16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns Wanted or For Sale  ~  WTS: 16 Gauge Ithaca Model 37
fvallone
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:02 am  Reply with quote

I have an Ithaca Model 37 in 16 gauge that I would like to sell. Serial number is 834315, made in early 1963 according to Ithaca’s records.

S/N on the receiver and the barrel match, modified choke on a 28” plain barrel. Wood on both the buttstock and the ringtail-style forearm has an outstanding "quilted" walnut figure. Traditional Ithaca sunburst recoil pad, insert-style grip cap, and the pewter gun& feather insert. Bluing is in very good shape (may have been refinished at one time), screws have not been messed up, and the bore is mirror-clean.

Not sure how to post pictures here, but I can email them if you’re interested. I would like to get $425 for the gun, and I’m willing to accept offers.

Thanks!

Frank
kgb
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:05 pm  Reply with quote

Pictures posted here to help out...

TJC
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:59 pm  Reply with quote

That is a sweet looking Model 37. I don't think it will last long around here. Very Happy

britgun
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:22 am  Reply with quote

fvallone wrote:
I have an Ithaca Model 37 in 16 gauge that I would like to sell. Serial number is 834315, made in early 1963 according to Ithaca’s records.

S/N on the receiver and the barrel match, modified choke on a 28” plain barrel. Wood on both the buttstock and the ringtail-style forearm has an outstanding "quilted" walnut figure. Traditional Ithaca sunburst recoil pad, insert-style grip cap, and the pewter gun& feather insert. Bluing is in very good shape (may have been refinished at one time), screws have not been messed up, and the bore is mirror-clean.

Not sure how to post pictures here, but I can email them if you’re interested. I would like to get $425 for the gun, and I’m willing to accept offers.

Thanks!

Frank

Is that thing original, that wood? Do you still have the gun?

thanks, Duncan

fvallone
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:59 am  Reply with quote

I accepted an offer on the gun yesterday, so sale is pending. Thanks to everyone that inquired.

Frank
TJC
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:06 am  Reply with quote

Didn't think it would last too long.

hunshatt
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:32 am  Reply with quote

From the pic's , someones getting a bargain

bustingclays
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:43 pm  Reply with quote

Guilty Wink

Since I let the cat out of the bag to revdocdrew earlier today (I wanted to let him know I was busy while he was out of the country doing good work Cool ) I will fess up to the group.

Just sealed the envelope to send the check, ffl, and shipping pertinants to Frank. Pleasant gentleman to deal with and I look forward to receiving the M-37 in the next several weeks.

I spent 7 years in Ithaca working at The Boyce Thompson Institute on the Cornell campus - left there for Illinois in 1999. I have never owned an Ithaca gun and this one was too nice to pass up - that and I promised myself after I left the nice M-37 Embarassed in the KC Cabela's in Jan. 2006 that a deal like this would never pass by again Wink

I'm really pleased for sure - so much so that I got kgb to post pictures for me on Tues. the 30th before the sale Wink Wink (could not resist).

I asked about the nice wood and was told:

I just checked the stock geometry, the DAC is 1.5", DAH is 2.25", and the LOP is 14.125". I purchased some of the leftover inventory of the Ithaca Gun Company when they closed their doors in 2005; and the stock on this gun came from that inventory. The original stock was the unadorned M&P style - no checkering, straight grain, corncob forearm. Someone had painted the original stock with red enamel barn paint and a coarse bristle brush, hence the replacement.

THANKS, Frank!

Dr. 16 Gauge
jig
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:04 pm  Reply with quote

Very interesting looking M37, way different profile than the 3 I have owned.
The after market wood definitely gives it a unique geometry. The M37's I had were much straighter profile and not near as much neck to stock bend.
Please let us know how it shoots and wish you the best with your new toy.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:51 am  Reply with quote

I hope you come to enjoy yours as much as I enjoy mine. They are everything a hunting pump gun should be IMO. By the time John Browning designed this gun, he had been working at his pump gun designs for a good number of years. The folks at Ithaca recognised the excellence of the gun and adapted it to 16 ga and 12 ga as well as the original 20 gauge model.

We are soon to be blessed with another great 16 ga hunting pump gun this fall when Browning delivers the promised 16 ga BPS also built on a 20 ga frame. There is one refinement in the design I appreciate. The BPS bolt locks up into a barrel extention, which essentially makes the barrel and bolt a truely closed system that takes the strain off the barrel/reciever attachment system. This system is about as strong as can be produced, and one that can be traced back to another of John's designs, the 1911 colt 45 ACP. In it, the barrel has a lug that locks up into the top of the slide, which essentially produces the same type of closed system. John's idea was elegantly simple and brilliant. The idea has been adapted to many types of guns since then.

The BPS is an adaption, refinement, and continuation of John Browning's ideas and is directly related to the Model 37. I have owned and used a 12 ga BPS in the past. It was an excellent, smooth, and totally reliable pump gun. I can hardly wait until I get to shoot m 16 ga model. I think John B would be pleased with the gun too.