 am  Reply with quote

I'm pretty much a Rocky boot guy. I have a pair that is almost uninsulated for early upland etc. and another pair with heavy insulation for colder times later in the season. Both pair are Gortex lined and light weight.

IDcut
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 5:56 pm  Reply with quote

I wear a pair of Nick's custom for most of my upland hunting. A bit heavy perhaps, but can't be beat for comfort.
Parker Trojan
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 7:12 pm  Reply with quote

Good topic, wish I'd thought of it. Thunderstick wears a B width, I wear an A width but can live with a B. Most of my boots are Redwing but I also like my Bean rubber hunting boots as well as their goretex hikers. I used to really enjoy my Italian Vasque boots but now they cost$200 and are made in China-bummer
Orry
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 4:26 pm  Reply with quote

I'll second the Russell Moccasin Company boots. Many years and many of their boots, they don't wear out, they just feel better with wear. South 40 Bird shooters, a couple pair of the High Country hunters for hunting. Safari PH and Bird Shooters boots for work.
sixteen gunz
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 8:27 pm  Reply with quote

I hike a lot of rough rocky territory and last year started wearing the revised Danner Pronghorns in the uninsulated version. They're comfortable, a hair under 3 lbs. and have a good tread for traction.
sixteen gunz
________
MACINTOSH GAMES

Last edited by sixteen gunz on Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
sixteen gunz
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 8:28 pm  Reply with quote

I hike a lot of rough rocky territory and last year started wearing the revised Danner Pronghorns in the uninsulated version. They're comfortable, a hair under 3 lbs. and have a good tread for traction.
________
JUGGALO

Last edited by sixteen gunz on Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Wolfchief
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 5:11 pm  Reply with quote

I also have the Danner Pronghorns---the uninsulated version---that I used in South Dakota last fall and well into the bird season back here in Indiana. Also, I wear a pair of Red Wing Irish Setters during the early fall, and for heavy-duty winter wear I like the LaCrosse Buckmasters---I'm on my second pair.

Grouser
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 3:06 pm  Reply with quote

My Danner Sequoia boots are splitting at the seams after two years of hunting. Have had the same problem with Rocky boots. Bought a pair of Brownings, but I really don't expect much, boots are a disposable commodity, wet feet are expected. Boots are probably the worst hunting gear ever purchased.
harduck
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 5:45 pm  Reply with quote

I buy inexpensive uninsulated boots. Inexpensive because they get damaged from ice and snow and eventually lose their waterproofing. Uninsulated because they don't make you feet sweat which eventually leads to all sorts of problems and socks do a better job of wicking moisture away from your feet anyway. I gave up on finding the perfect boot and settled for any boot that fit and didn't cost as much as my 16 gauge. Boots just have to be dry and comfortable when you're wandering around the mountains. Anything else is just advertising in my book.