16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Vintagers Shoot
H.H. Hipshot
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:52 am  Reply with quote

I found this information about an upcoming shoot in Texas, and thought it might be of interest to the group. Their website is

http://www.vintagers.org/ .
----------------
Fourth National Side-by-Side Festival

Dear Ladies and Gentlemen,

It is with great pleasure that we bring you The Fourth National Side-by-Side Festival and Fine Gun Exhibition. Again, the Festival will be held at Rio Brazos Shooting Grounds in Simonton, Texas, on March 16, 17 and 18, 2007, 9 am – 5 pm daily. This beautiful club is located about an hour west and south of the George Bush Intercontinental Airport in Houston, Texas.

In addition to the National Side-by-Side Sporting Clays Championships, we will feature the World Side-by-Side Helice Championships. As you probably know, Helice is the mechanical form of the pigeon ring. Some say it is a more demanding, whereas others say it is a less demanding than the classic box-bird shoot. Find out for yourself! Non-competitive games will include Helice and 5-stand. Come join us and our sponsors (Santa Fe Trail Hunts and Arrighi Shelfer Helice), as well as our many exhibitors, for a bit of fun in the sun to shoot the wonderful course and targets that are set for your pleasure.

This event is open to the public and vintage attire is not required but always welcomed. Juniors shoot free with a parent or guardian registered in that event.

For exhibitor, shooter, attendee and hotel information, please send an e-mail to vintagersray@hotmail.com. If you are interested in a golf cart, a non-refundable payment 2 weeks prior to the event is required. Please call 413/339-5347.

The weather should be great, the venue spectacular and the camaraderie second to none; a combination that can’t be beat. Join us!

Hammers Back,

Ray Poudrier, President

Order of Edwardian Gunners

-----------
HHH

H.H. Hipshot
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:26 am  Reply with quote

Has anyone been to one of these events?

Any comments?

HHH

03 Guy
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:32 pm  Reply with quote

It's a wonderful idea. I'm sure I would enjoy myself emensly. Unfortunately my field grade LC Smith is a bit down scale for these folks.

Take a look at the guns on the "For Sale" link of that sight. That should give you some idea of the caliber of shooter you will encounter there.

Oh....to win the lottery!!! Very Happy
mlewis
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 6:34 pm  Reply with quote

This is a great shoot. I shot it last year and believe me, us Texacans out numbers those funny dressed guys from up North. I wore my boots and cowboy hat. Differt sort of Vintager, I guess??
It's a great shoot with a variety of shooter from around Texas. I shot my field grade 20ga Smith in the sub guage class and my 16ga Parker model PH in the 12ga event.
The Rio Brazos club sets up two courses, one for sub guage and one for the big boys. Us 16'ers have to shoot with the big dogs.
John Houchens from the LC Smith Collectors Association will be there with a nice display of LC Smiths. Also, I'm sure John will have a few copies of his new book, "LC Smith the Legand Lives".
I will be there proudly displaying my new 16ga society pin. It would be great to meet any other society members attending.

Give me a call,

Mike Lewis
281 543 2971
AmarilloMike
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:50 am  Reply with quote

I hope to be there with a two or three American sixteen SxSs - Parkers and Ithacas.

No one asked but I think the Sixteens shooting 7/8 oz loads should be allowed in the twenty gauge event. A sixteen shooting 1oz (or more) is OK in the 12 gauge event.

best,

Mike

Hal M. Hare
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:39 pm  Reply with quote

03 GUY

Don't worry about what some of the others are shooting. I have attended their events and you don't need anything other than a SxS shotgun! A guns 'pedigree' makes no difference when being shot.

Shoot you M-21, Ithaca, Huglu, or whatever. They don't care! Also, remember that the cost of the gun doesn't make anyone a better shooter. I had a good time putting my 'crown grade' Huglu in the rack with Hollands and Purdeys after shooting.

It is a great chance to see some great guns and meet some fine SxS fans.
Try it ...........and have fun shooting!