16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  My addiction grows
MGF
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:26 pm  Reply with quote

You guys are killing me. Since I joined this site, I've gotten more into shotguns and shooting. A year ago, I was looking for my first 16. Now I have two, Model 900 FAIR and a Verona LX501. A third, a BPS, is on order.

On Tuesday, I picked up the Verona, as well as a new Caesar Guerini Magnus in 20 gauge. I traded off my lovely little 20 gauge Sig TR20U (B. Riz) on the more lovely Guerini. The B.Riz was a touch long in the LOP, had a few nicks from the years, etc., and the CGs have been singing to me since they came out. The proof will tell in the shooting, but oh my is this little gun is gorgeous and does it feel alive in my hands and coming to my cheek! Smile

I closed the deal and did the paperwork on my new two new objects of joy Monday, but had to wait until Tuesday to pick them up, as I'm an Illinois resident, and we have a 24-hour waiting period on long guns. Naturally, I filled Monday evening with accessory shopping ... four flats of shells and some more cleaning supplies. And, of course, when I got the guns home Tuesday, I read the manuals word for word (no new info there, but I felt obligated). Then I broke 'em down and gave 'em a good clean and lube, right down to their little choke tubes. I had a grin on all day.

The really good news: Between cash on hand, my tax return and my trade-in, I'll have less than four grand into my three new bundles of joy and won't have to tax the plastic.

Of course, being a recovering Catholic, I now feel I'm being punished because Sunday, my first day off and chance to go to the club, the forecast calls for rain and/or snow showers. Laughing

You are all very bad men, and I've got to stop hanging out with you. Razz
Or maybe not.

Good shooting, everyone.
Prussian Gun Guy
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:50 pm  Reply with quote

Congratulations and good shooting. I've been admiring the Cesar Guerini guns for a while. If I ever was to break down and buy myself a stack barrel gun, I think it would be the Cesar Guerini.

Does anyone know if they offer them in a 16 ga?

"There aint nothin' better than huntin' with a Setter"
onefunzr2
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:31 pm  Reply with quote

They do not.

jig
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 3:30 pm  Reply with quote

And its a good thing they don't cuz if you think you have the sickness bad you oughta jump into my shoes. I can't seem to go 2 weeks without making a gun deal and I don't even have a job Shocked !!! Oh it gets worse, trust me. Don't know how long youve been inhabiting this site but the addiction is pretty much proportional to length of time spent here.Be especially aware and carefull of posts by folks such as Britgun, he's got the disease real bad and its contagious even across cyberspace!! You might say its the first gun disease virus that has jumped from cyber, to humans.Pretty soon you will even be thinking about finding a merkel in 16GA. That stage of the disease is when it gets real bad and God only knows where it goes from there...H&H, Purdy, McNaughton, theres no end. :cry:Yep, can see it now, you'll need a specimen from France, Germany, England, Scotland, America, Belgium, Japan and maybe even Spain and Italy.
Highcountry
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 3:55 pm  Reply with quote

And you thought that the bird flu is bad!! Shocked Laughing With no vaccine in sight.

britgun
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:15 pm  Reply with quote

jig wrote:
And its a good thing they don't cuz if you think you have the sickness bad you oughta jump into my shoes. I can't seem to go 2 weeks without making a gun deal and I don't even have a job Shocked !!! Oh it gets worse, trust me. Don't know how long youve been inhabiting this site but the addiction is pretty much proportional to length of time spent here.Be especially aware and carefull of posts by folks such as Britgun, he's got the disease real bad and its contagious even across cyberspace!! You might say its the first gun disease virus that has jumped from cyber, to humans.Pretty soon you will even be thinking about finding a merkel in 16GA. That stage of the disease is when it gets real bad and God only knows where it goes from there...H&H, Purdy, McNaughton, theres no end. :cry:Yep, can see it now, you'll need a specimen from France, Germany, England, Scotland, America, Belgium, Japan and maybe even Spain and Italy.

he ain't just whistlin' dixie, y'all, if you get bit, it's like a runaway train.... just hope there's a bridge out somewhere's up ahead..... YIKES.... Wink

MGF
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:06 am  Reply with quote

jig wrote:
That stage of the disease is when it gets real bad and God only knows where it goes from there...H&H, Purdy, McNaughton, theres no end. :cry:Yep, can see it now, you'll need a specimen from France, Germany, England, Scotland, America, Belgium, Japan and maybe even Spain and Italy.

Oh, God help me! Smile

I've been on this board for a year and have had tremendous fun. I doubt I'll reach the heights of collecting or shooting that some of you have. I'm living in an inexpensive apartment in a somewhat questionable neighborhood, driving a seven-year-old truck and grinding it out 55 to 60 hours a week.

