16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  My new (old) Sterly misfires
Silvers
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 7:40 pm  Reply with quote

It might be too late but before you take the stock off are you sure the primers in the 2 misfired shells weren't set too deeply in their hulls when they were loaded at the factory? Protrusion of the hammer nose is about .040-.050" on a Fox (which is plenty) but a primer that is set too deeply will only get a light dent from the hammer nose/pin. The firing pins do not "float", and the hammers do not rebound, as on some other guns - therefore they cannot go farther forward than the end of the hammer travel. I ran into a batch of factory shells (not RST's) that had that problem. About 1-2 per box of 25 were too deep.

Taking a stock off a Fox or any vintage double gun is not for someone who doesn't really know what they're doing and isn't equipped with a set of gunsmith screwdrivers and a arbor press. I've seen a bunch of Fox receivers that have marks on the sides of the receivers where the punch slipped when hammering the sear pin. Silvers

Last edited by Silvers on Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:18 am; edited 1 time in total

txshootist
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 7:54 pm  Reply with quote

Silvers wrote:
It might be too late but before you take the stock off are you sure the primers in the 2 misfired shells weren't set too deeply in their hulls when they were loaded at the factory? Protrusion of the hammer nose is only about .040-.050" of a Fox and a primer that is set too deeply will only get a light dent from the hammer nose/pin. I ran into a batch of factory shells (not RST's) that had that problem. About 1-2 per box of 25 were too deep.

Taking a stock off a Fox or any vintage double gun is not for someone who doesn't really know what they're doing and isn't equipped with a set of gunsmith screwdrivers and a arbor press. I've seen a bunch of Fox receivers that have marks on the sides of the receivers where the punch slipped. Silvers

It's not too late, and no, I'm not going to tear into the gun. As for the primer depth, I am pretty sure it's not the ammo's fault. Only happens on the left side. I will try other brands just to see if some primers are less likely to mis-fire with the softer hitting pin on my Fox. In the mean time I'll try spraying some WD40 in the internal works just to loosen any old oil and grime. It just might help.

Thanks,
Marc
fred lauer
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 8:05 pm  Reply with quote

I have Fox guns from 1919 to 1936 vintage and can pass on a bit of experience to you. I might add that 2 of them have been hard hunted by me for about 25 years. In dry years,when goldenrod and other seeds make a lot of dust and crud on the guns, I've had the light strike problem. It always shows up on one barrel and it's usually the right. Your guess that crud is the problem is correct. Disassembly needs go no farther than removal of the trigger plate. Piece of advice: grind a square shank screw driver to fit the trigger plate screw and save it for that specific job. Put your action upside down in a good vise, push down hard on screwdriver(so it won't slip), use a 6" Crescent wrench on the square shank to turn it. If it hasn't been out in a long time or was never removed, it should be tighter than hell. After removal of trigger plate(watch out for the tiny spring in the screw hole as previously mentioned by Rev), spray it out with a good degreaser. Blow dry with comp. air. Spray with WD40( it displaces moisture, but will acumulate crud) and blow it clean again. Now oil all friction points with a drop of oil(don't go crazy with it). Reassemble and it should work fine for a number of years.Sometimes the internal parts will have a rust accumulation. PB blaster (penetrating oil)and a tooth brush will loosen this up. Hope this helps you. It works for me.

txshootist
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 8:25 pm  Reply with quote

