16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Shot my Merkel
TJC
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:38 am  Reply with quote

Well it was only on informal clay birds off a trius trap but I had to get it out and shoot it. My brother, nephew and I went out. I put 125 rds through my recently purchased Merkel 1620.

That 1620 is some shooting gun. It fits well, points well, and when I do my part it even shoots very well.

I can't wait to take that gun out this year on pheasants. It may just put an end to the use of the other shotguns in the safe. I could really get used to carrying that gun around and taking birds with it.

Just had to ramble on to someone since I was feeling good about the morning's shoot.

Cahoonje
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 12:43 pm  Reply with quote

Doesn't get any better than a well pointing gun and a good bird dog.
8+8
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 2:07 pm  Reply with quote

I also shot my 1620 for the first time on Tuesday, my gun tips the scale at 5lb 14oz, after shooting 75 rounds of 1-1/8 oz load my shoulder is ready for an overhaul, with that. I still can't wait to walk the woods with it this fall.
Dave Erickson
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 3:09 pm  Reply with quote

I hope you guys get involved with our "16 Gauge Low Pressure Group."

I too shoot a Merkel 1620. I've had mine for about three years. High pressure ammo is no problem for the gun, but for targets they are sure (more) sweet shooting when fed a 7/8 oz load in the 1150-1200 fps range. I shoot mine at skeet and sporting clays, and it really gets you in tune with a light gun like the 1620.

I've shot and still shoot full power 1 1/8 oz loads at pheasants, 1 oz loads for grouse, but all of my target shooting is with 7/8 oz handloads from our data. Can't beat a 16 gauge.

Enjoy your 1620's!
8+8
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 3:59 pm  Reply with quote

Low pressure load sounds good, I can see my self buy in tothat.
I can catch my self flinch at the end of the shoot, with the unbearable heat from the barrels and stabbing pain at my shoulder, it was still the most fun I’ve had at the range in a while.
The last time I had that much fun was shooting my 28ga, only that was slightly more painful Crying or Very sad
I mostly bird hunt, as most people, I don’t notice the recoil during the hunt, but I can see the low pressure 7/8 oz load would be beneficial for the dove season.
TJC
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 5:08 pm  Reply with quote

I don't reload for my shotguns so the low pressure loads while a great idea, probably won't happen for me.
I was using the 1 oz Remington Game loads at I think about 1200 FPS. They were not bad at all considering all I had on was a T shirt.

I am looking forward to putting some of those 1 1/8 oz loads of #4 shot through it on pheasants.

I think me and that gun are going to have a long relationship. Very Happy
In fact, I started looking around on the net at a Merkel .410 in the same configuration. Double triggers, pistol grip stock and case colored. It may just be in the future plans. Wink
But I have to give the 1620 it's own season this year. Then maybe another in a smaller guage.

Wolfchief
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 8:01 pm  Reply with quote

Hello fellas,
The 1620 has killed a lot of roosters and ducks for me. Its ease of carry, pointability and load potency for the weight carried make it an ideal upland bird gun and a firearm more than adequate for short-range ducks.

It sure breaks the skeet birds too but the light 7/8 oz. loads make it more fun.