16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Hello! New Member
XVI'er
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:00 am  Reply with quote

Welcome from another new member to another new member! I very glad to see you on this forum. I'm a long time listener of your show and have several of your father's books in my modest sporting library.Thanks for creating a forum that is open to current issues in the hunting and shooting sports.
We are not bore snobs. You are allowed to speak openly about the others without fear of reprisal, but just don't do it too often. Very Happy I lurked longer than you did before taking the plunge. I don't think either of us will regret it.
I started out with my dad's 16 bore Rem. 11. over 40 years ago. I recently purchased my first SxS 16. Life is sweet! Wink
Tom Gresham
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:41 am  Reply with quote

Which shotgun do I grab? Hmmm.

It depends. Last Saturday, I was shooting a Model 21 skeet gun, in 16ga. Just breaking a few clays.

I grew up with pumps, autos and over/unders. No SxS guns. In 1988 I made a trip to Spain and toured several gun makers. That started my interest in side-by-sides.

I picked up an Ithaca SKB 20 gauge double (called the "Quail Special") in 20 gauge. Still have it, and have never been able to hit anything with it. It has 25-inch barrels, which may be a big part of the problem.

About four years ago Terry Wieland suggest we get a couple of doubles built by Grulla. Lovely sidelock, 12ga., 29-inch barrels on a 20-gauge frame, 6 pounds 4 ounces. Sweet.

The gun that really got me interested in doubles, though, was a 16 gauge. Some 20 years ago my father bought a shotgun at Dan Bailey's Fly Shop in Montana. It was number 2 of a set. (Number one is still there, being shot by John Bailey.)

Dad's gun is a Lebeau-Courally sidelock. Until then, I had handled only American doubles, and not the best ones. I thought of them as clunky with terrible stocks (too much drop). That 16-gauge Lebeau opened my eyes to what a shotgun could be.

That Lebeau is now mine, since Dad doesn't hunt any more. I need to get the stock bent (I shoot left handed). It's choked mod/full.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:54 am  Reply with quote

Oh Geez, now you've done it. "Too much drop" is one of those terms that has started more ruckuses around this site than anything else I can think of. Saying something like clunky, or second rate in the same sentence with American double gun will probably just about get you killed pilgrim. Better find that table to duck under fast--and bring a lunch. This might go on for a while. Wink
woodcock
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:58 am  Reply with quote

Hi Tom---April 1st huh? Hmmm. Gald to welcome another disciple.
WVBob
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:12 am  Reply with quote

As another newbe to the site and to the 16ga. I'm happy to say I've found a lot of good information here.
I started with a 870 16ga that I saw in a gun shop. Someone had ordered it and did not come and pick it up. My mind went, I don't have a 16ga, why not. I now have a CZ and an 1100, Sizemaster, Remington-Winchester-BP hulls, a few flats of shells, and all kinds of wadds. And looking for more.
The search for shells is not just for 16ga. I also shoot 28ga and do the same thing for them.
I've had a bit of trouble getting my wife to understand why I buy 5000 wadds at a time and get two or three flat of shells when I see them.

Captain_Billy
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 4:27 am  Reply with quote

Welcome ! Many , many good guys here and plenty of good discussions take place here. I remember reading some of your posts over on the Doublegunshop.com site. Hope you enjoy this 16-talk. Smile
Foursquare
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 6:42 am  Reply with quote

Welcome aboard, Tom.
I think I can promise, on this site, you won't be treated as rudely as you were on that other site when you asked for opinions on the new S+W SxS.

Look forward to hearing more from you.

Pete

" .......you have learned patience and stubbornness and concentration on what you really want at the expense of what is there to shoot. You have learned that man can as easily be debased as ennobled by a sport....."
Tom Gresham
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:21 am  Reply with quote

Pete:

Thanks. After I posted the report on the S&W on the doublegunshop forum, you would have thought I was trying to empty people's gun safes.

