16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Approx pressures on Remington Game Loads
txshootist
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:13 am  Reply with quote

Would anyone have the approximate pressures for the Remington Game Load 16ga 2 3/4" 2 1/2 Dram Equiv #8 shot 1200mv?
CitoriFeather16
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:15 am  Reply with quote

If I remember correctly, they are over 10,000 psi. Rem. makes them stout enough to function in the older automatics. I buy them and shoot them in my Sweet 16 and reload them with much lower pressure for my older SXS.

Matt
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:24 am  Reply with quote

That figure of 10K psi might be a bit stout. I think most ammo manufacturers like to keep their promo loads at 9.2K or so. This psi level will operate the most cantankerous auto loader, yet still be near the top end of black powder pressures. They might post it as 10K for liability reasons, but its actually less. Store bought ammo must be safe to shoot in just about any gun of the prober gauge and chamber length considered functionally sound.
txshootist
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:32 am  Reply with quote

16gaugeguy wrote:
That figure of 10K psi might be a bit stout. I think most ammo manufacturers like to keep their promo loads at 9.2K or so. This psi level will operate the most cantankerous auto loader, yet still be near the top end of black powder pressures. They might post it as 10K for liability reasons, but its actually less. Store bought ammo must be safe to shoot in just about any gun of the prober gauge and chamber length considered functionally sound.

I'm looking for some "store-boughts" that will safely fire in my 1935 Sterly 2 3/4". It's tough to find anything these days that is light on the pressures, short of RST (2 1/2") and the like. Thought the Remingtons sounded like a light load. Maybe not so light afterall. Thanks for the information.

Marc
Upland Carpenter
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:56 am  Reply with quote

Fiocchi lists their 1oz. (1165 fps) dove load at 6810 psi. Product # 16GT. Shot sizes 7.5, 8,9. I wish they loaded them in 6's as well. Graf & Sons has them- $6.99 box I think. Gander Mtn. here stocks them occasionally for the same price.

Revdocdrew had started a listing of load pressures. Not sure where it got to.

Also: Fiocchi (product# 16 FLD) 1 1/8 oz.- 8890 psi; Gamebore (2 1/2")- 8122psi Bass Pro here carries them; PolyWad Vintager- 6500psi, Doublewide- 7500psi.

All the best.
Marcus

''Common Sense isn't common" -Lefty Kreh
Square Load
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:58 am  Reply with quote

The Low Pressure Group sent some Rem GL's to Tom Armbrust a few years ago for testing. They developed 10860 psi and had a velocity of 1216 fps.

Dennis
h1tdk00
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:16 am  Reply with quote

Mark, the low pressure group have tested different factory loads for pressure. If I remember correctly the Remington game loads tested a little over 10,000 psi. You might try the Winchester SuperX 1 oz. loads, I believe they tested around 9,000 psi.

Tim
txshootist
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:32 am  Reply with quote

To be on the safe side, I'll stick with RST and other specialty loads. I0K seems a bit much for the target range and for the old Sterly. The Winchester may be a possibility if I can find them. Thanks for all the input.

Marc
SShooterZ
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:10 am  Reply with quote

From my observation, I would assume the Fiocchi loads are low pressure. They leave a LOT of residue and unburnt powder in the barrel which is usually an indication of low pressure.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:23 am  Reply with quote

Unless your '35 Sterlingworth has been weakened by neglect and corrosion, it should be quite safe with any domestic or foreign factory ammo produced today. Most guns made in the 1930's were made of ordenance proofed steel just like today's guns are. They were also proofed with some very stout proof loads similar to today's proof loads.

If it was a black powder or pre WWI gun, I'd be careful. but your Sterlie was built to take it and will. Acceptable peak smokless shotgun ammo pressures have not changed much since that time. In fact smokless shotgun powders have actually gotten milder and slower over the last half century in the search for higher velocities and for use with magnum loads. Smokless powders like Red Dot, Green Dot, and Unique have been around for almost 100 years now.

I too tend to limit pressures on hinge guns for everyday use ammo like skeet and trap fodder. For hunting ammo, I'd not worry unless you are shootintg a lot of it all the time.
txshootist
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:26 am  Reply with quote

16gaugeguy wrote:
Unless your '35 Sterlingworth has been weakened by neglect and corrosion, it should be quite safe with any domestic or foreign factory ammo produced today. Most guns made in the 1930's were made of ordenance proofed steel just like today's guns are. They were also proofed with some very stout proof loads similar to today's proof loads.

If it was a black powder or pre WWI gun, I'd be careful. but your Sterlie was built to take it and will. Acceptable peak smokless shotgun ammo pressures have not changed much since that time. In fact smokless shotgun powders have actually gotten milder and slower over the last half century in the search for higher velocities and for use with magnum loads. Smokless powders like Red Dot, Green Dot, and Unique have been around for almost 100 years now.

I too tend to limit pressures on hinge guns for everyday use ammo like skeet and trap fodder. For hunting ammo, I'd not worry unless you are shootintg a lot of it all the time.

Point well taken! Thanks,
Marc
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:41 am  Reply with quote

One more point, some folks equate high pressure with recoil. High pressure does not equate to velocity in all cases. slower burning powders can reach higher velocities at lower pressures with equal loads of shot.

This point is important for folks with older guns. Higher velocity with a given load of shot always generates more recoil. It is the stress of heavy recoil that can damage older shotgun stock wrists if the wood has become overly dried out and brittle or is damaged from petroleum and solvent saturation.

Always make sure your old gun's stock is both sound and supple. There are ways to correct both brittleness, and oil saturation. Have it done before its too late. Nothing is sadder than a fine old gun with a broken stock wrist. Nothing is quite as expensive to replace either. nothing will depreciate a gun's value more either, even if its fixed back to sound and barely noticable.

Who wants to buy a gun with a repaired wrist. Its too risky unless you know who did the work and how. this is not often possible. Nor would most folks take an unfamiliar seller's word for it. I won't. Unless the new replacement stock price is figured into the sale already, I'm not buying. Why risk it.

So I'm betting a lot of otherwise sound old doubles get relegated to the attic for this reason alone or even tossed out later on by folks who do not want the old gun and do not know its value. It's probably the number one cause why otherwise sound old double guns get scrapped.

If you have an old double, get the wrist reinforced in a way that does not show at all. It will insure the gun's value for posterity. Its not expensive either in considering what is at risk. It will be far cheaper to do and the results more satisfactory than an after the break repair I'll wager. Just my thoughs on the subject.
Scatrgunr
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 4:30 pm  Reply with quote

16gaugeguy wrote:

Okay, I'm going to step in here. I used to use a 1918 Field Grade L.C. Smith 12ga. to shoot trap with. I shot several thousand handload and factory load target shells AA's, STS's, etc. and never had a problem. Then I used the gun for goose with factory loaded 2 3/4 in. bismuth loads. I learned a lesson the hard way. Just because a shell fits the gun does not mean it is safe to use. Take it from Nine Fingered Mark.

TJC
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:58 pm  Reply with quote

Ouch Exclamation That had to hurt and was for sure a hard lesson learned.

SShooterZ
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:31 pm  Reply with quote

Was that an obstruction rupture?

Typically peak pressure is achieved at ignition and then the pressure drops off as the payload travels down the barrels. With the distance that rupture is from the chamber, I would assume it was either an obstruction or the barrels had been honed/weakened at some time and just happened to go on that shot.