16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Learn something new everyday - - PSI vs LUP
Highcountry
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:26 pm  Reply with quote

I am looking to work up a load for a "between the wars" English BLE 12ga. It is recommended to keep working pressure less than 10,000 PSI. I have Lyman's 4th edition and checked the Hodgdon's website for recipes. I found the identical recipe (shells, powder, wad, primer) in both sources. I was puzzled by the difference in pressure although the velocities for both sources are almost identical. Lyman shows 10,000 PSI and Hodgdon's website shows 9,200 LUP. I then noticed on the same page of both the Lyman manual and the Hodgdon webpage, they showed loads in either PSI or LUP depending on the loading.

Looking closer at the Lyman manual, it has a section on PSI vs LUP. LUP being Lead Units of Pressure which was an older method of testing pressures versus newer electronic piezo methods. LUP pressure reading for a given load is always lower than the PSI reading for the same load. BUT there is no standardized conversion.

The take-away here is when working up loads for older pressure sensitive guns, pay close attention to the pressure units. I did not want to exceed 10,000 PSI but just using Hodgdon webpage, I would have been on the bleeding edge.

Be careful out there!

Hc

onefunzr2
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 6:51 am  Reply with quote

You are correct; there is no conversion of LUP or CUP to PSI.

Glue on a strain gage, hook it up to your Oehler 43PBL and find the pressure in PSI for your own gun.

Larry Brown
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 3:09 pm  Reply with quote

You won't see pressures listed in LUP any more. That's strictly stuff you find in old reloading manuals. And while there is no direct conversion, you can "ballpark" it with this very simple formula: PSI-1,000=LUP. (Or, if you prefer to go the other way, LUP+1,000=psi.) You'll find, if you pressure test enough reloads, that they will vary a few hundred psi. (So will factory loads, for that matter.) So apply the above ballpark formula, build in a bit more "margin for error", and you'll be OK.
hoashooter
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 4:01 pm  Reply with quote

LUP and Dram equivalant need to be dropped from our vocabulary
xtimberman
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 4:53 pm  Reply with quote

Amen, hoashooter!

I'll bet at least 75% of the folks who buy shotshells couldn't tell you what dram equivalency really is!

And LUP......just a buncha numbers that ballistic engineers spout off for relative comparison to each other, and otherwise can't be reliably converted to a widely-recognized standard measurement.

xtm
Highcountry
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 5:25 pm  Reply with quote

Larry Brown wrote:
You won't see pressures listed in LUP any more. That's strictly stuff you find in old reloading manuals.

What concerned me here was both the Hodgdon webpage and my Lyman manual (4th edition) mixed PSI and LUP on the same page. I cannot post the link to show an example on the Hodgdon website because the webpage uses a filter, but you can run your own filter and see what I am talking about.

Unfortunately, these sources are some of the latest and greatest available. Shocked I see where Lyman is releasing the 5th edition this month and it will be interesting to see if they continue to mix LUP and PSI in their loadings. Also whether they have updated their obsolete 16ga loadings.

Larry Brown
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:03 am  Reply with quote

I stand corrected, HC. I've got the latest Hodgdon manual, and they do list some pressures in LUP. Shame on them! My Alliant manual is a couple years older, and all their listings are in psi.

Actually, the history behind "LUP" is kind of interesting. LUP is nothing more than psi as measured by the lead crusher method, which was standard prior to WWII--not quite sure when the piezo-electric measurement system took over. Anyhow, when the conversion was made to the modern system, it was discovered that what had always been listed as "psi" were, in fact, incorrect readings. (If you go back to the 20's and 30's, you'll find pressures listed as psi, but they were using the lead crusher system back then.) So to differentiate, the powder companies started using "LUP" to designate those old readings. Not sure why they would be continued today, because I don't think the lead crusher measurement system has been used in this country for quite some time.
onefunzr2
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:32 pm  Reply with quote

I emailed Hodgdon last week, asking when they intend to update their out-of-date 16ga load data. No reply to date.
jrothWA
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:46 pm  Reply with quote

The LUP is an avaerage reading of force. You are measuring the deformation of an pre-measured lead cylinder, knowning the after firing results you can calculate the average force to cause the deformation, then dived that force by the original surface area to get the force per area (LUP)
CUP are the same just using a known cylinder of copper.
Today's measurements of pressure should be ID as: PSIA, the "A" being for absolute. The reading is taken against time giving the pressure-time curve .
birddog
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 1:27 pm  Reply with quote

Howdy Guys,
When dealing with the powder companies its best to call, ask for the ballistician and direct question to them. I've talked with Hodgdon's several times and they have been very helpful and given me recipes for the 16 that are not on the web page or in the manual. Go Figure Wink
Have a good day Smile
Charlie
Big Redhead
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:42 am  Reply with quote

jrothWA wrote:
The LUP is an avaerage reading of force. You are measuring the deformation of an pre-measured lead cylinder, knowning the after firing results you can calculate the average force to cause the deformation, then dived that force by the original surface area to get the force per area (LUP)
CUP are the same just using a known cylinder of copper.
Today's measurements of pressure should be ID as: PSIA, the "A" being for absolute. The reading is taken against time giving the pressure-time curve .

I maintain that LUP and CUP are more akin to measures of work than measures of force. The deformation of a plastic body is a function of both force and time - hence, work. PSI is a measure of force only. The deformation of a lead cylinder is dependant on both the amount of force applied and the amount of time said force is applied. That is one reason there are no universal formuli for converting LUP or CUP to PSI - they are measures of differing units. Also, the force involved in chamber pressure is a curve, and different guns and calibers exhibit different curves. I suppose one can generate some sort of approximate conversion formula based on some sort of "typical" curve or set of curves, but in the end, LUP and CUP measure something different than PSI.

The difference between PSI (or PSIG for "gauge pressure") and PSIA is one atmosphere - hardly a factor when dealing with thousands of pounds per square inch.

No flames intended toward anyone. I'm just an unemployed (temporarily) thinker with a love of all things gun and too much time on my hands at the moment. Smile

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:59 pm  Reply with quote

Alliant is probably the most consciencious of all the companies about modernizing its data. However, none of them update 16 ga stuff very often. Hodgdon has been posting some data exactly as printed for 30 years or more. Its still good data if the powder being called for is canister grade.

Older data can be valuable. I've kept a log of the relative capacity of the various 16 gauge shells I've used over the years. If a newer type shell has the same type construction as the older one, and the internal capacity is determined accurately to be within 1-2 percent, you can use one shell for the other without any problems.

I've posted how to do this already a couple of times. You must accurately cut both shells to a standard height of 2-1/2 inches, make sure each is perfectly round, and fill with water. Weighing the water will give you a comparitve analysis of the volume of each.

Cheddite, New Winchester, Fiocchi cases with the same height base wad, and some others based on a Cheddite type hull all will work for the same moderate loads up to 9500 PSI without problems. Older Federal paper based hulls are the same as the newest Federal and Estate paper based cases. All Reminton plastic wad based polyformed hulls are interchangable. there are others too.

Keeoping a log is the answer. I can use 40 year old data without a problem if I can find a very similar modern shell and the same wad and powder.

One more point. If a shell is both similarly constructed and has a bigger capacity, then any load for a shell with a bit less capacity will be safe. You might have to add a grain or so of powder to get the same ballistics, but it will work.

A shotgun shell is nothing but a gas proof combustion chamber liner or seal. If the seal is made of the same materials and has the same capacity and basic internal shape, then an identical load using the same internal componants will develop the same pressures within a safe range and with only minor differences.