16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Interesting observations at the range
jig
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:01 am  Reply with quote

Yesterday my bro and I made a trip to the range to shoot some trap and 5 stand. I wanted to paly with my new GTS and he with his 525.
Inside on the gunrack, and outside on the range we both noticed how Browning dominated the scene. We actually took a count on the racks and there were 18 brownings, 4 Perazzi's, 1 Caesar guerini and 1 Rem 1100.

Outside on 3 rounds of trap, all guns on the first 2 rounds were Browning, with one Perazzi on round 3. Then, at 5 stand, every gun was a browning.
The interesting observation is how Browning dominates our local clays scene.
Also interesting that about 1/3 of the Brownings were Belgium guns.
At least i was the only one there with a Browning GTS Elite. Otherwise, I felt kind of generic toting my Browning around. Guess I should be thankfull though that they make a great product that's affordable/dependable and pretty nice looking too.

Overall, I seemed to see the XS products as most predominant.
There were no Berettas. Anyone see this in other locals?
If so, Browning is doing a heckuva job whatever your opinion of their products. At least for clays games. Think they've become the Honda of shotguns. Dependable, sensible product at a reasoable price. With pretty much all price points covered all the way up to the Belgium Superposed guns which would cover the Honda's Acura division.

At least they are an American company (kind of)
Scolari
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:03 am  Reply with quote

I own two of them for the same reasons you mentioned. They are very reasonably priced and easy to get fixed if needed. The Browning factory repair facility is just a 100 miles away and there is a factory authorized gun smith just 30 miles away. Thankfully, I have had only one spring replaced in all the years I've owned them. By the way, yesterday I shot some skeet at a local club. Four of us shot togeather, three of the guns were Brownings and one Beretta 391.
RalphEGrant
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:29 am  Reply with quote

At my trap club, if I got a dollar for every BT-99 on the racks I could probably buy a BT-99 with the money. I've only seen about 4 or 5 Beretta's since I've been shooting in the leagues there. I bet Browning has 75% of the market there. However, I see a lot more Beretta's when I go to shoot at a dedicated sporting clays ranges but Browning O/U's are still the majority. I seem to be seeing quite a few Beretta Teknys 391's at the sporting clays ranges lately.

I'm probably going to buy my wife a Browning Gold Ladies "Golden Clays" 12ga Semi-Auto for her birthday in May so add one more Browning to the mix.

Brning Cyn Sprting 12ga O/U,
Auto 5 12ga Belg, 16ga BPS, 20ga Citori, Beretta 3901 Target 12ga, AL391 Teknys Gld
DeHaan SO 16ga S2 12ga SXS's, Chaz Daly 20ga SXS, CZ Ringneck 28ga SXS
Rem 1100 .410 Sprting
pudelpointer
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:43 am  Reply with quote

Cocalico sportsman skeet range in PA is a few brownings quite a few Berretas and a liitle of this and that. Most of the regulars shoot Berreta which I think influences new shooters. I am the only one that shoots 16 gauge. I'm also the only one who show's up with fox's,LC's Merkels and Ithica's. I still want to show up with a nice Syracuse Lefever 16 gauge with steel barrels. I like my Citori 16 gauge and shoot it well just doesn't have that SxS feel.
fred lauer
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:44 am  Reply with quote

Just north of Pittsburgh,PA area-- Trap ranges are definatly dominated by various Browning models,next would be Beretta, a few Perazzis,the odd 1100, model 12, 870 and a few SKBs. Don't have acess to skeet,but sporting clays is still pretty informal here(the way it should be).You might see anything on the SC course,but a lot of 870's and 1100's because they are the most common hunting guns here.Last trip out, the couple shooting ahead of us had a nice old pair of Win.21 Grand Amer. in .410 and 20 ga. Nice folks, having as much fun as us hicks with 870's and Sterlingworths.

Rabbitdog
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:27 am  Reply with quote

I suspect that the manufactures guns that are most often seen at trap ranges is directly related to the preference of the club salesman. This is often the club operator. Their choice of manufacturer is determined by many factors not the least of which is sales profit. I travel and shoot competitively alot in a three state area. Mostly at smaller club (and ATA, KTA ) events where there are alot of the locals shooting. The locals most often will be shooting the same manufacturers guns that dominate the clubs sales counter.
When I started shooting trap some years ago the local club owner was pushing Beretta. Once I got hooked and started to compete I purchased a new Beretta because most of the GOOD LOCAL shooters were shooting them. The owner does sell about any manufacturers gun you want but pushes the Berettas. I am sure he has his reasons even though he doesn't shoot a Beretta hinself. He is Nationally ranked and is now on the National team.
Each club owner/ operator / salesman has a favorite brand they like to sell and I believe that is why some manufacturers seem to dominate the racks at any given club.

Birdswatter
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:06 pm  Reply with quote

Hey Fred, have you ever shot at Nemacolin?
jig
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:15 pm  Reply with quote

My local club doesnt sell guns so that doesnt apply to my range.
And, the largest Browning dealer in Washington State is 100 miles away.
Go figure. I would bet that nationally speaking Browning dominates the sporting scene by a wide margin. That said I handled several guerini's today and came away very impressed with that product line. If I went Italian, it would be the Guerini before Beretta as of now.

Pretty reasonably priced too. Actually very beautifull guns, that have their own unique look in a still traditional way. We also have a pretty large contingent of Krieghoff shooters too, they just werent present yesterday.
Prussian Gun Guy
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:26 pm  Reply with quote

When I went to Orvis sandanona, it was amazing how much Guerini ruled the day. Second place seemed to be Beretta. Me and my 16 ga. german guns didn't make the top 10. But, Orvis also sells the Guerini line, and the salesman there can't understand why SXS guns are made with 2 triggers.

At my "run whatcha brung" local preserve, Browning autos and Beretta doubles are the kings.

"There aint nothin' better than huntin' with a Setter"
onefunzr2
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:44 pm  Reply with quote

jig wrote:
(Browning...) Think they've become the Honda of shotguns. Dependable, sensible product at a reasoable price. With pretty much all price points covered all the way up to the Belgium Superposed guns which would cover the Honda's Acura division.
At least they are an American company (kind of)

Very good Honda analogy. Just wish I was admiring American craftsmanship.

Buckmark pistols are still made in Utah.

I can't wait for the 16ga BPS to arrive.

Does the slogan, "The Best there is" bear any witness to their popularity?
hoashooter
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:38 pm  Reply with quote

At most clubs Browning is by far the most popular followed by Berreta's.The average joe is well suited by the Browning due to it's price,durability and even resale value.Many still(myself included)still associate the name Browning with the fine Belgian models of yesteryear--no matter their current country of manufacture.Moving up to the shoots where the big boys are spending the bucks or are sponsored will you start to see the higher end Perazzi's,Kolars,etc.It doesn't make sense to spend so much on ashotgun you can't afford to shoot it Wink
fred lauer
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:31 pm  Reply with quote

Birdswatter, Not yet,but some friends have shot sporting there and they say it's really nice.

Birdswatter
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:10 am  Reply with quote

Fred, I've heard the same thing. I shot some pool there and drank a few Bass......didn't have the opportunity to shoot sporting, but did hunt some Pheasant at a nearby preserve, and got some fly fishing in not too far from there. Nice place, I plan on visiting it again next time I'm back there.