16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Remington Hulls
woodcock hunter
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:55 am  Reply with quote

What are the differences between Remington Black, Remington Green, and Remington SP hulls? I know that Remington Blacks and Greens load the same, but what does the SP stand for ?
Does anyone have a load for the Rem black/green shell that they like for sporting clays that is fast but kind to and old 16 ga double ?
I have loaded Fiocchi 16 ga's for a year now and the hull just does not hold up, splits at the crimp in some cases on brand new shells, so now I am going to move on to a new hull, I just bought 500 Remington black hulls from Precision reloading want to try blacks to see how they hold up .
I am seeing Remington 'SP' in some of the manuals and am confused.
Thanks for any advise.
Dave Miles
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:10 am  Reply with quote

I don't know what you have for wads, or what pressure you're looking for.
This is one load:
Black Remington Hull
Cheddite 209 primer
20 grains Longshot
Rem. SP-16 wad
1 Oz. lead shot
1200 FPS @ 7400 PSI

I load this with the Rem. 209P primer
and the Rem R-16 wad
Which should still be around 1150 FPS @ 7000 PSI
Load is out getting tested now, but it should have a lower PSI than the original load, due to the primer change.

Twice Barrel
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:56 am  Reply with quote

Woodcock the SP is just another name for the green Remington hull and load data can be used interchangeably with the Black Promotional and Green SP hulls.

One problem with reloading 16 gauge is that folks use different names for the same item, ie. BP SG16 versus Gualandi 1621, Active G28 versus Gualandi 1618 etc. etc. etc.
hoashooter
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:14 pm  Reply with quote

You will not be dissappointed with this hull Wink
citori16guy
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:35 am  Reply with quote

the black remington hulls are a waste of time in my experience, they curl at the mouth badly and split in a few loadings. besides that the sp16 wads require too much messing around with fillers etc to build light loads (i.e. 7/Cool... a much better combo is the red australian winchester super x hull with the gulandi (BPI sporting 16) wad. this hull likes fiocchi primers. i use 15.9 grains of clays with 7/8 shot and an overshot card. a great skeet load. only way i would load any black remingtons is to make 1-1/8 hunting loads and i'd probably trash them after that.. like i said a waste of time..

Dave Miles
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:32 am  Reply with quote

citori16guy,
Alot depends on what your loading for. I have to have low pressure, and I like the Remington and Cheddite hulls for that reason. I have very few Winchester hulls. But the ones I have, are trimmed to 2-9/16" loaded with black powder, shot one time and discarded. To each there own. Wink

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:52 am  Reply with quote

If you don't know, SP stands for "spend plenty". Laughing I buy the black promos for one third the cost and reload all my hunting ammo.

However, I have to agree with the fellow who is infringing on my name Evil or Very Mad, the latest lots of the GL-16 hull have been skived verey thinly and split a lot faster than the older ones I still have.

Hulls vary from lot to lot, so there are better ones out there probably. Time will tell. When it comes right down to it, most of the 16 gauge hulls available now are cheaply made and don't last long. Just a fact of life we must face in order to shoot the best darned gauge ever to come down the pike.
grouse gunner
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 5:37 pm  Reply with quote

About 18-24 months ago just after I discovered the joy of a 16 ga. model 12, I like I'm sure many of you, jumped into reloading this gauge for the first time and suffered our common frustration.

Sometime early on in my journey I spoke with either Remington or someone from one of the major powder companies (I don't remember which for sure) about the "sp" hull designation cited in many data sources.

I was told it stood for "steel plastic". That would make sense, as the black Rems have steel as opposed to brass metal portions.

Those of us who were used to decades of trouble free easy loading of 12 and 20 guage long lasting compression formed cases with readily available wads without fillers, were likely similarly surprised to discover the initial diffulty of reloading our neat gauge.

Since that time through trial and error, 99% of my 16 ga. practice and tournament loads now are either Dave Ericsons 20 ga. Gulandi load or 16gaugeguys R-16 with Circle Fly card load, both in 7/8 in the black Remington. I like them both and really don't have a clear preference but I do plan on patterning and sticking with one over the other if either proves clearly superior. I'm thinking that both will have their place as the Gulandi might open up a tighter choke a bit with less of the shot protected by the cup, and the Remington the reverse at longer ranges or on tough game. I know that both of these loads give me every skeet target I deserve and cheat me out of none.

Price and availability of components play a part too. I like the convenience of the Gulandi recipe and the cost has been lower. For live game, I am tending to prefer the R-16 load.

I can't opine on the newer flimsy case mouths as my cases are all a couple of years old. I hope Remington corrects that or my frustration may reappear.

Oh for a compression formed hull and simple wad for light loads!!!

I thought someone might like to know about the "steel plastic" designation.

Regards,
Grouse Gunner.
RWG
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 7:15 pm  Reply with quote

Remington uses "SP" to stand for Special Purpose. Most of their hunting gear has this designation. Guns as well as components.