16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Winchester Model 12 receiver size
weedwader
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:00 am  Reply with quote

I know this will be a simplistic question to most of you, but what receiver/frame size was the 16 gauge Model 12 Winchester built on? Did it have it's own size receiver or was it built on a 12 or 20 receiver? I've tried researching this issue and have had no luck.
Dave Miles
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:30 am  Reply with quote

I was told the 16 gauge is on the 20 gauge receiver. But a 16 gauge barrel will not fit a gun originally fitted for the 20 gauge. I have a 20 gauge that I need a barrel for. Was told it would be more trouble than it's worth to try and fit a 16 gauge barrel to it. Confused

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:05 pm  Reply with quote

I heard the same thing about the 16 being built on a 20 frame. To be more precise, I think it was built on a modifed 20 gauge frame. The earlier Ithaca 37 pumps were supposedly built on individual frame sizes.

However I have a post-# 855,000 16 ga. I measured it against a post 855,000 20 gauge gun. the frames are identical in exterior dimensions. This means at some date, Ithaca dropped one of the frame sizes and built the later 20 and 16 ga guns on the same frame for a while. I'm betting they dropped the original 20 frame in favor of the beefier 16 for liability reasons which were rapidly becoming part of the post-1962 gun manufacturing scene.

Browning builds the 16 ga Citori on a modified 20 ga. frame. They are about to build the 16 Ga. BPS on a modified 20 ga frame too. So does Merkel. Modern 20 ga frames tend to be overbuilt for the same liability reasons. So they can be used to make good 16 ga. frame sizes too. That, Gentlemen, is a good thing, a very good thing. Very Happy
Twice Barrel
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:30 pm  Reply with quote

Model 12 Winchesters were built on three frame sizes, Magnum for the 12 gauge 3", Standard 12 gauge and medium frame for 16, 20 and 28 gauge which all share a common frame size.
Wolfchief
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:54 pm  Reply with quote

...and a trimmer, more durable and pointable 16 ga. pump than a Winchester Model 12 was never made...

Ted Schefelbein
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 4:20 am  Reply with quote

But, the fact remains, it is the ONLY American pump shotgun with a published attrition rate in the Bluebook, and that rate is a whopping 33%.

So, a few of them broke, it would seem...
Best,
Ted
Foursquare
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 9:50 am  Reply with quote

Twice Barrel wrote:
Model 12 Winchesters were built on three frame sizes, Magnum for the 12 gauge 3", Standard 12 gauge and medium frame for 16, 20 and 28 gauge which all share a common frame size.

TB has it right on the money. In fact, until the recent renaissance in 16ga popularity, it was not uncommon for people to scoop up undervalued 16 M12s and convert them to the much rarer 28ga.
A sweet gun either way.

Pete

" .......you have learned patience and stubbornness and concentration on what you really want at the expense of what is there to shoot. You have learned that man can as easily be debased as ennobled by a sport....."
kgb
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 10:27 am  Reply with quote

Ted, is that the true significance of the M12 being the only Bluebook selection for attrition? Not even a few M31's, M10's, M17's, M37's, Mossbergs, Savages, Marlins, etc. ever broke? It couldn't be that more folks are paying enough interest in (and cash on) the M12 and collectors might find the information offered in Bluebook of use. Maybe the author just thought it might be worth guesstimating a number for one gun and not any other.

Did you wish it to appear the author was pointing out that the M12 is an inferior gun and trying to imply that it breaks down so much in order that people should avoid it and buy/collect/shoot any of the other, better offerings out there? Guess that point could be read into that most useful of facts which you've shared here.

I've scavenged parts from a M12 that functioned just fine but was stripped with a wire wheel and had a severely deteriorated remaining finish. If only those bozos at Winchester had made a finish to last more than 60 years in any envioronment, to include saltwater, this might not have happened to that lump of metal and its well-meaning previous owner(s) would not have performed that particular brand of home gunsmithing.

Had it been a bolt action 12ga of any American brand, I'd have sent it off for complete restoration and upgrade. But, it was only another M12. There. I'm coming 'round! Much better.

You're welcome.

kgb
weedwader
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 11:32 am  Reply with quote

Thanks for the help guys!
Ted Schefelbein
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 12:06 pm  Reply with quote

The only true significance was I got to throw a firecracker under Wolfchief's pet goat. Don't kill the messenger!
Best,
Ted
Wolfchief
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 3:02 pm  Reply with quote

Look in the bluebook or any book for the relative values of an original 98% condition Model 12 and then compare that number to a Model 37 in the same condition; that will tell you all you need to know. The only "goat" is the one who can't own up to what the market has said for decades....

kgb
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 9:10 pm  Reply with quote

That's animule abuse!

And here I thought it was a generic lure cast into the pond for anyone to strike. Didn't know it had an intended target....

kgb

Slidehammer
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 8:05 am  Reply with quote

Ted Schefelbein wrote:
But, the fact remains, it is the ONLY American pump shotgun with a published attrition rate in the Bluebook, and that rate is a whopping 33%.

So, a few of them broke, it would seem...
Best,
Ted

True....... the "queen" is not without faults....

At least 95% of "her" fans look only at her looks and smooth operation..

As one who has used pumps for over half a century, repaired them for close to four decades, major repairs at times on Winchesters like re-barrels, etc.
I am also one of those other 5% that looks at design, durability, longivity, and other mechanical things first...

Model 12's are one of the worst pumps for shooting loose.... Shooting loose in the definition of developing excessive headspace.

Even worse, modern plastic shells tend to slip back masking or hiding visual evidence of the event going on!

Lots of Model 12's will "eat" a "No-Go" headspace gauge like a factory shell while their owners go merrily along happy as a lark.....

I shot with a good friend who's Model 12 was always thrown in my face as so much better than any pump I may have been using at the time.... And it sported over .090" headspace!

So "broke" may not be the best word Ted..... "Wear out" could be better.

The good news is I have seen less bolt receeding in the smaller gauges (small frame).

While a subject upsetting for sure, I would recommend checking headspace before getting mad... What does it matter if the effects on modern ammunition are usually unseen? Know that excessive headspace is exponential. In laymen terms: The looser it gets, the faster it gets looser yet!

Slidehammer
Wolfchief
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:35 am  Reply with quote

It's too bad that you, the other 5%, the "cognoscenti" were not enough to keep Ithaca solvent if its pump gun was so superior....the very fact that the Model 12 has been around since 1912, hasn't been sold new since the 1980's, and has been worked over, used and abused by some outrageous bozos and clods means it is bound to engender some repairs...but, I say again, the used gun market for Model 12's continues to appreciate, and, never mind who likes it or doesn't, this will remain so in future decades.

Twice Barrel
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 12:24 pm  Reply with quote

Like it or not the Model 12 is the gold standard by which all other repeating shotguns are measured.