16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns Wanted or For Sale  ~  Now I've seen it all!
txshootist
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:03 pm  Reply with quote

Take a look at Bass Pro Shops Fine Gun Room. Search Lefever. They have around 1/2 dozen Nitro Specials. Not a one is priced under 3K (that's $3000.00). Am I missing something?

Marc
hoashooter
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:40 pm  Reply with quote

If they renamed the room the prices could be raised higher Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Only the very top end models in great shape are worth the big bucks Wink At least Greedy Mountain knocks 50 bucks off their used guns once in a while Embarassed Wink Wink
Tijeras_Slim
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 4:52 pm  Reply with quote

Crimminey! I picked up a 20 ga. Nitro this week in 90% in trade for a cut down A-5 with a Cutts and pellet holes in the stock and forend... and came out $50 bucks ahead on the deal!
Highcountry
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 5:09 pm  Reply with quote

I have been to their Fine Gun Room here in Denver and everything that I saw there was overpriced for even pristine guns. And in many cases, the guns were in about 85%. Go figure. Shocked

Captain_Billy
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 4:56 am  Reply with quote

I have never been to impressed with Bass Pro here north of us in Auburn, NY. Lots of overpriced outdoor clothes that are crap. Dick's just north of Ithaca is the worse I have ever seen for service but occasionally has some ammo for a good price. That is if you don't have to ask for any assistance.
Jeff Mulliken
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 7:06 am  Reply with quote

Serious gun guys know better and don't buy from those guys.

BUT they do serve a market for guys that don't know better or have the money but not the time needed to hunt down a better deal.

My only problem with their strategy is that they create the impression that the market price for some of these guns is higher than it really is, which can fuel an upward spiral.

Jeff
britgun
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 7:36 am  Reply with quote

last spring I was in Ft Worth, had a little time to kill before flight out, and drove the rental up to bass pro, I too was shocked by the inflated prices on everything they had (referring to the "fine gun room"), I don't remember even a really fair price, it was all steep. I bought my Nitro (1929, thanks for dating it for me, revdoc), for 325 bucks off the used gun rack at our local sporting goods store.... that's a tad over 10% of the alleged price offered at bass pro.... they MUST know what they are doing...... blue books aren't scarce.... I agree, I hope it doesn't further inflate prices before we can all load up on what we are needing.... Very Happy

Duncan

Ron Overberg
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 10:01 am  Reply with quote

You are so right when it comes to their pricing. I have been watching to see if some day they will really want to sell one of their Beretta's. Their pricing on older SxS models is far from the blue book or auction sight sales. They have been selling an old 12g box lock for over $2000. dollars where most are sold for half of that. Then a 20g from 1960 at almost $3000. dollars. Once again about twice the going selling prices. I look but I sure don't take them seriously and sure don't buy from them.
Best,
Ron
JonP
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 10:55 am  Reply with quote

So do you think Cabelas is any better?? Have been to several, and I don't see any difference-most of its overpriced. I think in some cases folks will be from a store out of fear of buying privately.
britgun
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:20 am  Reply with quote

JonP wrote:
So do you think Cabelas is any better?? Have been to several, and I don't see any difference-most of its overpriced. I think in some cases folks will be from a store out of fear of buying privately.

....good point, and some of that fear is quite valid (watch out boys, there's snakes in the grass out there).... the best bet is a dealer with low overhead, who buys right, isn't greedy, and passes the savings on to you and me.... I always tried to be that way.....and have found a couple who APPEAR that way, and will know about one of 'em this week when my 1921 EJECTOR Elsie 16ga field arrives that I payed only $1300 for.....it's a little heavy for a dainty bantamweight wand whippin nimrod like me, it goes a tad over 7 pounds, but I plan to transform it into a clays shooting wonder, something with which to replace my 12 bore Model 21, something in the "perfect gauge" that I can shoot with impunity for hours on end with undue recoil wounding due to it's extra tonnage coupled with some of RWG's magic low pressure concoctions...... yee haaa, this is fun.... (just one possible fly in the ointment, like in the unfortunate event that the gun ain't right for some reason....then it's back to the market place, I reckon)....

brit

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 2:58 pm  Reply with quote

Are not, Bass Pro, Cabela's, and D B Dunn's all connected now? I once uploaded D B dunn's gun room and got Cabela's. Like father, like child. The only thing to do is walk in look around, have a laughing spasm, and walk out. Works for me. Wink
TJC
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 3:17 pm  Reply with quote

Well I can tell you one difference I've found between Cabela's and Bass Pro.
At least Cabela's will deal on the price at times. Bass Pro had a gun I was interested in a while back. They wanted top dollar for it. I watched it sit on their site for 6 months. I finally called and asked about it. Mentioned that it had been there for a while, guy said he'd have to check with his manager to see if they could do the price I offered.
Manager got on the phone and said they would not discount the gun. Didn't care how long it was sitting there. Wouldn't take any $$ off it.

Oh well, it sat there quite a while longer. Don't know if they ever sold it.

On the other hand, I've found some real nice classic guns at Cabela's and have been able to deal with The Gun Library people. Very Happy

RalphEGrant
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 3:24 pm  Reply with quote

Ever been to a Scheels? There is one on I-80 near Cedar Rapids, Iowa that I stop into when travelling to my parents in Kansas City. They often have some pretty good finds there for Bluebook or less prices.

All the big sporting mega-marts have some crazy prices on used/vintage guns but they tend to sell them anyway. They obviously make their money on the new gun purchases. Sometimes I think the "Gun Library" is 50% museum and 50% retail store. It ranks up there with the big fish tank!

There is a Dicks Sports near me and I think they have sold themselves short on the type of guns they carry and the target market in our area. Completely bottom of the line in every category it seems. I don't know that they have a single gun over $999.00. The funny thing is that they carry pretty high end golf clubs at $2000.00 Irons and $600 Woods. The management must think that hunters and shooters are a bunch of redneck hayseeds that wouldn't buy a higher end gun. I can't imagine that the margin is any good on a $450 O/U compared to a $2500 one.

Brning Cyn Sprting 12ga O/U,
Auto 5 12ga Belg, 16ga BPS, 20ga Citori, Beretta 3901 Target 12ga, AL391 Teknys Gld
DeHaan SO 16ga S2 12ga SXS's, Chaz Daly 20ga SXS, CZ Ringneck 28ga SXS
Rem 1100 .410 Sprting
JonP
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:20 pm  Reply with quote

What % of hunters are going to spend more than $5-750 for a gun? Very few care about what they're carrying-its more about shooting. One of the worse businesses you coulp possibly get into is selling guns. There are too many and its just a mattr of waiting til someone has to sell. If you're patient, you will always get what you want at your price (within reason). Guns are a buyers market.
Brad6260
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:48 am  Reply with quote

Regrettably I agree with you that the average HUNTER will not spend "big bucks" on their guns.Their looking for a reliable functioning tool...period.

However I think a lot of folks would be surprised by the number and market size of "shooter/collectors" that are out there. When I started collecting vintage SXS's I thought dropping a couple grand on a gun was a big deal.
Yeah right. I was/am floored by the number of people and frequency that are dropping 10,20,30k on SXS's every day.

The real sad thing is that the internet had illiminated almost all reason for the upscale brick and mortar guy to keep a shop open.