16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  New to the 16. And this forum.
hoashooter
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 7:01 pm  Reply with quote

A woman sales rep can talk us into buying anything Twisted Evil
2fewdaysafield
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 7:08 pm  Reply with quote

Hi brit!

Bill and I go WAAAAAY back. Roughly 40 years. He was best man at my first wedding. Is Godfather to my son. Bill did everything we said we were going to do when we were kids. Bill is the smart one. And an amazingly goodhearted man. I've done a lot of stupid things in my life. Too much booze. Too many wives. Too much willfull stupidity. Its hard to face him. But I will call him tonight. Good friends are hard to come by. Thanks for reminding me of that.

Thanks....Kris
2fewdaysafield
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:30 pm  Reply with quote

Hey brit,

Thanks for kicking me in the backside. Just got off the phone with Bill. It was like old times! Thankyou! We tried to figure out who you were, but failed. Please do let him know that you're the guy that got me over my embarrassment.

I owe you a big debt of gratitude.

Thanks....Kris
britgun
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:15 pm  Reply with quote

2fewdaysafield wrote:
Hey brit,

Thanks for kicking me in the backside. Just got off the phone with Bill. It was like old times! Thankyou! We tried to figure out who you were, but failed. Please do let him know that you're the guy that got me over my embarrassment.

I owe you a big debt of gratitude.

Thanks....Kris

my name is Duncan Hill, he may just remember me.....

Upland Carpenter
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:55 am  Reply with quote

2few and Britgun,

I apologize for my intrusion into your conversation. I just wanted to say a big thumbs up to the both of you. True friends are extremely rare in this life. You did the right thing.

Marcus

''Common Sense isn't common" -Lefty Kreh
2fewdaysafield
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:01 pm  Reply with quote

Upland Carpenter,

No intrusion at all! I'm very grateful to britgun. Were it not for him, I'd have let my embarrassment keep me from calling Bill for another 3 years. How dumb can a guy get? We've been friends for 40 years. Just because I've been a bit of an idiot for a few years does not change that. I'm lucky britgun reminded me of that!
onefunzr2
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:33 pm  Reply with quote

2fewdaysafield wrote:
Called to order, but they were out of stock of the model I wanted and wouldn't have any till after his birthday.

But they had a 16 guage O/U with what the Gal I've dealt with there (and I accept her word as gospel) described a "gorgeous" wood.

Welcome to our society, Kris. You must have really braved the elements to have fired 1K rounds since January!

My question refers to who exactly "they" are, where you ordered the 16. A distributor, perhaps? No DeHaan's at your local dealers? Or was it like me, where there were no 16 Rizzini's to fondle, so I had to order from the Rizzini warehouse direct; sight unseen.

BTW, that Penn State alumnus, Larry Johnson, knows how to win!
2fewdaysafield
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:19 pm  Reply with quote

Hi onefnzr2!

"They" are DeHaan Shotguns. Home of doubles for people that make less $$$ than "Mr. You're Fired".

They have an import contract with Huglu in Turkey. Unlike the CZ shotguns that come from the same manufacturer, the DeHaan guns appear to be built to a higher contractual standard than the CZ shotguns. Better wood. Better fit and finish. Or anyway, this is my feeling as an owner and appears to be the concencus amongst other DeHaan owners. Also, DeHaan customer service is, according to virtually all reports, the best in the business. DeHaan Shotguns is owned by Mark DeHaan. They are a comparatively small American company out of Rigby, ID. They go over all the guns they import with a fine tooth comb before they will sell it. If it isn't up to snuff, it goes back to Turkey. More importantly, if their is a problem after you purchase one of their guns, you're not dealing with some monolith, you're dealing with Mark DeHaan. And he will make the problem right and do it quickly. Lets be honest, the true test of a company is not whether their products are perfect. Because no product is perfect. Its how they handle a problem. And according to all reports I've read (no personal knowledge, my gun has behaved perfectly) DeHaan really SHINES on the occassion when their is a problem.