I just realized I am almost out of 16ga. ammo. Gotta do something about that.
britgun
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:34 am  Reply with quote

Tom Gresham wrote:
Pete:

Thanks. After I posted the report on the S&W on the doublegunshop forum, you would have thought I was trying to empty people's gun safes.

I just realized I am almost out of 16ga. ammo. Gotta do something about that.

I just bought a case of Fiocchis, but can't remember where, came in the mail....somebody'll jump on here and tell you, anyhow, they are the lowest pressure commercial shells readily available, and still retain good velocities, and they reload well.... work good for older guns, heck, ANY guns, reducing recoil and wear and tear, but still dealing death and mayhem on the business end... Smile I have been on a gun buying runner of late, all older Yank classics, and these are the best shells for them (unless you have your own light reloads, of course)....

Duncan

Upland Carpenter
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:55 am  Reply with quote

Britgun,

Fiocchi 16GT (6810psi) from Graf's and Sons (www.grafs.com)? Guess you're leaving soon. Hope it's a good trip.

Marcus

BTW:Did your NID come yet?

Tom, welcome from another recent member.

''Common Sense isn't common" -Lefty Kreh
britgun
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:43 am  Reply with quote

Upland Carpenter wrote:
Britgun,

Fiocchi 16GT (6810psi) from Graf's and Sons (www.grafs.com)? Guess you're leaving soon. Hope it's a good trip.

Marcus

BTW:Did your NID come yet?

Tom, welcome from another recent member.

no.... the guy said he would send it Monday, possibly it could come Fri, but most likely, I won't get to see it til I get back.... thanks for helping me remember where I got those shells!! That is a super nice low pressure load, with a very useable spent hull!! I leave Sat, back the 19th.... thanks, man,

Duncan

GA_Longhorn
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:18 pm  Reply with quote

Tom Gresham wrote:
Well, you know . . .

I was thinking that the SxS is overrated, and not really needed any more.

And, it's long past time for a three-and-a half-inch magnum 16 gauge.

<running and ducking for cover>

Hmmmmm....I think I saw you , a while back shooting your Ithaca NID in 16ga, with extra 28ga barrels. A very nice bird gun, indeed. At any rate, welcome aboard. Jump in anytime and enjoy the friendship.

Regards,
Charles

Tom Gresham
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:40 pm  Reply with quote

[quote="Hmmmmm....I think I saw you , a while back shooting your Ithaca NID in 16ga, with extra 28ga barrels. A very nice bird gun, indeed. At any rate, welcome aboard. Jump in anytime and enjoy the friendship.

Regards,
Charles[/quote]

Sounds like a very nice gun, but it's not mine.

I think I'm in the position of needing to get rid of a bunch of guns, and replacing them with a few GOOD guns. Need to get started on that project.
britgun
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 4:25 pm  Reply with quote

Tom Gresham wrote:
[quote="Hmmmmm....I think I saw you , a while back shooting your Ithaca NID in 16ga, with extra 28ga barrels. A very nice bird gun, indeed. At any rate, welcome aboard. Jump in anytime and enjoy the friendship.

Regards,
Charles

Sounds like a very nice gun, but it's not mine.

I think I'm in the position of needing to get rid of a bunch of guns, and replacing them with a few GOOD guns. Need to get started on that project.[/quote]

let us know what you need to dump....er....uhhh....maybe we can help.... Very Happy

gjw
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 5:03 pm  Reply with quote

Very Happy Welcome to the forum Tom, sure is glad to see that you are interested in the 16ga and hope you will continue to inform the shooting public that this great guage is not dead. All to often I hear from me hunting partners "are you shooting THAT gauge" "I bet you pay an arm and a leg for shells" and so on and so on. Maybe with your input the "major" companies will start to field this gauage again.

BTW, sure do enjoy your articles and shows on the shooting sports, I'm a bid fan of yours - thanks and keep up the great work your doing.

Again, welcome!!!

God Bless!

Greg