16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  7/8 oz Loads
USAFA 71
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:25 pm  Reply with quote

I am now ready to start loading 7/8 oz loads for my "Sissitori" for use on clay targets, but I have run into a problem. Using either the R-16 or SG-16 wads, I know that I need a filler. I have read several posts on using card filler wads, but here is where the confusion comes in. Question

Do I use the "Nitro Card Wads"(.125-.135" thick), the 1/8" thick Felt cushion wads, or the 1/4" thick Fiber Filler wads for inside the shot cup? Or does it matter which one I use? The Fiber Filler Wads and the Nitro Card Wads are available in 28 ga, to fit inside the 16 ga R-16/SG-16 wads, while the Felt Cushion Wad is only available in 12/20 ga which is too big for the R-16/SG-16 wad.

I want to try using the SG-16 wad with filler in the Fiocchi hull until I get enough of the Remington Black hulls to reload, using the R-16 for 1 oz loads and the SG-20L wad for 7/8 oz loads.

I would be greatful for any assistance anyone can give. I don't want to use 1 oz loads for clays, at least until the price of shot comes down. Embarassed
Dave Miles
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:31 pm  Reply with quote

Not to confuse the issue, but since your shooting a break open gun. I would trim the hulls, so you don't need to add filler. Wink

USAFA 71
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:51 pm  Reply with quote

Dave - I hadn't considered that option,but except for having to readjust the reloader when going from 7/8 oz loads to 1 oz loads I guess it would work. But it might be easier to use a filler and not have to adjust the press all the time. But thanks for the information. I will consider it.
USAFA 71
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:54 pm  Reply with quote

I apologize for the above post - the "Which Filler wad" post just below this answers my question quite well. Sorry for the unnecessary posting.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:34 pm  Reply with quote

I've found the .135" thick nitro cards are the cheapest and easiest way to go. One of them displaces an 1/8 ounce of shot perfectly in an R16 wad. Circle Fly wads will sell you a bulk pack of 5 or 10K of them for a very low price including shipping.

5k might sound like a lot but they go quickly if you shoot a lot of skeet. I use 2 for my 3/4 ounce skeet loads in the R16. These little puppies shoot fantastically out of any 16 I own and just crush skeet birds, quail, dove, and woodcock like they were poleaxed.

Anyway, Circle Fly is on the web and the fellow who owns and operates it is one of he nicest people you could do business with.his prices are far cheaper than anyone else too.
Jeff Mulliken
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:52 pm  Reply with quote

Puffed wheat works great. and it makes every day at the range feel like new years eve.

Jeff
kgb
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 3:03 pm  Reply with quote

I shot some of my puffed-wheat Universal Clays 7/8oz loads last evening, and shooting under the lights the shredded puffs make a nice little display. It was cold here in Omaha, but the shells worked just fine even though only 16.5gr. I've gone to Circle Fly 28ga fillers in R-16 cups, all other elements equal to the puffed wheat versions. Just need to shoot up the last of the wheats.

Using the reloading calculator from Trapshooters.com I found that shot at 28.00 per bag increased the cost of reloads by .50 per box over shot at 20.00 per bag when using 7/8oz loads.

kgb
Wolfchief
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 3:55 pm  Reply with quote

Puffed wheat is an easy way to go; it's cheap/works great. Just add a couple of puffs to the shot load. The puffed wheat I buy in bulk at Aldi's Discount Food store for $.78/bag....I call the result my "Cereal Killer" because it breaks the clays so dead.....

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 3:16 pm  Reply with quote

Well, for you guys who like puffed wheat as filler--how do you keep the mice out of your ammo locker? Laughing how about Cheetos? Laughing I'm sorry,its Friday and I sometimes get this way from being happy about weekends. Very Happy
DDawg
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 5:45 pm  Reply with quote

Hey 16gaugeguy, Shocked Silly boy cheetos are for eating not shooting. Very Happy Very Happy But, I have to wonder if you used the fiery hot cheetos as a filler in the 16 ga wads would the velocity be increased????
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 6:07 pm  Reply with quote

I dunno about that but the mice will probably need some hemerriod medication if they get into the ammo locker and eat any. Rolling Eyes
citori16guy
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:24 pm  Reply with quote

shot a lot of 7/8 loads out of the blue fiocchi 67mm hulls . ballistic products doesn't have any more of them. now i use the red winchester super x australian hulls , trim them to 67 mm, 15.9 grains of clays, bpi sg16 wad, 7/8 oz hard 8 1/2 shot , with a over shot card. this is the fastest cleanest load i know, shoot over 1000 a year.. dont waste your time with the black remington hulls, dont know why everybody is chasing their tail with that hull and sp-16 wad... in my opinion their just crap...

mkrporte
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:53 am  Reply with quote

The cereal filler worked well for me when loading my 20 ga. However, I used Kix cereal. Just drop one round Kix in the wad and drop the shot. Filled the case nicely. And...if you get hungry while you're loading, just pop a few Kix in your mouth. I'll have to give coco puffs a try, they taste better. Rolling Eyes
Nantan2

jig
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:25 am  Reply with quote

I loaded up some 7/8oz shells for my 12 GA last week for the first time ever. Wow! they performed great on 5 stand with definitely less recoil on my 8LB GTS. I used both STS and WinAAHS hulls with WAA20L wads. The Win wads are nice because they don't need any fillers. I used Clays powder and magnum #7 1/2 shot. There was no 7/8 shot bar for my Lee Loadall so I had to load and dump. But it was very easy to eyeball becasue the shotcup full was exactly tyhe right amount of shot. I weighed each round for overall weight too cux I'm anal that way - all perfect. Can't wait to get an MEC JR though. The Loadall is wearing out its welcome, though it just gets by.
Wolfchief
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:48 pm  Reply with quote

Just this week I tried Sugar Smacks---they displace more space and taste good too! It does in fact make for a nice little cereal shower when the load is discharged---my squadmates get quite a charge out of it...I was pleasantly surprised this provides entertainment value...what do you know; a "two-fer"!