16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Here comes trouble.
Prussian Gun Guy
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 4:01 pm  Reply with quote

I already know. I am about to light the spark on this debate.

So, what's better... "side by each" or those "stack barrel" doubles??????

I already realize that the good lord gave us two eyes side by side ,just like our shotguns, but some of you misguided (only kidding) folk may feel different.

I've got a 50" chest and 36" waist so I guess I have broad enough shoulders to accept your compliments, or criticisms. Just keep it light hearted guys. At the end of the day, it's all in fun. (But I'm still right).

"There aint nothin' better than huntin' with a Setter"
Dave Miles
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 4:49 pm  Reply with quote

All I'm going to say on this subject is, if it wasn't for my son. I'd sell every O/U that I own. He shoots them, I have no use for them.
Respectfully, Dave Miles aka: The Parker Putz. Wink

britgun
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 4:55 pm  Reply with quote

well, we're cut from the same side by side cloth, except for the fact that you must hit the gym pretty hard with that enormo chest and tiny waist.....

Highcountry
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 5:02 pm  Reply with quote

PPG - I have shot them both for a number of years. Generally, I have discovered that it is easier to find a SxS that fits me than an O/U. I am carrying SxS guns in the field and shoot them better on live birds, and have a couple of O/Us for clays. My latest O/U is a Marocchi which is a great clays gun but the stock is way too straight - - 1.2" DAC/2" DAH. Plan on having some stock work done on it this spring. My Rem Model 32 has dimensions that fit me and I shoot it well, but it is too heavy to haul around in the field these days.

So to answer your question - - I choose all of the above. Very Happy

Hc

Prussian Gun Guy
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 5:04 pm  Reply with quote

Highcountry, you have a future in politics.

"There aint nothin' better than huntin' with a Setter"
hoashooter
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 5:24 pm  Reply with quote

I have always favored the o/u---just never could shoot a double well Rolling Eyes
CitoriFeather16
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 5:39 pm  Reply with quote

Got my first SxS about a year ago. Now I'm in the process of getting rid of all my O/U's! Well, I might hold on to my Citori Feather 16. I can shoot steel with it in a pinch.

Matt
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 6:05 pm  Reply with quote

For bird hunting, I shoot all four types of shotguns equally well under most conditions. As long as the gunstock has a modern, post WWII field gun configuration, I will hit at least 85% percent of the birds or better under average conditions--usually better. Any bird that gets up inside of 15 to 20 yards in fairly open cover is in very serious trouble.

This is not a brag. It is a fact. Why? Because I spent the time, energy, and money to really learn how. It took me years, not weeks or monthes, and I was reasonably gifted at it to begin with, because I was also a very decent instinctive archer before I ever picked up a shotgun. However, I did not really get going well for at least half a decade until I was coached by a very kind and accomplished shot with a gift for teaching.

Wingshooting is not an exact science like rifle shooting from a rest at standing game. It is an art done by hand/eye coodination and feel at a somewhat unpredictable, moving mark. You must learn the proper way to do it and then practice on a skeet field low gun style until you can break at least 80% of the targets under any conditions short of a wind storm. If you learn to shoot well enough with one type of gun, you can shoot well with another. It is never the gun but the skill. Its not the arrow; its a the indian.

Frankly, anyone with an average build and normal proportions who claims they do far better with one type of gun over another is kidding themselves about the matter. Hitting one out of 3 or 4 birds with a certain type of gun vs. one out of 6 or 8 with another is not considered good shooting anywhere except in one's own mind. If you can't score 75% or more on any type of bird under any reasonable condition, then you just are not qualified to really say one type of shotgun is better than another.

You might have certain preferences. Most folks do including me. We are free to do so, because that is how we do things here in this country. However, when it comes to actual shooting you are not kidding me or anyone else in the know about this matter of one type of gun being better over another.

If you can't shoot well, then make the commitment to learn how. Get thee to a coach. He will help you learn to shoot well and can fit you to a gun that will work for you. Then practice at least 3 times a month and shoot at least 50 to 100 targets per session for a couple of years. That is the bare minimum my friend. Usually, it takes that long to begin to understand the what and the how of it. However, once it clicks in, you could hit them with a straight piece of conduit pipe tied to a board if the board fitted you close enough to let you lookstraight down the pipe with your eyes on the mark. Spending time and money looking for the magic gun is monet and time wasted. you can't just buy your way to success. It takes work-period.

Once you learn to really hit well, gun type is of little importance as long as its a reliable, straight shooting gun that fits you close enough to shoot where you look. Don't kid yourself, because you can't kid someone whose been there. He knows better.
MGF
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 6:30 pm  Reply with quote

The first "good" doublegun that fit me and I could afford was an O/U, so I gravitated toward guns with similar fit and handling characteristics. At least four of the five O/Us in my safe probably will be with me forever. They've been great field guns and plenty of fun on low-gun skeet. Hell, I'll probably hold onto the fifth as well ... a Beretta 687 SP II 12 ga. Sporting with 30" barrels and wood that I still can't believe I got on a Grade I. Picked that gun over an identical Grade II sitting right next to it. Nicer walnut. I picked it up years ago and I'd never be able replace it for the same price. Plus, it's durable as all get-out and makes a pretty good gun for recreational trap and clays.

