16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  BP - MULTI METAL WADS?
grouser47
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:21 am  Reply with quote

Anyone have any experience with the Ballistic Products multi metal wads. Bought some to try with Bismuth in my 16's. Questioning their preformance, in that the wad does not have any traditional petals but rather, a deep shotcup. What kind of distance and patterns can you expect .
Cheers & thanks!
DDawg
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:59 pm  Reply with quote

Hey grouser47, I shoot trap with bigbore and he uses the multi metal wads in his winchester model 12 16 gauge. Right now he is moving into a new house with his new wife. But, I will see if I can kick him out of the bush, so he can give you some info about the wads. They work good, I think he shot a 21x25 last wednesday. In heavy wind too. Later
sprocket
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 2:33 pm  Reply with quote

search around herer too - there was a thread not too long ago on this very thing...
britgun
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 5:38 pm  Reply with quote

I asked the same question, grouser, a couple weeks ago, seems they come without petals, you gotta cut your own, and everybody seemed to favor other wads, so I never got excited about my bag that is still just sitting there, let me know and I'll send you some more if you get fired up about 'em...

brit

spunky16
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 5:46 pm  Reply with quote

Grouser47, there's info at Hogdon for bismuth loads that require regular wads (sp16s). Several threads here and elsewhere suggest that you cut 4 petals with the multi-metal wads and generally cut to w/in 1/4" of the bottom of the cup.
grouser47
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 6:35 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks guys, BP describes the 10 & 12 ga multi metals as having interior petals - close examination the 16's do not. I'll load up some with slit and without slits and shoot a few out of my Merkel OU on Sunday at the club. Will pattern each also. Let you know.
xtimberman
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:08 pm  Reply with quote

Grouser47,

Please don't try any without cutting the slits! It turns your shot payload into a saboted shot projectile. Without the slits, the shotcup stays with the shot and becomes a tumbling, inaccurate, and dangerous nuisance.

I did this accidentally with some of the BPI 10 ga. shotcups. Sometimes the BP literature doesn't make this clear, but you must make 2, 3, or 4 cuts on the wad in order for the cup to release the shot properly.

Also, you must make the cuts deep enough on the shotcup to prevent pellets from remaining in the bottom of the cup.

xtm
hoashooter
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:44 pm  Reply with quote

Make a minumum of one slit(two piece)shotcup at least down to 1/4 inch from the bottom of the shot cup----You will find best results with a four fingered wad-usually
Haiwee
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:10 pm  Reply with quote

I echo the others. Failing to slit the BP wads results in turning your shotgun into a very inaccurate musket. I only use the MM wads for steel shot, where I feel the added heft of the wad affords a bit more protection to the barrel. For bismuth there are plenty of available loads using more conventional wads.