But I do love bird dogs and bird guns. Get me in the field with a good friend an even slighty talented dog that wants to hunt for and with his partner, a live-handling bird gun ... and my soul just lightens up and I feel human again. On a really good day of walking with a dog and gun, I feel like a happy little kid again ... the pressures of the world slip away and I'm just awed to be there.
Prussian Gun Guy
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 2:42 am  Reply with quote

16 Gauge. The only medicine for "BIRD FLEW".

"There aint nothin' better than huntin' with a Setter"
britgun
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:55 am  Reply with quote

MGF wrote:
jig wrote:
That stage of the disease is when it gets real bad and God only knows where it goes from there...H&H, Purdy, McNaughton, theres no end. :cry:Yep, can see it now, you'll need a specimen from France, Germany, England, Scotland, America, Belgium, Japan and maybe even Spain and Italy.

Oh, God help me! Smile

I've been on this board for a year and have had tremendous fun. I doubt I'll reach the heights of collecting or shooting that some of you have. I'm living in an inexpensive apartment in a somewhat questionable neighborhood, driving a seven-year-old truck and grinding it out 55 to 60 hours a week.

But I do love bird dogs and bird guns. Get me in the field with a good friend an even slighty talented dog that wants to hunt for and with his partner, a live-handling bird gun ... and my soul just lightens up and I feel human again. On a really good day of walking with a dog and gun, I feel like a happy little kid again ... the pressures of the world slip away and I'm just awed to be there.

I know EXACTLY how you feel, I feel the same way, too.about getting out in the field and how good it makes you feel.......I drive an "89 landcruiser, and my wife drives a '95 Suburu and then I have a beat to death Tundra (2001) for the ranch.....but I have a few decent guns, heh heh heh.... Smile

old16
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:44 am  Reply with quote

Stop, stop, stop.
I was going to wait till Saturday to fell the recoil of one of my 16's on skeet.
I am having a relasp. I can't wait no longer. I'm going to get the Parker down off the wall and go out and blow the heck out of something. I don't no what but it has to be with a 16. Its the only prescription that will calm me down. This place is not good for the weak minded 16'er.

jig
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:45 am  Reply with quote

Very eloquently said MGF. You described my sentiments and feelings of the field to a tee. You made what is always hard to explain to folks that don't experience the walk with the dog in the field - on the hunt much easier. Although I can take it one step further - I don't even care if the dog has any talent, other than having four legs and some energy. Fortuntely, I'm working with the most well rounded lab I've ever had right now. My brother is headed to Wyoming to pick up his new pup next month as his aging friend is on the decline.
britgun
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:40 am  Reply with quote

old16 wrote:
Stop, stop, stop.
I was going to wait till Saturday to fell the recoil of one of my 16's on skeet.
I am having a relasp. I can't wait no longer. I'm going to get the Parker down off the wall and go out and blow the heck out of something. I don't no what but it has to be with a 16. Its the only prescription that will calm me down. This place is not good for the weak minded 16'er.

go find some pigeons someplace (sky rats)...it always helps me at times like this....

MGF
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:41 am  Reply with quote

Thanks, jig. I think that's the first time I've heard me and eloquent used in the same sentence. Smile

Good to hear about the Lab and your brother's coming trip. In February, on a trip home for my mom's 83rd birthday party, I got to see a friend I hadn't seen in months: My oldest brother's choclolate Lab, a 100-pound muscular knothead with a noggin' like an anvil. He's a big, happy 5-year-old boy who still does this puppy-like long-ways rollover, starting on his big melon, when he's real happy.

Us two big bruisers went for a walk, played in the yard cuddled up on the floor. The family that doesn't know the depth of the whole back story think its remarkable how much we love each other and how well Gus listens to me. A couple years ago, I was out of work for nearly five months, I'd go to to my brother's house every day to use his computer. Gus got a new daytime buddy -- including lunch and a trip to the park every day, plus some time in the pool every week and a couple of brushing outs, which he loves. In return, he kept me laughing and sane. At the end of every day, we'd go for a ride to the post office so I could send out resumes. That big brown bruiser was a godsend during what could have been a tough time. I really hated moving away from him.

I dearly love my other brother's setters and golden -- who take me hunting, God bless them -- but there's something undeniably, ridiculously wonderful about the love of a Lab.
britgun
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:55 am  Reply with quote

jig wrote:
Very eloquently said MGF. You described my sentiments and feelings of the field to a tee. You made what is always hard to explain to folks that don't experience the walk with the dog in the field - on the hunt much easier. Although I can take it one step further - I don't even care if the dog has any talent, other than having four legs and some energy. Fortuntely, I'm working with the most well rounded lab I've ever had right now. My brother is headed to Wyoming to pick up his new pup next month as his aging friend is on the decline.

Yo jigger, didja git the history on that grif and howe gun you posted?

Duncan

jig
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:56 am  Reply with quote

My love for my little yellow even has my wife jealous. Thats how ridiculous that love with a lab can be. She actually said to me, "I see the way you and her look at each other". She says" she's definitely your dog". And when the wife relegates me to the couch, guess who I sleep with? Its funny.
But during my time of unemployment she has jelped keep me sane I guess. And, we have built a great bond