16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Powder Choice
USAFA 71
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:32 pm  Reply with quote

I reload for the 12/20/28, using H-Clays for target loads(7/8 oz and 1 oz) in the 12 ga, and H-Universal in the 20 and 28. I took the new Citori 16 ga out today, and with temperatures in the low 30s, my 1 oz loads with H-Universal seemed to leave a lot of unburned powder.

What powders do members recommend for 7/8 oz and 1 oz target loads? I will be using Fiocchi and Remington black hulls. I have the LPG data, but I was hoping to find something with a clean burning powder, like Clays. I have no experience with non-Hodgdon powders(ie Alliant/Winchester/Accurate). I appreciate any help. Very Happy
Dave Miles
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:17 pm  Reply with quote

I use mainly IMR SR-7625 and Longshot for my 16 gauge low pressure loads. And Longshot in my 28 gauge loads.

jim18611865
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:49 pm  Reply with quote

I have had the same experience as you. Since you have the LPG data, just try a faster powder than Univ. You will have to buy something though. There were no Clays recipies, but a couple of Red Dot. I am leery about using Red Dot though since there is little room for error. I am going to try Int. Clays (since I have an 8 lber sitting around) in a 7/8 oz. It just has to be cleaner. I will report when I do, but it may be a while.
mike campbell
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:18 pm  Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes

Last edited by mike campbell on Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
20m3s
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:05 pm  Reply with quote

I hope I'm not hijacking USAFA71's thread, but I'm basically in the same boat.

I'm new to shotshell reloading, with a MEC sizemaster and a couple of newer Citoris to load for. I have lots of Fiocchi, Federal and black Remington hulls, Remington SP16 wads, the LPG data and manuals from the powder companies.

In addition to a powder recommendation for light skeet loads, I'm looking for a powder recommendation for 1 1/8 oz. pheasant loads. I'm hoping to duplicate Fiocchi Golden Pheasant factory loads (approx. 1300 fps). It looks like Longshot and Blue Dot might be good powders to try for this.

I'm hoping for a powder that works in colder weather and is clean-burning. Any recommendations?

Apologies to USAFA71 and thanks!

-20m3s
jig
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:17 pm  Reply with quote

I'm getting great results with SR4756 and U-Clays for 1oz loads.
The lowest pressure has been with the 4756 @ 8200psi & 1220 FPS.
Some say it is dirty, but I havent really noticed that too much.
The Uclays is a bit cleaner and is great for 1oz loads as well with a bit higher pressure at the same FPS figures as 4756.

I have yet to loead anything lighter than 1oz though, but if you join the low pressure gang you will find anything you need there.

It is well worth the 20 bucks, plus you get a very nice ammo bag with 16GA Society sewn on it - it reeks of quality, as does the group.
jig
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:20 pm  Reply with quote

Oh by the way, you don't need to settle for duplicating Golden pheasant loads......you can load better yourself all day long.
xtimberman
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:38 pm  Reply with quote

I'm really interested in this thread, too! I've just joined the LPG, so I'm looking forward to viewing that data

20m3s,

Better be wary of using that Blue Dot in cold weather! Now it's well known that Blue Dot has burn problems in low temps, but when Blue Dot first came out, I got plenty of experience with squibs and bloopers while goose hunting in winter weather.

xtm
bigkev
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:02 am  Reply with quote

I have had very good results with Int. Clays for reloading the 16. I have a few loads using 7/8 and 1 oz with Fiocchi hulls.
Slidehammer
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:01 am  Reply with quote

IMR PB is a cleaner powder in 7/8-1oz 16 gauge loads than any mentioned so far. Not only that, it is better behaved at lower pressures as well as lower temps.

Slidehammer
pudelpointer
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:18 am  Reply with quote

I use UNIQUE,UNIVERSAL,7625,4756,BLUE DOT and SOLO 1250 all are very dirty. I think it is the nature of the beast if you want to keep pressures down. If you are shooting modern guns like a Citori you can shoot faster powder and higher pressures thus getting a cleaner load. I think once you get above 10,000 psi with faster powders you get a total burn. Every powder I use leaves unburned flakes definitly worse in the cold weather. The cleanest load I use in 19.5 gr universal in a rem hull with an R16 wad 1oz of shot and an sts primer. Its pretty clean has the least amount of unburned powder.
justintime2
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:39 pm  Reply with quote

I like the 7625 - it keeps the pressure low and seems clean eneough for me. I use Clays (very clean) in my 12ga for trap and skeet, but I like to keep the pressures low in my 16 and I haven't found a formula in clays that can do it. I plan on trying some Unique next week in a couple of loads, I've noticed that it can keep the pressure low and also the recoil. I've tried Herco and it's really really dirty and Universal Clays which left more crap in my barrell than the 7625 Mad .
The low pressure reloading group is a great resource and the folks there are really helpful.

bustingclays
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:00 pm  Reply with quote

Gentlemen:

Right now I shoot TWO powders and have pretty good success.

In 12, 16, 20, and 28 I shoot green dot. One 8lb jug covers em all - really convenient.

In the 16 I use 15.5 grains green dot in the cheddite hulls for 1 oz loads and 13.2 grains green dot in the black rem hulls for 3/4 oz loads - disclaimer here for liability for oldsouthernlawyer Wink

I'm shooting 12.5 grains green dot and 3/4 oz in the 28 gauge and 13.5 grains and 7/8 oz in the 20 gauge - you can see that my 16 ga rem black hull load falls right in this area.

In the 410 (2.5" and 3') I'm shooting 410 - got tired of cleaning up that %$#@ winchester 296 that got all over the bench.

In my experience, all powder is dirty - mhop of course!

Dr. 16 Gauge
trust me
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:30 am  Reply with quote

Location: On the banks of the North Fork of the Kentucky River

Does the Low Pressure Group offer some 1 1/8 loads and some more muscular pressures? I'm not terribly interested in low pressure, but need some stouter game loads.

Dave Miles
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 6:28 am  Reply with quote

trust me wrote:
Does the Low Pressure Group offer some 1 1/8 loads and some more muscular pressures? I'm not terribly interested in low pressure, but need some stouter game loads.

Yes they do. Mostly low pressure but there are several higher pressure loads also. Some even pushing the max.