16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Down Range 16 ga wad.
woodcock
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:42 pm  Reply with quote

Hudson, Nash,La Salle, etc. ad nauseam.
Can I get a wad for a 7/8oz. payload that fits a Federal hull?
Slidehammer
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:42 pm  Reply with quote

Popski wrote:
And it isan't "a" carbureter, its "carburetors" as Hudson Hornets had 2 of them.

Ahhh, Popski! You are a man who knows his Hudson Hornets! But I think my favorite thing on them was the clutch. Those cork inserts than ran in oil.... Totally unlike a "normal" car's clutch....That was the smoothest clutch when driving easy, but if you "popped" it with those dual carbs open the rear tires took the brunt!

Old Hudson's and old 16 gauges....... Funny how so many don't know how good they really are/were..... woodcock must be too young to have experienced the Hudson but his choice for a 16 gauge wad is stellar!!!!

Slidehammer
Twice Barrel
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:55 pm  Reply with quote

Quote:
Can I get a wad for a 7/8oz. payload that fits a Federal hull?

Yes and no. If you want a load with no filler - no.

If you want a load and don't mind using a filler you can use a Gualandi GU1621 (also known as Ballistic Product SG16L) with a 1/8th inch 28 guage fiber wad inside the shot cup of the wad to raise the shot column or use some puffed wheat or rice on top of the shot in order to get a level crimp (3 or 4 grains of puffed cerial should be enough)
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:22 pm  Reply with quote

I have to agree with Slidehammer. What he is proposing, a 16 gauge, 7/8 ounce universal wad, would be the answer to a 16 ga reloader's dream. Its what I've been hoping for since I first approached Kevin at Downrange. Its what the majority of us have been clamoring for for as long as I can remember--which is about noon yesterday. Rolling Eyes Laughing. It is the one item we need to reload the light recoiling loads we need to fully enjoy our 16 ga guns all year round instead of only for hunting.

We already have a couple of good one ounce wads plus a good 1-1/8 ounce wad. We already have a wide selection of 1 ounce and heavier store bought loads too. We do not have a wad for light recoiling, 16 gauge recreational loads.

These 16 gauge recreational loads need to have less than 1 ounce of shot to be comfortable for volume shooting in a gun that weighs about the same as the average 20 ga.. Anyone with an ounce of sense already knows this from experience. (pun intended. Laughing)

What in Holy Hanna would be wrong with a 16 ga 7/8 ounce wad suitable for use in any hull? You could load anything from 3/4 ounce to one ounce loads with it easily enough in any hull you could get. Geez, Louise!! What is so wrong with this concept that we are squabbling like kiddies? Guys, this one is a no brainer. Really. I can see this clearly enough, and you all know my brain is damned near non-existant. Sheesh!!
woodcock
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:12 am  Reply with quote

Thank you Slidehammer-BUT-- I do so remember the Hudson although not as fondly as you seem to Wink And for your information I'm older than dirt. Sad
It would be just fine with me if we could manage to get a one-size-fits-all 7/8oz. wad , I just happen to use Federal hulls (and their clones) most as they seem to be the most durable, etc. hence my specification of that hull. There seem to be several other wads available that meet most 1oz. and 1 1/8oz. requirements.
Anything so I don't have to resort to legumes, grain, love beads or other debris in my 7/8 oz.reloads Razz
carpe dm
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:17 am  Reply with quote

I sure would like to see them produce some good wads for the 2 1/2" hull. I would use 3/4oz and 1oz wads, and I know there is a growing number of folks shooting their old 2 1/2 and 2 9/16" chambered guns, who would buy them too!

old16
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 5:02 pm  Reply with quote

I have several old style AA hulls. We must remember that no matter how much we try to save them they will all be gone someday.

If I were a manufactrue I would be looking at making a wad for the modern hulls. Probably a couple of styles so their is a choice in loads. After all I would want some returns on my investments so I could continue in business.

Charles Hammack
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 8:47 pm  Reply with quote

Well I can see that my question has almost answered its self .

I was going to get around to asking what everyone thought about a AA replica with the addition of some powder migration seals and dimisioning this to fit a straight sided hull as well it could be cramed into the remaining AA hulls left floating around.

I have envisioned shorting the pedals to fill the 3/4oz load exactly with a taller center section to accomodate this load through the 7/8oz and perhaps the 1oz as well.

If you folks think this is a worth while project then I am thinking of building this mold and having fun with the development of this and the Replica of the Marlin 90 as well.

Let me know what you think.
If the wad companies dont want to help then perhaps I will have some fun providing a value to the many 16er out there.

Regards Charles
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:29 am  Reply with quote

Charles, all I can say is Why not? Are you in the plastic injection molding business? If so, Then go for it post haste. You sound like you have the basic concept of a perfect wad for 16 ga. recreational ammo well in mind.

I personally don't care if the new wad is a modified WWAA clone, a copy of a Remington game wad, one of their figure 8 styles (although for versatility, this type is one of the best) or something totally new. As long as it works well, who should care.