fred lauer wrote:
I have Fox guns from 1919 to 1936 vintage and can pass on a bit of experience to you. I might add that 2 of them have been hard hunted by me for about 25 years. In dry years,when goldenrod and other seeds make a lot of dust and crud on the guns, I've had the light strike problem. It always shows up on one barrel and it's usually the right. Your guess that crud is the problem is correct. Disassembly needs go no farther than removal of the trigger plate. Piece of advice: grind a square shank screw driver to fit the trigger plate screw and save it for that specific job. Put your action upside down in a good vise, push down hard on screwdriver(so it won't slip), use a 6" Crescent wrench on the square shank to turn it. If it hasn't been out in a long time or was never removed, it should be tighter than hell. After removal of trigger plate(watch out for the tiny spring in the screw hole as previously mentioned by Rev), spray it out with a good degreaser. Blow dry with comp. air. Spray with WD40( it displaces moisture, but will acumulate crud) and blow it clean again. Now oil all friction points with a drop of oil(don't go crazy with it). Reassemble and it should work fine for a number of years.Sometimes the internal parts will have a rust accumulation. PB blaster (penetrating oil)and a tooth brush will loosen this up. Hope this helps you. It works for me.

Fred,
Thanks again for the good advice. You are about the third guy to mention that the likely culprit is dirt/grime/rust. We are heavy in pollen here in Texas now, and there's no telling how much other crap is inside the action of this 1935 vintage gun. If I do undertake the disassembly it will be with much care and caution and the proper tools. Sounds like the cure to me.

Marc
Silvers
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 5:49 am  Reply with quote

Just trying to help. You said your gun misfired twice in 50 shots on the left barrel. Really, that's not much of a "data base" to conclude it's positively the Fox's fault. Could be coincidence that two low primer shells were both put in the left barrel. Please humor me - get out a precision 6" scale and put it on the back end of some new unfired shells. Look to see how much daylight you can see between the scale and the back end of the primers. If you check 25 or so shells and all are nice and flush, then by all means go after the gun. Incidentally I have used Fox guns for many years and currently have a bunch of them. I've never had dirt, grit, hayseeds, or anything else cause light primer strikes. Of course there's always a first time, and that scenario certainly can happen.

Personally I would invest in a "mag tip" screwdriver from Brownells and get the exact bits (width and thickness) I need to work on all the Fox's screws. Too hard to keep the sides parallel when grinding a regular screwdriver by hand. Silvers

Last edited by Silvers on Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:51 am; edited 1 time in total

txshootist
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 5:55 am  Reply with quote

Silvers wrote:
Just trying to help. You said your gun misfired twice in 50 shots on the left barrel. Really, that's not much of a "data base" to conclude it's positively the Fox's fault. Could be coincidence that the two low primer shells were both put in the left barrel. Please humor me - get out a precision 6" scale and put it on the back end of some new unfired shells. Look to see how much daylight you can see between the scale and the back end of the primers. If you check 25 or so shells and all are nice and flush, then by all means go after the gun. Incidentally I have used Fox guns for many years and currently have a bunch of them. I've never had dirt, grit, hayseeds, or anything else cause light primer strikes. Of course there's always a first time, and that scenario certainly can happen.

Personally I would invest in a "mag tip" screwdriver from Brownells and get the exact bits (width and thickness) I need to work on all the Fox's screws. Too hard to keep the sides parallel when grinding by hand. Silvers

Will do, thanks again.

Marc
jig
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:41 am  Reply with quote

Yeah, i will be interested to know. That critique of your idea about freezing was made because we all know that for example:

Let's say you leave a gun out in your car uncased overnight and it freezes outside. Then, you wake up in the morning and kind of go "oh S$%, I left my gun out in the car". Then, you bring in the now very cold gun, into the very warm house and put it away in the cabinet, or worse its case. Condensation will start to form on that gun - that is a fact. I have no practical experience with the freezing of pins in this matter. But common sense just tells me that it could be a problem - but maybe not.
britgun
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:52 pm  Reply with quote

