16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Winchester Model 42 .410 ga.
Wolfchief
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:08 pm  Reply with quote

On vacation I came across a really nice one, 26" Mod choke, made in 1954. It is in excellent condition, est. at least 98 honest %, so my heart overruled my head and I bought it. Took it to the local skeet range and fired a box of AA Winchester 1/2 oz. #8's; broke 22 with it. I sure love it; it's a miniature Model 12. Now I'm looking for a real nice 16 to match the 20's and 12 gauges I have.....

rayb
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 4:24 am  Reply with quote

goodluck, the one i found, well used but not abused, appears to be built on a 20 gage frame. A very nice handling gun..

enjoy the hunt

rayb

hoashooter
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 10:20 pm  Reply with quote

These are NICE Laughing Laughing I had one years ago and sold it Embarassed Embarassed .Around here East-Central Il. a good field grade will bring $1000.00 Mine was a skeet model Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
Wolfchief
PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 9:12 pm  Reply with quote

I really love shooting the M-42 but I feel guilty because I don't want to put unnecessary wear on it....but with no recoil, it is truly a shooter's joy....

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 2:53 pm  Reply with quote

Chief, I call my .410 shotguns "teacher". There is no better gauge to learn and ingrain the finer points of wingshooting with than a .410 on the skeet range. I thought I knew what I was doing when wingshooting until I picked up a .410 Charles Daly/Miroku O/U years ago.

That little gun taught me more in two sessions than any other gun I had shot with previously in 10 years. Since recoil is nil with a .410, every mistake you make in mount, swing, execution, and follow through shows up like it was lit up in neon, especially the involuntary flinch at the trigger pull. Fortunately, mine was "target panic" and not from recoil. I learned to release my breath a tad as I slapped the trigger instead of clenching my teeth. That helped cure my problem--that and several hundred rounds of .410, low gun skeet. I found out that missing, although not fun, was not fatal. Once I learned not to be so keyed up, shooting became much more pleasent and ironically it seems, I got better at hitting.

I still like to shoot several .410 rounds a week just to keep up the training. Besides, it is so much more fun to shoot and not be sucker punched by your 12 or even your 16 ga. eargaschplitzenzeeneckengaznapen. A bruised ego is better than a bruised shoulder, and more enlightening too. Thank you little .410 teacher.

I'll bet the first owner made the mistake of not shooting that little 42. So shoot the hell out of it, and don't repeat his error. It was made to be shot and it will wear in--not out. Model 12/42 guns tend to do that. Enjoy!!
Wolfchief
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 6:20 pm  Reply with quote

Thank you, Guy, I probably will. There certainly is not a gun in my cabinet that is more fun to shoot !

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 5:32 am  Reply with quote

Amen to that Chief. That little gun is teaching you already.