16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Hull brands and durability
03 Guy
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:27 am  Reply with quote

I have searched the forums here for info on the brand(s) of hulls that are used most or that have the best durabilty for repeated reloads and have come up short. Seems most people are concerned with load data, velocities, and pressures.

I have reloaded Federal and they hold up pretty well, as do the Nobel brand, although I am not completely satisfied with the cosmetics of the crimps they are secure and they shoot as good as any.

I also bought some Cheddite 16mm from BP and although they make a nice looking shell on the first go around, the reloads crack in the crimp seams on about half of them. I tried the hull reconditiioning methods called out in BP's catalog but the results (to me at least) are still unsatisfactory.

Perhaps on these Cheddite I should be using a roll crimp on the reloads?

I would be pleased to hear for any of you on the hulls that you think are best for start crimp reloading. I'm not against the roll crimp but not having done any in 40 plus years and then only with paper hulls, I'd just as soon go the star crimp route unless that won't work with the new hulls that are produced today.

Thanks much for any input.

Robert
Twice Barrel
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 12:49 pm  Reply with quote

Well 03 guy the sad truth of the matter is we are stuck with what we got since Winchester and Active quit making their compression formed hulls. I peronally have had the best results with Remington promotional and SP Express hulls. Depending on lot I have gotten as many as 12 reloads per hull, granted the hulls were pretty ragged toward the end but the all crimped securly.
britgun
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 3:15 pm  Reply with quote

.....same here, Rems and AA-type are what I use until they are gone, have begun working with the Federals, like you, and they seem OK, but haven't had as many reloads to tell about durability yet........I can concur with the above post, however, the Remingtons go and go and go, as do these old AA's....

b'gun

hoashooter
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 4:59 pm  Reply with quote

There is no set number as to how many times a hull can be loaded---so----My vote also goes to the black Remmy's.I can load 3/4 oz's with no filler/spacer and average 10 reloads---The crimp will fail long before the body.I load 'em the final time and shoot in a o/u then toss---well sometimes Embarassed The Feds are not even close and also require fillers when going under a 1 oz load.
Bronco
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 6:34 pm  Reply with quote

Some of my 2.5in Cheddite hulls are going on their 6th round. Bob
03 Guy
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:02 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks for the input. I'll keep experimenting!
rizzini 16
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:13 pm  Reply with quote

I have had the best luck with BP (cheddite) (greenie) hulls. Some do crack around the crimp-just raise the finish crimp sleeve a hair, but I get 6+ reloads out of them, and primers seat nicely. Also good luck with the (purple) Federals, same results. I shoot strictly Sporting Clays:
2 decent loads I use:
BP Hull + Win 209 +SG16wad + 23grns Unique + 1 oz 7.5or 8 shot
9100/1275
Fed Hull + Win 209 +SG16wad + 23.5grns Universal Clays + 1 oz 7.5 or 8 shot 9200/1275
These go in my Rizzini O/U fine but chamber on my Sweet16 is too tight-she only likes factory shells.
Does anyone have any proven reload recipes for the Remington
"Long Range Express" (dark green very high brass) hull?
Thanks-Teach me!

citori16guy
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:08 pm  Reply with quote

for what its worth i've got the best life out of all my current brands im using when i use an overshot card. theory is when fired the crimp is opened from the center versus being pushed open oround its edges. i do know for sure that my hull mouths are VERY straight after firing with a top card. some of my old blue fiocchi 67 mm hulls have been loaded 12 times before giving up.. maybe something to it.

britgun
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:42 pm  Reply with quote

citori16guy wrote:
for what its worth i've got the best life out of all my current brands im using when i use an overshot card. theory is when fired the crimp is opened from the center versus being pushed open oround its edges. i do know for sure that my hull mouths are VERY straight after firing with a top card. some of my old blue fiocchi 67 mm hulls have been loaded 12 times before giving up.. maybe something to it.

that itty bitty thin little paper does nothing to pressures, I would assume....?