16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Please help..I'm about to spend $2800.00
jig
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 5:16 pm  Reply with quote

Ples everyone help me....I just extracted 2800 bucks from savings in pursuit of a 28GA O/U. Went and fondled two today, a browning Feather XS 30" bbls about 6.5 Lbs and a Browning 425 Elite 28" bbls about 5.8-6LBS
The 425 is lighter and fits great right out of the box. The wood is very nice and the bbls have fixed chokes IC/M. The feather XS is heavier, longer and comes with various chokes. It has stunning wood on it. The XS is 2295.00 and the 425 elite is 2195.00. The 425 balances between the hands and the xs is more weight forward. The XS has vent rib above and between the bbls. The elite has vent rib with solid between bbls. The guns primary purpose will be quail, dove and occaisional pheasant as I see fit. I will also shoot Trap, 5-stand and sporting clays with it. Or, maybe I should forget the whole thing, tube the 12GA XS I have to 28GA and call it good. Or, I could tube the sterlingworth to 28GA as its a sub 6LB gun anyway. Decisions, decisions.
What would y'all do? I don't want to spend any more than 2300.00 as I want enough left over to buy an MEC JR so I can load 28GA shells.

I could also get a less expensive Browning, say a white lightning or some such. I'm pretty much a died in the wool Browning guy unless we're talking American classic SXS's.
britgun
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 5:28 pm  Reply with quote

.....go the cheapest route and get 28ga tube inserts for that 6 pounder you referred to, then take the balance and buy some more classic, reasonable Yankee side by side sixteens....

britgun

Ron Overberg
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:10 pm  Reply with quote

Jig,
If the Stirlingworth fits and is what you like the tubes make great sense. I did this with an old Beretta and think it is a better choice than a heavy weight 28g. There would be enough left over for shells, press and maybe a hunting trip to break it in right.
Best,
Ron
birddog
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:27 pm  Reply with quote

Jig,
You only live once, so do it up right, buy what you want and enjoy.
Good Luck, Charlie Wink
onefunzr2
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 12:11 pm  Reply with quote

What are Moderators?
Moderators are individuals (or groups of individuals) whose job it is to look after the running of the forums from day to day. They have the power to edit or delete posts and lock, unlock, move, delete and split topics in the forum they moderate. Generally moderators are there to prevent people going off-topic or posting abusive or offensive material.

28ga talk is offensive to me. Perhaps you should take your question to the 28ga Society chat room?
Ted Schefelbein
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 3:11 pm  Reply with quote

Folks post 28 gauge questions HERE because the participants are knowledgable in more than one area. Far more.

The scope of the board is limited, but the knowledge of it's members certainly isn't. Hence, the occasional straying from the main, but, not only, I hope, topic.

Life isn't a single gauge proposition.

Take the knowledge you are offended by, and, instead, learn from it. And don't be so easily offended. There is too much of that in the world today.
Best,
Ted
onefunzr2
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 3:40 pm  Reply with quote

Ted Schefelbein wrote:
Folks post 28 gauge questions HERE because the participants are knowledgable in more than one area. Far more.

The scope of the board is limited, but the knowledge of it's members certainly isn't. Hence, the occasional straying from the main, but, not only, I hope, topic.

Life isn't a single gauge proposition.

Take the knowledge you are offended by, and, instead, learn from it. And don't be so easily offended. There is too much of that in the world today.
Best,
Ted

Does this reply reflect your official capacity as a moderator to this forum?
hunshatt
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 3:49 pm  Reply with quote

somebody got up on the wrong side of th bed??? Wink Wink
Guess Doug should deleat sprockets preserve thread. Oh wait we did all shoot 16's ,so I guess it's ok. But he did mention dogs, at least it was only me mentioning Spinoni's , which I find offensive, so I'll go back and deleat my post on his thread
Captain_Billy
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 3:57 pm  Reply with quote

Ted----Both nice pieces. I kinda lean to the Browning with the 30" tubes. I like a bit heavier gun than most--at least 6 1/2 is my favorite---just me. That SxS is awful nice too! Tough question. You gotta buy one / the other cause if you don't and go tubing some gun you got hangin around everytime you look at it you prolly get indigestion and develope a case of "28 ga. offended-i-itis". Heaven forbid ! Hell buy em both..
hunshatt
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 4:02 pm  Reply with quote

Capt Billy got the correct answer to your problem
TJC
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 5:01 pm  Reply with quote

How about the Citori Feather in 28ga. Not sure if it's avail without the 20ga combo though.
I had the 20ga. Feather and it was a great gun. I still have the 16ga. Feather and probably won't ever get rid of it. It's become my trap gun. Very Happy

Just another thought. Wink

Prussian Gun Guy
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 5:08 pm  Reply with quote

Jig,

Admitting you have a problem was only the first step. Now, you have to begin the long road to recovery from your addiction. I've been a recovering gun addict for more years than I care to remember. You will have to accept the occasional setback. For example: I recently decided to join P.E.T.A. along my road to recovery. But I accidentally joined the" People for the Eating of Tasty Animals" instead.

Thinking about tubes could be percieved as hiding a new gun purchase inside an existing gun. After all, you will need new ammo. Do you see where I'm going with this? Because I don't have a clue.

Stop letting your addiction control you!! Buy another gun.

"There aint nothin' better than huntin' with a Setter"
jig
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 6:47 pm  Reply with quote

Okay then...i'll swithch to this topic:
"what do you think of this 16GA gun?
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/content/community/gun_inventory/inventory/lehi/american_sg/606724_pt16_leh.jsp?hierarchyId=11657

Seems reasonable. Though I have a 16GA SXS this could be the start of my collection. Still have money left over for tubes.
hunshatt
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 8:15 pm  Reply with quote

trogans have always been profilactics so stop it..........................
sushi and saki is whereits at and 16a sufff
britgun
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 8:41 pm  Reply with quote

Now you're barkin' up the right tree.....get the 16 bore Trojan (or Elsie, or Nitro Spcl, or Fox Sterly, or French or Belgian guild gun, etc etc) and if you must have a 28, use the residuals to throw those tubes in that 6 pounder 12 bore.....and you'll have your 28!

Seriously, do what's right for YOU! I'm just a 16 gauge FREAK and couldn't fathom spending even a dime on a shotgun of any other gauge....

Good luck, and above all else, have fun with the whole thing...

britgun