What I know about injection molding plastic wads could be written on a postage stamp and leave room for a few chapters of the KJB. However, if you do, then I think you will both make some money and fill a niche that really needs filling. I know most of the 16 ga. reloaders here will buy them in quantity if the price is competative. I know I would in spite of the fact I have plenty of R16 wads. I've always been willing to incorporate the best available tool or item for any job. Good luck. I hope you ain't just blowing pipe dream smoke.
woodcock
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:30 am  Reply with quote

The wads are interesting and will doubtlessly be well received by many of the members of this forum, but I was particularly struck by your comment on the Model 90. Don't use these little things much but they are the best way to communicate now Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Charles Hammack
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:26 pm  Reply with quote

Hello 16gaguy & Woodcock:

I will give you a condensed version of my background.

I shot Domestic Trap and Bunker Trap for several years when I was in my teens thru my thirtys very competive I might add.

I got aquainted with one of the leading firms that cater to the trapshooting industry ( ie: shooting their bbls ) was taken in and shown how to build bbls and comenced to produce, bbls, release triggers, pull triggers and other parts for them out of my shop. if anyone shoots trap they would recognise some of the products . I had a fall out with these people over marketing practices ( allowing the customer to proof the product , I dissagree with this practice) and these people were like family to me over the years and it was hard to part ways but I did it none the less.

I have a small shop that I employeed 7 Machinist and Welders then when NAFTA went to work my type of work dried up and went to Canada and China
I hung on for 6 months and having not paid off the equipment I laid off everyone and found a job as a Machinist at a Hospital and am still there and running my shop with a couple of guys coming in when needed in response to the workload.

I work 40hrs at the Hospital and typically 20-60hrs at my shop for myself I enjoy the arrangement I have now , I can work or I can go hunting if I wish ( the hospital is good to me , I get 5 weeks vacation , which I have never had before ) so I am looking at the Merits and Validity of making this Mold
I dont want to make the thing and then have Downrange or one of the other wad companies come out with what have envisioned .

I would prefer that they take the hit and make the wad that I want , but if not I would take the plunge and hope everyone is thinking what I am in a wad, I would like as much input as poss. from everone WHAT DO YOU THINK IS A GREAT WAD CONSTRUCTION???

I favor the Gualandi Rex 24 style wad but this is a very complex designed mold , the Rem Fig 8 is not a bad wad and the design is much cheaper to make , the Win AA is a good compromise not a bad wad , not the best by any means but I have made some fantastic loads with this wad indeed, the Fed 12S0 is a good wad but a bit on the difficult side to make , the windjammer is a great wad if the cocking in the hull at the time of loading was taken care of but still not an easy mold, the Remington powerpiston I just never did like that design although it is less complex and I have to admit I have made some awsome loads with this wad .

I will direct you to my future posting in the General Discussion Column I will name it MARLIN 90 Replica , The first part to this story is in the 16ga FOR COMPETITION column

I hope I dont bore anyone with my lack of writing skills , but I have been FIRED UP ON THIS 16GA MARLIN 90 and will hopfully fill in the blanks and not leave anything out so please bear with me and give me your inputs and insights I may have overlooked something that might be important .

Regards Charles
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:22 am  Reply with quote

Charles, I figured the figure 8 style was the least complex of all of them. However, there might be an even simpler solution. Why not mold just a shot cup capable of holding a full 3/4 ounce of #7-1/2 shot. This cup would also work for 7/8 ounce of shot and even would be okay for 1 ounce close range loads. Then mold a base wad and post that interlocks with or inserts into the bottom of the shot cup. The base wad post could be molded a bit on the long side and could be trimmed to any reasonable needed length with toe nail clippers. The base wad cup should have a flared edge big enough to seal a Cheddite hull, but would be compressable for use in a Remington hull.

The resulting wad would be both easy to machine and cast, plus would be a universal wad for anyone and for any hull. This is the system Federal is using now. They have two units that are adaptable for a number of loads. The wads work very well in factory ammo. Pulling one of their 16 ga Estate loads might give you som insight.

Let me know what you think. I doubt the cocking issue is all that important. Folks would just have to learn how to load them correctly. Federal has been using this system for years now. Their Estate trap loads use it and the loads are one of the most popular around now. They do so on automated, high volume machines. If they can do it, a knowledgeabe handloader with a properly adjusted machine should also be able to.
woodcock
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:14 pm  Reply with quote

Charles, to continue with GG's proposal: A single base wad, such as the one described by GG that could be 'trimmed', to provide a base for more than one shot cup. Various capacity shotcups could then be used. More than one mold to be sure, but only one over powder wad and perhaps a 3/4 to 7/8 oz.payload cup as well as a 1oz. to 1 1/8oz. cup.???????????
britgun
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:23 pm  Reply with quote

Gents, I too extinct use AA hulls, what is the next best thing when these are all gone, in your opinions?

What have you all had the best results with besides the AA's? Black Rems? Cheddites?

b'gun

woodcock
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:56 am  Reply with quote

'B'--For myself I like the Federal container but it's 'roomy' and the Remington wads don't seem very snug in my reloads, allowing some powder migration. B/P's wad(s) however appear to be a good fit.
Over the years I have pretty much settled on a very restricted repertory of reloading components that are consistently available. Minimizes storage requirements, as well as the possibility of loading errors.