16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  New guy looking for Ithaca advice. "custom order 37&quo
nordhaven
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 6:26 pm  Reply with quote

Hi folks, great board you have here!! I'm interested in trying a 16ga and have been shopping around a bit. For now I think I would like stick to a pump gun. From what I have found, about the only two current models out there are the Ithaca 37 and the new chamber BPS. The Ithaca has a rock solid rep. I have been reading up on their web site. Can I order a 37 with any combo of stock and fore grip and barrel length? Thats what It sounds like to me. As long as the old "new" parts hold out they are custom assembling any combo you like. Correct me if I'm wrong here. Here is the web page.

I think a 16ga model 37 with straight English stock and slim forend cut to 24" sounds like the perfect grouse gun for me!

Grousen
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 8:16 pm  Reply with quote

The Ithaca 37 would certainly be my choice, much lighter than the Browning BPS, for a field gun. I talked to them about 10 days ago and was told their 20 gauges should be out in 5 to 6 months, followed by the 16's. Which probably will be well after bird seasons open.

The BPS's weight was incorrectly listed on their website. Browning says it will be close to their 20 gauge in weight, which is still much heavier than it should be. Also, the time period has elapsed for their dealers to place their orders for the 16's. You might still be able to find a dealer that doesn't have all of his that he ordered spoken for.

Ithaca's have a sweet feel and swing. I hope you can hold out for one. Please do call them at their phone number posted on their website. They are extremely customer friendly, and will spend as much time on the phone with you as you like. I have seen their 12 gauge Model 37 birdguns, which are only lacking butt stocks. I was very impressed with their quality as they were made on CNC machining. Slick actions, beautiful bluing and nicely engraved.

Ithaca has had some tough going in the start up phase, and have been slow in getting production going. But it looks like they have their financing now, and that they will be able to stay in Upper Sandusky, Ohio. I'm sure you will be glad you waited for an Ithaca, should you decide to do so.

Good luck in your pursuit of a 16 gauge. I hope you will let us know how things turned out. And welcome to this site as well.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:28 am  Reply with quote

The newer 16 ga 37 models all have heavier walled barrels than the old, pre-choke tube models. The weight for a 26 inch standard, steel framed 16 ga Featherlight, is pretty close to 7 pounds. That is what mine actually weighs. This is not a lot less than the projected weight of the BPS 16. So be advised. I would not let the weight issue be the deciding factor if I were you. Just my opinion. I'm certain either gun will serve you very well. I'm gouing to own both. Why not?
nordhaven
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:29 pm  Reply with quote

Called Ithaca today. No model 37's till late fall Crying or Very sad
BPS won't be out till fall either. Crying or Very sad

What the heck? the only two models I really want and there 6 months out.

Ted Schefelbein
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:54 pm  Reply with quote

When I last spoke to them, they said they were DEFINITELY going to produce the Ultras in 16 and 20, and had completed proof load testing of a 28 gauge version of the Ultra. Craig also informed me that there had never been a recorded issue with the aluminum Ultra receivers, from any of the Ithaca companies that had produced them, and they had used that receiver for proofing the new 28 because it was much easier to prototype and tool quickly, as opposed to a steel receiver. And, they couldn't hurt it, with big, nasty proof loads. He didn't know if there would be a 28 gauge Ultra.
If you can find an Ultra in 20 or 16, you will find they weigh about a pound less than the steel counterpart. And the weight is missing from right between the hands, making them sweet shooters. The 12 Ultras were pleasant to carry, but, recoil was a bit punishing. Sit tight, with a bit of luck, good things are coming...
Best,
Ted
16ga.forever
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:12 pm  Reply with quote

I am new to this sight as well and I just bought a 37 off this site. It has the checkered forearm.I called the factory about a week ago and ordered another 16 with the ringed forearm. They were extremely nice and helpful. They told me not to expect any 16's for at least a year . Sad Sad It will be worth the wait. Very Happy gary.....16.forever