All that said, the next time I have gun money, it will probably be spent on a decent quality SxS, probably an Uggie from AOC or a Beretta SilverHawk. Or maybe I'll keep saving for one of the "laser-beam pheasant killing machine" Merkels I keep reading about. I tend not to save very well, though, when the doublegun lust rises.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 6:40 pm  Reply with quote

MGF, How long have you been shooting? How well do you shoot on average at low gun skeet? on birds?
Grousen
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 9:37 pm  Reply with quote

I understand why divorces are so expensive. It's because THEY ARE WORTH EVERY PENNEY.

I don't think the same could be said about side by sides. Do you side by side fellows still wear jacket, tie, and knickers? And please don't tell me you prefer sailboating over power boating! (he, he, this will start some flames)

I have never shot better on upland birds as I have since I got a Browning Lightning Feather 16 ga. w/28" barrels. I gotta go with what works for me.

Hey, wait a minute. Let me tell you about my almost 50" waist....
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 9:54 pm  Reply with quote

And I'm betting you were no slouch with whatever you were shooting prior to the Citori.

True, a favorite gun will add a bird or two to the tally in the long run. we tend to shoot better with a gun that fits us well and that we have confidence in. Hell, we shoot a bit better if we are wearing a favorite hat or our lucky hunting vest, but it is not by a huge margin if we know how to shoot well to begin with. Shooting with confidence can only help.

Do I like shooting an SxS? you'd better believe it. I also love shooting my Ithaca pump. I just love to shoot. So I shoot a lot. And that is why I can hit the mark most of the time-- I shoot a lot, with any gun I happen to have at hand from .410 to 12 ga. and with a lowly pump right up to a Prazzi trap gun.

Its all good. Shoot what you like, but learn to shoot it well and really enjoy yourself. That is what is most important ain't it?
MGF
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:23 pm  Reply with quote

16gaugeguy wrote:
MGF, How long have you been shooting? How well do you shoot on average at low gun skeet? on birds?

I hunted and shot as a kid, but got away from it when I went to college. Didn't get back into it until I was about 30 (nearly 13 years ago), when my two brothers, by pure coincidence, both got good bird dogs and had them professionally trained. One hunt with those dogs pretty much changed my life.

Re low-gun skeet, I can pretty often step out of the truck and shoot a 24, but I have a hard time staying there. If I shoot four rounds, my score generally bounces around from 21 to 24. I think I start enjoying the coffee and company too much and just get too casual and don't concentrate well enough on the bird. I think I've got the "move, mount, shoot" pretty well grooved. But once in a while, I'll ride a bird or lift my head. I don't worry about it too much. I'm just there for bird practice and fun. I've quit taking a 12. More often than not, I take my 16 or my 28.

If I shoot trap from the 16-yard line, gun mounted, I take the hefty SP II. I can usually score between a 22 and 25. My best four-round score has been a 98. Don't shoot much trap anymore. No clubs near me that fill squads regularly on my days off.

Re birds, I had a good first day this year ... 3 birds on 4 shells with no misses. Then slumped for about 3 outings; was taking me almost 3 shells to put a rooster in the bag. I felt horrible. Was the worst slump I've had in years. And I couldn't explain it. I'd been shooting pretty well all summer. It ended for no clearer reason than it started. I've taken my last 15 birds on 20 shells. So, other than that slump, I'd say it's been a pretty decent year.
Grousen
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:19 am  Reply with quote

16gaugeguy wrote:
Do I like shooting an SxS? you'd better believe it. I also love shooting my Ithaca pump. I just love to shoot. So I shoot a lot. And that is why I can hit the mark most of the time-- I shoot a lot, with any gun I happen to have at hand from .410 to 12 ga. and with a lowly pump right up to a Prazzi trap gun.

16gaugeguy, you are a kindred spirit, excluding of course the SxS, LOL. And speaking of Ithaca pumps, boy those 1950's and earlier 37's in 16 gauge sure are great swinging and pointing guns. I've got two 37R's (solid rib) in 16 gauge, one made in 1950 and the other in 1952 that I'll never sell. And skeet guns? You're darn tooting you've got to have from .410 to 12 gauge.

You know, now that I think about it, a 28 gauge or .410 bore SxS sure would be the ticket for some of these vintage skeet shoots. Hmmm.
britgun
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:30 am  Reply with quote

Grousen wrote:
I understand why divorces are so expensive. It's because THEY ARE WORTH EVERY PENNEY.

I don't think the same could be said about side by sides. Do you side by side fellows still wear jacket, tie, and knickers? And please don't tell me you prefer sailboating over power boating! (he, he, this will start some flames)

I have never shot better on upland birds as I have since I got a Browning Lightning Feather 16 ga. w/28" barrels. I gotta go with what works for me.

Hey, wait a minute. Let me tell you about my almost 50" waist....

Even though you're a little mixed up with your barrel configurations there, Grousen, you're still OK....as to the jacket and tie thing, I found that most offensive, and if I had more time, would really belabor it, but I'm runnin a little late and need to don my seersucker jacket and get over to the regatta.....

b'gun