The only drawback to DeHaan shotguns is that they do not sell through retailers. So you can't go into a gun shop and shoulder one. If you want to hold one before you buy, you either have to find someone who owns one who will let you try it out or you have to order it sight unseen. That scared me at first, but I did a lot of research and took the risk. I'm thrilled!

IMO, DeHaan offers excellent quality double guns at prices far lower than equivalent quality guns. That means a lot to me 'cause I LOVE doubles!

Since we are on a 16 guage forum, I should also point out that DeHaan 16s are on a true 16 frame, not a 12 frame.

If you would like to learn more about DeHaan Shotguns, please PM me and I'll send you a forum you can check out that has a lot of input about DeHaan. I just wouldn't feel right directing you to another shotgun forum "in the open" so to speak.

Lastly, let me say that I have no financial interest in DeHaan Shotguns (other than wishing I worked for them). So while I am a big fan of DeHaan Shotguns it is not because of any personal interest.

And yes, Larry Johnson DOES know how to WIN! If it wasn't for him and Tony Gonzales, I wonder if my beloved Chiefs would win 3 games a year.

So, tell me about your Rizzinni. Which of the 4 four Rizzinnis do you own? A good friend from the other forum is a fan and I'm starting to think that once my DaHaan lust is satisfied (though that will take a couple of years) I may start thinking about a Rizzinni collection.

Best....2few
onefunzr2
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 12:14 pm  Reply with quote

2fewdaysafield,

It is a B. Rizzini Aurum Light EL; (EL=embellished) true 16ga frame, 28" I\C Mod barrels, alloy receiver, English straight buttstock, 6 pounds even. About the only info\pic is here: http://www.williamlarkinmoore.com/rizzinib.html
Scroll to bottom of page, on left. Unlike the pic, mine is single trigger. I did not order from William Larkin Moore, but from my local gunshop, who got it from the RizziniUSA warehouse in West Chester, PA.

I also have on order a Browning BPS pump ShotShow special straight stock Upland Special, 26" barrels. Should arrive this autumn, as it's a limited production run.

I had not heard of DeHaans until joining this forum. And did not know they were special order, too. Good luck with yours!

2fewdaysafield
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 1:28 pm  Reply with quote

Hi Davey,

Your B. Rizzini Aurem Light EL is a FINE looking shotgun! The more I hear and see of the Rizzinis (especially B. Rizzini) the more intriqued I am. It is only recently that I am able to afford guns from sources other than Wal-Mart, so I'm really enjoying my introduction to better quality guns.

I fear I have misled you about DeHaan. For that I apologize. DeHaan offers both "production" double shotguns and special order guns. None can be (to the best of my knowledge) examined through a dealer. They are all sold direct to the customer. Naturally, transfer through an FFL is required. Their "production" guns run from high $600 to about a little over $1000. Their special order guns (including custom sized stock) run from about $1600 to $4000 plus depending on options/engraving/wood grade etc. Both the 20 guage I have in hand and the 16 guage en route to me are "prouction guns". The 16 I paid a little extra for. From time to time DeHaan receives a "production gun" with exceptional wood. As I mentioned in my earlier post all their "production guns" seem (from what I've seen and read) to have better wood than you would expect from a gun of similar price. Occassionally, they receive a "production gun" with truly exceptional wood. Most likely wood that was originally meant for a custom gun that "didn't quite cut it". These they sell for a slight ($75 in my case) upgrade charge. I like nice wood, so I JUMPED on it, even though it was an O/U rather than a SXS and it was a 16. In my opinion, their "production" guns make an outstanding field gun comparable to guns costing twice and more as much. Their custom guns seem to offer the opportunity for a "wage earner" to afford a shotgun he/she could never otherwise afford. Yes, they are "made in Turkey". But in my opinion a DeHaan shotgun "made in Turkey" is a substantially different gun than any other made in Turkey. But thats just my opinion and as I said, I'm only starting to learn the delights of doubles other than Wal-Mart/Spartan/Stoeger/Baikal. So take my opinion for what is worth. That of a double gun lover who knows the difference between bad, good and exceptional but still has to keep a sharp eye on the budget.