revdocdrew wrote:
Marc: I hope this helps

First you must remove the sears so that you can pull the stock off the frame.
Remove the triggerguardscrews and trigger guard. The guard will screw out of the floor-plate. Next, remove the tang screws, both top and bottom. Remove the screw in the floor plate, lift the floor plate out of the frame by lifting with the triggers and tapping around it with a soft hammer, at this point, BE CAREFUL, there's a SMALL coil spring and the top lever trip pin in the hole that the floor plate screw came out of. The spring may fall out on it's own when the frame is inverted, (and probably will so BE CAREFUL!!!)) if not use a small wire to pull it out. The trip pin will stay in, unless the top lever is moved back to the center position.
I never remove the pin entirely. I simply push it far enough in to let the one sear drop, then I push the pin the other direction until the second sear falls out. I leave the pin in the gun. Don't forget to tighten the small set screw that keeps the pin from moving when you reassembel the gun.
You can now see the sear tails are against the wood when you pull the stock back. next, remove the tiny screw that retains the sear pin, using a small drift punch to drive out the sear pin. Tip the heel of the stock down to clear the safety mechanism and it should come off.
NOTE: There is a safety push rod in a small hole in the head of the stock that is easy to lose.
This will get the butt stock off and should be more than enough disassembly for a through cleaning and re-oiling.

dang, Drew, how do you know all this stuff about Sterlys? I thought you were an Elsie man.... Wink

revdocdrew
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:56 pm  Reply with quote

Duncan: A 16g custom Princess-of-Whales Sterly jilted me big time, but I've still got my 12g Sterly S. Dakota pheasant whacker Rolling Eyes
(Please don't share with the LCSCA fellas Wink )

britgun
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:58 pm  Reply with quote

revdocdrew wrote:
Duncan: A 16g custom Princess-of-Whales Sterly jilted me big time, but I've still got my 12g Sterly S. Dakota pheasant whacker Rolling Eyes
(Please don't share with the LCSCA fellas Wink )

gotcha, bro... Smile

britgun
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:59 pm  Reply with quote

ya know, txshootist, George will fix it for you probably for nothing, you should give him a ring, he's treated me nothing but right....

Duncan

M D Christian
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 5:53 pm  Reply with quote

Jig: maybe in theory, but I just looked into an NID that I put Cold pins in about 10 years ago,no rust.. Assuming you're out grouse hunting all day in 20 degree weather, you come home and put you double in a 70 degree gun case. I'm sure you don't completely dissemble your gun, take out the sears, pins etc..Same deal. However, if you're concerned, don't do it. MDC
txshootist
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:22 am  Reply with quote

britgun wrote:
ya know, txshootist, George will fix it for you probably for nothing, you should give him a ring, he's treated me nothing but right....

Duncan

Duncan,

I thought about that and have not yet decided how to proceed. I'm still not totally averse to doing the job myself. A little more studying and evaluating is in order before I do, though. George does seem very willing to please. Question is: Is he set up to do the teardown properly? Talking with him it sounds like he is pretty knowledgeable. Thanks for the advise.

Marc
britgun
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:37 am  Reply with quote

txshootist wrote:
britgun wrote:

Duncan

Duncan,

I thought about that and have not yet decided how to proceed. I'm still not totally averse to doing the job myself. A little more studying and evaluating is in order before I do, though. George does seem very willing to please. Question is: Is he set up to do the teardown properly? Talking with him it sounds like he is pretty knowledgeable. Thanks for the advise.

Marc

If he can tear down and reassemble an Elsie (which is really really hard from what i understand), I think he can do the Fox... good luck....

it doesn't sound serious....

Duncan

txshootist
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:57 am  Reply with quote

Well, I have made a decision to have the gun worked on locally. Just up the road about 5 minutes, in Plano, there is a gunsmith who is very comfortable working on Sterlies. We talked a bit about the teardown procedure, etc., and he knew exactly how to proceed. When I asked how much for a thorough cleaning, he said $45. I hope I haven't let my cheap Scottish heritage get the best of me. That was a bargain in my opinion. I could do $45 worth of damage in a second by trying to do the work myself. He has a 2 month backlog of work, so it won't be ready until May or June. I was hoping to have it by our North Texas Shoot in late April. Oh well, the Elsie and Model 12 will have to suffice. He also said that parts were readily available if it came to that.

I will report back in a couple of months with the results. Hopefully we will have discovered another good double gunsmith on which to depend.

Marc