16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  can you substitute SP 16 wad for Win WAA16.....
britgun
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:58 pm  Reply with quote

....in a one ounce load?

Have plenty of SP's, no WAA's....

b'gun

xtimberman
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:38 am  Reply with quote

http://www.16ga.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2648

http://www.16ga.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2655

So they say......

xtm
britgun
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:57 am  Reply with quote

xtimberman wrote:
http://www.16ga.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2648

http://www.16ga.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2655

So they say......

xtm

Thanks, I'm going to go ahead with reduced charges, target loads with Green Dot...
when the GD is gone, switching to Uniique...
b'gun

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:21 pm  Reply with quote

Brit, the SP-16 and R16 wads are externally identical in every dimension. Put the two side by side and they are exactly the same height. The R16 has a 1/8 inch shallower shot cup, so it holds 1 ounce of shot perfectly. Simply insert a .135" thick 28 ga. nitro card wad into the shot cup of an SP-16 and you will have a perfectly acceptable substitute for an R16 wad. Most newer Lyman shothell manuals suggest this little trick.

You can use either Remington wad instead of a WW16AA wad without any change in powder charge, but not the reverse. The Remington wads generate less pressure by a slight margin.

I use 16 to 16.5 grains of Green Dot under 3/4 or 7/8 ounces of shot in my Remington hulls with An R16 wad and the 28 ga card wads. Each card wad displaces 1/8th ounce of shot almost exactly in any 16 ga shot cup. So for the SP-16 wad, you will ned one more card wad to load the same shot weight in an R16.

All you are doing is manipulating the space available for the shot. This allows you to keep the top of the shot column high enough so the folds of your crimp rest firmly on the shot and do not collapse inward.

However, I would strongly suggest Unique for all 1 ounce loads instead of Green Dot. As the shot load weights go up, we need to go to a slower burning powder. Green Dot is a bit faster burning than Unique.
britgun
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:43 pm  Reply with quote

hey thanks, all I have are the sp-16, so I'll interchange with the WAA16 on this load, after I use up the Green Dot, I agree, it's Unique from here on out.....thank you,

b'gun

Larry Brown
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 4:37 pm  Reply with quote

If you don't have (or want to buy) 28ga card wads, you can also use Puffed Wheat as overshot filler to take up the excess space you'll have with an SP-16 wad. Cheap as heck, and if you don't use it all, you can have it for breakfast! And years ago, it was known as . . . the cereal shot from guns!
britgun
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 4:47 pm  Reply with quote

Larry Brown wrote:
If you don't have (or want to buy) 28ga card wads, you can also use Puffed Wheat as overshot filler to take up the excess space you'll have with an SP-16 wad. Cheap as heck, and if you don't use it all, you can have it for breakfast! And years ago, it was known as . . . the cereal shot from guns!

hey, thanks, I'll try some......

Duncan

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:40 am  Reply with quote

Brit, look at Circle Fly Wads on the net. you can purchase the 28 ga. card wads in bulk very cheaply direct from the manufacturer. the fellow who owns and operates Circle Fly Wads is one of the nicest guys I've ever done business with. His prices for bulk shipments are far, far cheaper than any other source I've used. I bought 10,000 .135" thick, 28 ga nitro cards from him for less than a 1/3rd of what the next biggest supplier would. I ordered them on a Monday and they came about three days later. The wads are perfect for the job. Check them out. Save the puffed wheat for breakfast. Besides, you don't want to get arrested for baiting a field do you? Laughing
britgun
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:58 am  Reply with quote

16gaugeguy wrote:
Brit, look at Circle Fly Wads on the net. you can purchase the 28 ga. card wads in bulk very cheaply direct from the manufacturer. the fellow who owns and operates Circle Fly Wads is one of the nicest guys I've ever done business with. His prices for bulk shipments are far, far cheaper than any other source I've used. I bought 10,000 .135" thick, 28 ga nitro cards from him for less than a 1/3rd of what the next biggest supplier would. I ordered them on a Monday and they came about three days later. The wads are perfect for the job. Check them out. Save the puffed wheat for breakfast. Besides, you don't want to get arrested for baiting a field do you? Laughing

Thanks, 16GG, where did you learn all this stuff? laugh out loud about the baiting, you are funny guy, si?

My load all busted a pivot in so I'm SOL for a bit, ordered a new one from Midway, then I can resume my munitions assembly, I'll get some wads off that guy,

take care....have you ever driven on shoot flying road near w.Hyannisport by any chance??? Always wonderd how it got that name....

Duncan