16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Win 209 alternative
wingshooter
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 6:40 pm  Reply with quote

The difficulty I have when opening the Arrieta (never on factory loads, only reloads) seems to be from a too deep primer strike (see photo). Is there a primer I can try instead of the Winchester that will not affect the recipe (black hull, 13.5 Alliance promo, 3/4 oz) to see if this is indeed the problem? Reload on left.

Thanks,
Mike

Manufrance Ideal 314:
Barrel set 1- (choke) .000 , .007 , chamber 70mm
Barrel set 2- .025 , .047 , 65mm
Barrel set 3- .005, .015
Manufrance Ideal No. 5:
Choke: .000, .010, 70mm chambers
jim18611865
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:07 am  Reply with quote

I can't really see in the photo, but is there a drag mark from the primer?
Put calipers on the brass head, is it larger than the factory?
Are you resizing the brass?
Twice Barrel
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:19 am  Reply with quote

Cheddite primers match up very well with Winchester.
I have not used them and I don't know if they will solve your problem.
Graf and sons currently has them on sale for 1ess than $11.00 per thousand.
britgun
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:51 am  Reply with quote

.....Win primers are nortoriously soft in my limited experience, and we would always have English gun buyers want to send them back because they would test drive the gun with Win shells (we would always offer a 5 day shooting inspection period....pretty crazy, huh?....unless you really believed in your product Smile ), then we'd have to explain the situation, and then if they shot ANYTHING else in there at all, no matter the shell brand or primer, there was zero problems....only once or twice did we have to actually take a little metal off the pins, or reset them or something, I was never much of a tekkie, I had good smiths around to handle the work, barrel guy in Okla, bluing guy in MO, but most of it was done in UK before gun ever arrived... .....anyhow, the customer was always right except only a couple of times, but even then, we made them happy one way or another the best we could...

.......it was scary being on the other side of this thing, I only ever had 3 guns blow (out of hundreds), and it was always shooter error (one guy "twelve twentied" a gorgeous Boss and lost a couple fingers), another guy blew up the right bore of a gorgeous Horsley nitroproofed twenty bore hammergun (we had just sleeved and reproofed the gun in London, so we know it was right) right ahead of the chamber, there is NO way that could have happened unless there was a barrel obstruction (like probably the wad stuck from an undercharged handload), but I'm just glad he didn't get hurt, and I let him select another gun at no charge anyhow, through gritted teeth, I might add.......another guy did something stupid, never learned exactly what, blamed the gun, which was a Chas. Lancaster gun with some rifling near the muzzles, cool, heavy slug-type gun, but you could use shot as well...a "paradox gun", maybe? Anyhoo, I simply gave him a gorgeous Jeffery boxlock straight across because I felt so bad about it, no questions asked, and later, he actually bragged to the guy that now owns my shop, admitting that it had been his fault (something about using super hot Brenneke's or something that the gun was never designed for), but how he had gotten away with it, etc..... amazing.....there are all kinds out there boys, if we would only be right with each other, how much better the gun world would be....(the whole world, come to think about it).... do good to the other guy, and good will always come back to you, guranteed.......(and vice versa too, I might add)...

sorry, just a few musings from a retired gundealer....

brit

brdhnt
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 12:21 pm  Reply with quote

I can't lay my hands on the manual I got the information from at the moment but in a brisance chart (primer power) the Cheddite 209 and the Winchester were interchangeable in loads. Many don't like the Cheddite because it is slightly larger in diameter and will swage out the primer pocket until you can use nothing but the Cheddites. IF you are keeping your hulls separated and can keep track of which ones you used the Cheddites in, this won't be a problem.

Hope this helps.

TMB
________
Weed vaporizer

Last edited by brdhnt on Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:42 am; edited 1 time in total
hoashooter
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 5:06 pm  Reply with quote

I would buy a box of Chedds and one of Rio load 'em up and see if your problem won't go away
Bronco
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 6:30 pm  Reply with quote

Twice barrel, Win 209's for $11/thousand? Where did you see these on the Graff & Sons website? Thanks, Bob
Twice Barrel
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 6:58 pm  Reply with quote

Bronco Graf & Sons is running a sale on Cheddite 209 primers. Just got a flyer from them the middle of last week. Give them a call, their number is on their web site.
wingshooter
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 7:44 pm  Reply with quote

I called them, hoping to get the primers. They wanted a 20.00 haz mat shipping fee. I said no thanks.

I appreciate all the help. I thought the MEC Grabber re-sized the brass- wrong assumption?

Putting the digital calipers on the re-load reads .749, new unfired black hull reads .743. The ejectors have no problem dispensing the shell once the gun is open, and reloads go rather smoothly into the chambers. I am really leaning toward soft primers being the problem, and will try some cheddites for comparison. I should note however that the Win 209's are just ever so slightly proud of the base- is there an adjustment on the MEC to try to seat them perfectly flush?

Thanks,
Mike

Manufrance Ideal 314:
Barrel set 3- .005, .015
Manufrance Ideal No. 5:
wingshooter
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 8:16 pm  Reply with quote

Upon examination of several reloads under the magnifying glass, the firing pins are definitely being dragged across the indentation. The picture is the best I can do, but you may be able to see the drag mark around 10 o'clock. On a soft primer, are they grabbing the firing pins and not allowing them to retract? They are unquestionably extended when the gun is opened.

Manufrance Ideal 314:
Barrel set 3- .005, .015
Manufrance Ideal No. 5:
britgun
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 9:14 pm  Reply with quote

wingshooter wrote:
Upon examination of several reloads under the magnifying glass, the firing pins are definitely being dragged across the indentation. The picture is the best I can do, but you may be able to see the drag mark around 10 o'clock. On a soft primer, are they grabbing the firing pins and not allowing them to retract? They are unquestionably extended when the gun is opened.

yes, the pins sink in and get stuck and it makes opening your gun difficult...it is the softness of the Win 209 primer, it won't happen with any others that I've ever tried (Feds, CCI, Rems, etc)

jim18611865
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:14 am  Reply with quote

wingshooter wrote:
I should note however that the Win 209's are just ever so slightly proud of the base- is there an adjustment on the MEC to try to seat them perfectly flush?

Thanks,
Mike

Yes page 11 in the manual, but if others have experienced this with W209's then adjusting it may not solve the prob. and may start a new one.
jig
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:40 am  Reply with quote

I never use Win209's, but I do use Ched209 and Fed209A's on all my loads. Never had any problem with either of them like yours, or any other problems. My manual says the win/ched are interchangeable though.
Fed209A's are definitley not as they are the hottest of the primers. Though they can usually be used with recipe adjustments, or finding a published recipe
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:56 am  Reply with quote

I don't believe the newest Wincheaster 209 primers are any different than the newest Cheddite primers. However, this is not true of older WW209 primers from 3 years ago or more. The only way to tell is buy the very newest primers you can and try them. I'm fairly certain Olin now buys all its stuff off shore except some of its ball powders made in Saint Marks, Fl.