16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Just received 500 once fired Win AA - have question
jig
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:08 am  Reply with quote

I ordered 500 12GA Win AA once fired hulls. It seems there are 3 different types of labeling on these hulls as follows:

1. AA 2 3/4 - 1 1/8 - 8- Light

2. AA 3 - 1 1/8 -8 Heavy

3.Winchester Super Speed Game Load - 7 1/2

I want to know if there are any loading limitations to any of these in terms of shot capacity. Or, can I load any of these shells with from 7/8 -1 1/4 of shot. Is the "light" and "Heavy" designation just for what they were originally packed with? And, not the limiting factor in what I put in them?

Whats funny is that on the box these hulls came in its labeled as follows:
Winchester Once fired Hulls 12Guage AA Red 1 1/8 - 7 1/2 Heavy QTY: 500

But in fact, some are labeled "Light" and some are labeled "heavy" And some are even labeled "Game Load"..
Dave Miles
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:11 am  Reply with quote

To my knowledge the Win. AA hulls are all the same. Doesn't matter if there red or gray, or what they were originally loaded with.
I use these hulls with 90 grains(by volume) of Pyrodex, and 1 oz. of shoot.
Black Powder's Cool. Wink

rayb
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:27 pm  Reply with quote

Dave M. wrote:

I use these hulls with 90 grains(by volume) of Pyrodex, and 1 oz. of shoot.
Black Powder's Cool. Wink

Smokeless powder is merely a passing fad..... Laughing

rayb

hoashooter
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:30 pm  Reply with quote

look down the game load to ensure there is no plastic basewad there---or use a pencil
jig
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:26 pm  Reply with quote

waddaya mean by that-isnt it supposed to have a plastic base wad?
jchandler
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 5:11 am  Reply with quote

jig, the one-piece AA hulls have the base wad as part of the one piece hull. There is no distinct separate base wad.
Jeff
jig
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:57 am  Reply with quote

These hulls are not 1 piece hulls according to BPI.
These are the nw AA HS (high strength which are a 3 piece riefenhaus design. - check it out below
https://shop2.mailordercentral.com/bpicart/prodinfo.asp?number=AABW12
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:47 am  Reply with quote

You are right Jig, the new AAHS hulls have a seperate, bowl shaped base wad to retain the same volume and combustion chamber shape as the old compression formed, 1 piece hulls. As luck would have it, in the 12 ga size, any wad suitable for the old AA hulls will fit his one. all the old reloading data will give you nearly identical results according to Olin. These new hulls are supposed to have a stronger wall and mouth and to last longer.

I can't say. I reload Reminton STS hulls for my trap loads. I get my acceptable 2 reloadings for registered birds and up to 6 or 7 total for practice ammo, which is plenty good enough. I don't reload hulls until they look like the end of a stubbed out stogie. Laughing

However, the 28 and 410 AAHS hulls need the new AAHS wads to work. The old style AA wads are now problematic in the little gauges. I do not know how the data isssue stacks up. I don't care either. I have about 5K of each of the old style hulls and lots of wads too. I should get 7 or 8 reloads out of each lot so that is 70-80K rounds. I think I'll probably be worm food before I use them all up now.
16GAwaterfowler
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 4:45 am  Reply with quote

According to everyone I have asked, which is Alliant, Hogdon, Winchester etc., the new HSAA hulls can be used with the same load recipes as the older AA hulls. I have tried loading some and they do shoot about the same, that's the good news. Now for the bad news. for some reason many of the older AA load recipes won't fit in the newer type hulls, at first I thought it was the edge of the wad catching on the end of the innner base wad in the newer hulls. So I cut one down and tried pushing a AA wad into the inner wad section, yes it does go in and if you use enough wad pressure it will go into the inner base wad section with powder in the hull. Two thoughts on this, either the newer type hulls have less case capacity than the older hulls due to the inner base wad or they are not as flexible as the older compression formed hulls and will not conform to the same loads and instead crush when you crimp them. I have spoken with several other reloaders on this and the best solution we can come up with is to use a dfferent wad type with a lower shotcup or shorter wad in these hulls. I do not recommend anyone switching components at random as it is not a safe practice.
Lyman lists several loads that call for spacers underneath the shot to raise it up to proper crimp height for the older AA hulls, using these recipes but omiting the spacer has been a very good solution that will not affect load performance. If anyone wants the recipes let me know and I will post them up or PM them to you.