16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  16 Gague Ammo
brdhnt
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 10:56 pm  Reply with quote

I was recently told by Fiocchi that they are considering expanding their 16 gauge 'Golden Pheasant' line to include the following:
1 1/8 oz. Nickel Plated # 6
1 1/8 oz. Nickel Plated # 7 1/2
1 oz. Nickel Plated loads in 5, 6 and 7 1/2.

They would appreciate knowing what kind of market is out there. Contact them at the Fiocchi USA website.

Thanks.
________
M104 ENGINE

Last edited by brdhnt on Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
TJC
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 10:11 am  Reply with quote

A 1 oz load of plated 5's would be nice. Very Happy

kb
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 11:46 am  Reply with quote

Allow me to add my voice in support of a 1 oz, 16ga load with #5 & #6 nickel plated shot. It would make a great (and useful) pheasant load!
k28ga
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 5:29 am  Reply with quote

let me add the 1 & 1/8 oz. load of #6 would also be great for turkey, spring or fall.
i hunt spring goblers with my mod. 37 featherlight, full choke.

karl
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 7:25 am  Reply with quote

Fiocchi would be wise to start looking at the wads it uses in its ammo. I've never bought any of the "Golden Pheasant" ammo, because my hunting handloads are every bit as effective as any store bought ammo I've ever used with the exception of buffered buckshot loads with a good shot cup, which I buy from the federal Premium line. The Gualandi wads Fiocchi uses in their standard ammo leave a lot to be desired. They are not deep enough to protect any more than 3/4 oz. or less. For 16 ga. minimum count loads of 200 pellets big enough to be effective on pheasant, this is not good.

I've found that an effective killing pattern of shot requires around 200 well protected pellets (about 195-205) to remain effective over its useful range. A bit over is ideal. I can see the Fiocchi 1 oz. #6 load, especially a high speed load at 1300 FPS with very hard or plated shot, being truely useful, if the shot cup is deep enough to protect all the pellets from barrel scrub.

However, 1 oz. of #5 does not. It would provide too thin an effective pattern, even out of a full choke. #5 shot takes over #6 in useful killing power only past 35 yards or so. at that range, you could throw a cat through the holes in the pattern of a 1 oz. load of #5 shot. even out of the tightest chokes. A load of #5 shot requires a tad over 1-1/8 oz. to provide the 200 pellets needed to be effective over its useful range out to 40 yards or a bit more. Even then it requires a tight full choke at the farther end of the range to remain so. I'd like to see a 1-3/16 oz. load of 5 plated shot at or a bit above 1275 FPS. That would be a killer for sure, especially in the second and tighter barrel.

Later on in the season, a good, on the heavy side, 1-1/4 oz load of #4 plated would be nice for that second shot. It does not have the 200 pellets. However, I've found plated #4 shot to throw a very close pattern out of a well choked barrel all the way out to 40 yards. These big pellets have real hitting power on those cold blustery late season days that smaller pellets lack. They hold on to their energy extremely well. In the days before non-toxic shot, #4's were very effective goose shot out to 35 yards or so. Pheasants hit well with hard #4 shot fold up and die very quickly all the way out to 40 yards or a bit more. They are also about the biggest useful pellet out of the average 16 ga. gun.

Long forcing cones and a nice tight modified choke or light improved modified choke are the best set up for shooting #4 out of a 16. I've had my main carry gun's cones lengthened and advise the same on any gun that it can safely be done to. However, a wadcup that accepts all of the pellets of a minimun shot count load except the first one or two layers is required to insure the best killing patterns. This has remained true throughout all of my reloading and testing experience.
Larry Brown
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 9:39 am  Reply with quote

Guy, I agree that a 1 oz load of 5's is shy in the pellet count department. 1 1/8, IF it patterns well through a tight choke, is good on late season birds. Federal makes 1 1/4 oz 4's in their Premium line, and I've found that those buffered loads tighten patterns quite a bit, even with 6's. Expect they'd do the same with 4's.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 10:54 am  Reply with quote

Yup, That's why I think 1-3/16 oz. of #5 is better. Thats actually what I load. I have some of the old 1-1/4 oz. 16 ga. Herter's wads that I use exclusively for loads over 1-1/8 oz. The 1-3/16 oz. load calls for 31 grains of Blue Dot and the wad with a split 1/8 thick 28 ga. card wad in the bottom of the shot cup in a Fiocchi hull. it has a good pellet count and patterns well right out to 45 yards out of my specially Reamed Browning Invector tube with 32 points of choke in the top barrel. Velocity is about 1260-1275 FPS. Don't ask me the pressure. It is probably above 10000 PSI but not by much. It is perfectly safe in my Citori.

I would not recommend the loadin older guns or even my Matador. I do not think even reducing the powder would help here. The recoil is fierce out of a 6-3/4 lb gun and the mechanical thrust on the fences of older guns with softer steel is probably a bit more than they should be subjected to. Here, 1-1/8 oz. at under 1250 FPS is probably wiser.

The bottom barrel is carrying a 1 or 1-1/8 oz. load of hard #6 shot, behind an improved cyl or modified choke, depending on how the birds are acting and what type of cover they are in that day. Usually, late in the season, I'll load the #5 load in the down barrel with modified choke and the top barrel gets the 1-1/4 oz.(and a tad more) #4 load out of 26 points of choke. I use the same wad without the filler and 30 grains of Blue Dot in the Fiocchi hull. It goes about 1240-1250 FPS and kills like the Hammer of Thor. Again, pressure is about 10,000 psi or a tad more. Again, It is used in my Citori and is not for the older guns.

Again, firing this 1-1/4 oz. plus load out of an older double gun is not wise. That is only one of the reasons I like the Citori. It is bull strong and can take occasional use with top end pressure loads. It is also mechanically stronger than older doubles and can take the breech face stresses. Plus, I shoot it very well. What more can I ask-- well maybe an egg in my beer, if i drank beer. Wink
Twice Barrel
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 3:25 pm  Reply with quote

If you think you need more than 1 1/8th ounce loads to kill your game you really should be using a 12 gauge.

These heavy loads defeat the beauty of the 16 gauge which gives optimal performance with an ounce of shot.
Jim McCann
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 10:47 am  Reply with quote

I remember several posts by Larry Brown about his having measured the #6 shot inside some KENT Ultimate Upland shells and determined the shot to be more like #5 1/2. I wonder if this isn't a good compormise for your late season purposes?

Jim