16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  recipe series - chuckar
jig
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 11:17 pm  Reply with quote

Larry-Sorry I didnt get back to you sooner on your question.
Yes, the lid should be kept off when you reduce the heat to low.
See, what happens during the first lid-on cooking of 15-25 mins is that the heat and steam both stay locked in to keep the bird moist, but also a heating and steaming effect. On the second go around with lid off and the chicken turned, you want the steam and excees heat to go away so you will get proper crisping, as well as less heat - or it would burn before it was thoroughly cooked. You know how those cast iron pans hold heat. And, even though you reduce the heat to low with the lid off, that little pup is still purdy dang hot. Glad you like it. Try as I might to get all fancy, that simple recipe is pretty fool proof for almost any game bird. For some variations I have also added the following at one time or another to either the flour, egg wash, bird, or all three:
1. Johnnies seasoning salt
2. Dry rubbed sage _(just a natural with chukar)
3. Old Bay Seasoning
4.Mixed poultry seasoning (a real no-brainer)
5. Sometimes I will soak the chukar overnight in buttermilk as the enzymes in it have a tenderizing effect on the meat.
6. Very rarely, I will brine the chukar for 24 hours in a brown sugar/Dry Sherry/lots of salt and touch of apple cider - then pull it out pat it dry and let it sit uncovereed in the fridge to dry out even more - then just go through the whole double dipped bird recipe
The thing about the double dipping is that once you try it its hard to ever single dip again. Although the double dip is kind of messy as your fingers just get caked with egg -flour mix, it's worth it. Oh, one other thing I do occaisionally to the flour is crush some kellogs cornflakes (no other brand will work as well) and add them to it - just don't over do it. say 2 parts crushed flakes to 8 parts flour.

My hunting pals and I have used this recipe exclusivley for the last 5 years or so when we go on overnights and rent a motel with a kitchenette. In fact, we all know this recipe so we take turns. Its our tradition to eat whatever gamebirds we get for each dinner. We also carry the leftovers in the truck with us for snacks and sometimes lunch. Its even better cold the next day.
We even cooked up a turkey this way once that we got while pheasant hunting (I had an Autum either sex permit). This recipe really shines with rooster too.
jig
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 11:25 pm  Reply with quote

Oh yeah, also I didnt got into too much detail on the gravy as it was a very basic white garvy recipe. But sometimes after I brown the butter flour mixture when making the roux, I will add chicken broth along with the milk.
Just make sure and add the liquids gradually until you get the right thickness you preferr. And a wire wisk works best for making sure there's no lumps. Should also be done over a hot enough heat to keep the gravy bubbling so the liqquid cooks off and the roux begins its thickening magic.
Of course, you also need to season the gravy with salt and pepper to taste.
Dang!! I'm getting hungry just writing about it.
jig
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 11:30 pm  Reply with quote

Can't stand it any longer I'm heading down to popeyes for some fried bird!
You know, Popeyes for a single dipped bird isnt all that far off this recipe/taste. I love me some popeyes for sure enough, straight ahead southern fried bird - its very consistant and dang if the bird always tastes real fresh. I preferr Popeye's to the Colonel by far. Don't get me wrong, I like the Colonel just fine too, but the Kentucky gentlemens bird just doesnt alwways satisfy me for that straight forward southern fried taste - its just too busy sometimes.
IFL16's
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:58 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks Jig for the additional ideas. I did figure out finally that I had to leave the lid off after turning them over, otherwise they would never get crispy.

Thanks again.

Larry