Reards...Kris
onefunzr2
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:57 am  Reply with quote

Who knows. I certainly didn't set out to buy a Rizzini. My first choice would have been Citori, but they were in between 16ga production runs and my overwhelming requirement was a 6 pound gun, for it is a field gun only. I don't shoot any of the organized clay sports. I couldn't find any Citori's at the time that fit the bill.

Then another society member posted that W L Moore had 2 new 16's in stock. That's what got me looking into B. Rizzini.

You'll see that a lot on this forum. A guy spots a 16er somewhere and will post its whereabouts so other members might have the first chance at it. 16gauge guy picked up a lightweight Citori I spotted elsewhere on Al Gore's internet. Cheap ammo deals are posted here also. So keep watching these pages. Something in your price range and dimentions might come along.

2fewdaysafield
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 5:59 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks, Davy. I'll keep a weather eye.
locoduck
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:24 pm  Reply with quote

2few,

Been reading lots of your posts both here and on SGW in the DeHaan forum. It's nice to know there are other Chiefs fans out there!!! We may be few and far between but we're loyal!

Wanted to share a quick story about my son and his love for the Chiefs. Just four months after moving to Texas (DFW area) from Oregon (we're natives) our 3rd son, Derek died in his sleep at the age of 16 from some sort of cardiac virus. To say the least it was the toughest pill we've ever had to swallow. He dearly loved the KC Chiefs. So much so that we felt compelled to have him buried in his Priest Holmes jersey. A few weeks after the funeral Derek received some literature from Dodge that, unknown to us, he had requested via the internet (he was a huge Viper fan). The spelling of his name on that piece of mail was Derrick not Derek. He loved Derrick Thomas (one of the greatest linebackers of all time) so much that he wanted to change the spelling of his name!! Now we know that he and Derrick are in the arms of the Lord enjoying Chiefs football from the best seat in the universe! Through an amazing twist of circumstances Derek and I were able to go to Texas Stadium to watch the Chiefs play the Cowboys in a 2004 pre-season game. Little did I know then that it would be his only chance to see his beloved Chiefs. He was on cloud nine the entire day and I thank God for granting us that time together, just the 2 of us. It will always hold a cherished place in my heart.

Back to shotguns..... I'm working with Cody at DeHaan right now to set aside a 16 ga. S2 Full Scroll with English stock and splinter forearm. She told me she found one that weighed 7.3 lbs and had very nice figure in the wood. I'm tracking down an FFL in my area tomorrow where I can have Cody ship it to. As soon as I have the FFL in my hand it and my payment will be on its way to Rigby.

All the best. I enjoy your posts. Put a post on the South-Central forum on SGW when you get ready to make that Texas dove hunting trip this fall. Maybe we can get some of the guys from SGW and 16ga. in the DFW area together.

L'duck <><
2fewdaysafield
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 3:24 am  Reply with quote

Howdy L'duck

I'm sorry of hear of Derek's passing, but I'm sure that with him putting a word or two in the right place we'll get to see our Chiefs in the Superbowl a bit more often! Great that you two got to see the Chiefs play the Cowboys! Its a matchup I've always wanted to see in person. With the Chiefs being originally from Dallas, the NFC team I pull for is the Cowboys. I'm still angry at that Cypriot (I think) Yepremiam (SP?) that denied me seeing Dawson vs. Staubach in the Super Bowl.

Hoo Boy, that 16 guage S2 sounds like a beauty. Neat that Cody will help find just the gun you're looking for. I really love doing business with them. BTW, I just Monday ordered a U1 16 guage for my Nephew's 13th birthday. Its on its way.

More later, got to go pay the bills!

Best...2few
ltking
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:00 pm  Reply with quote

I too am a new member, about 5 months. Have several 16's, and reload.
Guys have been most helpful with 16ga reload recipes. I enjoy reading the
forum, and do so early each morning. Eagerly waiting to see photos of your
16. I continue to look for a Parker 16, but am waiting for something special.
Recently bought an awesome LC Smith, but in 12ga. Just post your questions and concerns, and someone will graciously help. A good site, and a nice bunch of guys. If you go to Texas to hunt, watch out for those blue-eyed Texans, they are just a quart low. Brown eyed Texans, they are full of it! LOL, Larry