16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns Wanted or For Sale  ~  Marlin O/U on gunbroker
Larry Brown
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:33 pm  Reply with quote

Woodcock, that's an interesting story I'd never heard before. Pretty unique design . . . straight line strikers, and strikers are often a problem with OU's because nearly all of them are angled. Most people don't credit the old Model 90 with being the first American-designed, American made OU--but it was, and deserves a certain amount of recognition for that reason. Even though it was the Superposed that probably sold the world on the OU design.
Charles Hammack
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:18 pm  Reply with quote

Hello Larry :

I wish is were the first American made O/U made, but the Rem 32 in 12ga was the first, I do think you will find The Marlin 90 was the FIRST AND ONLY 16ga American made, now I could be wrong but I think this is how it went. I am not that old but that is how the history books have it written anyhow LOL

I am still in the running for the gun in question we shall see who the lucky bidder is in a day or so..

Regards Charles
16'er
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 5:38 am  Reply with quote

Charles Hammack wrote:
Hello Larry :

I wish is were the first American made O/U made, but the Rem 32 in 12ga was the first, I do think you will find The Marlin 90 was the FIRST AND ONLY 16ga American made, now I could be wrong but I think this is how it went. I am not that old but that is how the history books have it written anyhow LOL

I am still in the running for the gun in question we shall see who the lucky bidder is in a day or so..

Regards Charles

Good luck with the marlin, I think it's worth it, I like the full btwn the barrel rib on that one. noticed a few of the marlins are like that too. did they produce both at the same time or was there a production date change?

BTW check out the other american made 16ga o/u

http://www.connecticutshotgun.com/index/ou/OU1.htm
Ted Schefelbein
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:29 am  Reply with quote

Larry was pretty particular in his description of "American designed" O/U for good reason-the Remington 32 is a copy of Damon Petrik's O/U. The French got it right, however, as the original is a light, sweet, field gun, and they are usually 16 gauge as well. Krieghoff uses pretty much the same design to this day.
Best,
Ted
woodcock
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:24 am  Reply with quote

Just to 'flesh this out' a bit more--
The 90 was 'invented' by one Ole Horsrud--his patent was filed in 1939 and granted in May of 1945. The original agreement between Sears and Marlin provided that the Marlin name WAS NOT to be marked on those guns delivered to Sears. Later, in 1945 Sears requested that the name of Marlin be added to the gun.
The "Skeetking" version was available only in 1939 and 1940--chokes were 'adjusted' at the factory for what they (the factory) determined to be the best target breaking spread at 20 and 30 yards, respectively.
There are several (3) forend latches, two barrel types (open and closed, closed being discontinued after 1950).
A single trigger version (inertia type?) was offerd in 1954 (it's a beast!)
Some were offered with stamped ducks on the receiver, some plain, and some with a setter; as gg and I discussed some time ago, that setter looked more like a pig to me.
Finally (whew!) there were, in 1953, two (yep,only 2) Model 90's made in 28ga.
Charles, I have the production figures for most years if you're interested.
Just one more thing, if you have or can get from the archives, a copy of the November-December issue of Sporting Clays, you will find an interesting article by Richard Owen titled 'The Perfect Qualin' Gun'---guess what it is? And in what gauge? Wink
Charles Hammack
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:30 pm  Reply with quote

Woodcock I can not thank you enough for providing me a name of the designer to put with the gun YEEEEPPPPPIIIIIEEEEE and what issue was that from 06????? You made my day for sure .....

Regards Charles
woodcock
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:15 am  Reply with quote

Please excuse the omission of complete information regarding that Sporting Clays article BUT you'll have to go to the archives as it was November-December 1994! If you can't find it shoot me a snail mail address and I'll burn you a copy and send it to you.
Charles Hammack
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 6:16 pm  Reply with quote

Hurahhhhha ::::

I won the bid on this 16ga and yep its worth every penny I paid for it and then some .

Woodcock I would love for you to send that to me .

The address is as follows

AAPRECISION MACHINE
18800 ROSE FINCH, RD.
RICHLAND, MO. 65556

Regards Charles
Charles Hammack
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 5:30 pm  Reply with quote

This is getting bad now , I received a call from Ben today and he said congradulations you have another Model 90 he found me a single trigger model and bought the thing for me LOL too bad it is in 12ga oh well but this is starting to look real bad I now have a COLLECTION .

I want shooters not collections LOL

Regards Charles
Larry Brown
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:47 am  Reply with quote

Ted Schefelbein wrote:
Larry was pretty particular in his description of "American designed" O/U for good reason-the Remington 32 is a copy of Damon Petrik's O/U. The French got it right, however, as the original is a light, sweet, field gun, and they are usually 16 gauge as well. Krieghoff uses pretty much the same design to this day.
Best,
Ted

Ted, you saved me the trouble. Remington swiped that design. I had a very nice 16ga Petrik, sideplated gun, made for Gastinne Renette. Probably shoulda kept it, but the barrels were on top of each other.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 7:14 am  Reply with quote

And who did the French steal it from? Just kidding. Laughing
Larry Brown
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:49 pm  Reply with quote

We make fun of the French, but they've been pretty innovative where shotgun design is concerned. Darne, Manufrance Ideal, Petrik, Baby Bretton . . . you might not like all their innovations, but you can't knock them for not thinking "outside the box".
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:49 am  Reply with quote

I kid the French at every turn I get, in spite of the fact that there is some French Canuck/NA history in my family tree. They are innovative, but God forbid anyone should admit it. They would be way too insufferable for monthes after.

The other problem is nobody else gets it half the time, because they tend to overcomplicate things too often. While they are busy trying to educate everyone to their overly complex ideas, the Germans invade, steal the best ideas, and simplify them so everyone gets it.

You see, Germans can explain anything with enough beer to help the process. By the time they are through explaining, nobody really cares anymore and is having a hell of a good time anyway.

Besides, its so damned hard to listen to a Frenchman explain his new idea, when you are looking up his nostrils the whole time. And..., the French never got a handle on good beer anyway. They make wine, highly overrated wine IMO. Perhaps I think this because they tend to drink the best and sell the failed vintages to to the rubes in America and Australia. One swig of that crap, and you'll side with the Germans and beer anytime. lol:
sprocket
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:26 pm  Reply with quote

16gaugeguy wrote:
I kid the French at every turn I get, in spite of the fact that there is some French Canuck/NA history in my family tree.

This explains things a bit - I should have recognized it sooner...
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:41 pm  Reply with quote

Explain what, my family tree? Nobody in my family can. You can give it a shot if you want to though. Rolling Eyes