16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  firing pin problem
cvdawley
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:18 pm  Reply with quote

I have experienced a problem with a fox sterlingworth. With snap caps in place I tested trigger pull on this gun and them found the gun wouldnt open. I was able to open it by taking off the fore end and found the firing pins were sticking out and now will not retreat Sad Sad Help!!
cvdawley
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:57 pm  Reply with quote

Ok..I figured out how to get it recocked, but why would this happen? I almost afraid to take it out and shoot it now for fear it will hang up again. Any answers appreciated. Question Question Sad
fred lauer
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:01 pm  Reply with quote

A Sterlingworth cannot cock (retract the firing pins) without the fore end intact. The protruding steel part on the hinge end of the fore end pushes the cocking slide (on bottom of barrel lug) back upon opening the barrels. The gun may have a timing problem due to wear or dirt, and won't retract the firing pins when it should. Fox firing pins are part of the hammers and as such, you don't have to use snap caps to drop the hammers. It won't hurt them. If you want to see the hammer and sear position you'll have to remove the trigger plate. Hope this helps.

M D Christian
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 5:37 am  Reply with quote

The problem could be in the cocking slide, possibly just dirt and grime, or it could have a broken slide spring, the spring breaks, but stays in the slot and binds the slide. I don't think I would make a habit of dryfiring on empty chambers, be it a Fox , Parker, or a gun with independent pins.. They all break sonmetimes. The part about the cocking slide is fact.. The dry firing is opinion..MDC
fred lauer
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:00 am  Reply with quote

I would concur on the dirt and grime. As simple as it sounds, a can of spray degreaser and a blast of compressed air can cure many functioning problems, not only in Fox, but many double guns. Also, I don't advocate unlimited dry fire on an empty chamber either. However, I'm not concerned with the occasional release of spring pressure before a long storage period on Fox hammers.I won't do that on an L.C.Smith though. On the subject of the cocking slide,sometimes they will get worn on the forward edge to the point of having a radius shape and slowing the cocking action up just enough to drag in the spent primers.

Prussian Gun Guy
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:24 am  Reply with quote

I have the exact same problem on a German Franz Jaeger gun. The firing pins "stick" in the primers. I was told it was "soft" primers causing the problem. On my gun, the problem only happens with Federal factory shells.

What shells/ primers are you using?

Have you tried a different shell?

Good luck, and keep us informed.

P.S. Sorry, I didn't notice the part about snap caps. But maybe what I've said above still might matter. Try the gun with some different shells.

"There aint nothin' better than huntin' with a Setter"
cvdawley
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 1:16 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks for the response PG guy. Monday I will be near a range and am going to shoot the gun with RST low pressure loads to see if I have problems. I did try putting win209 primers in RST empties and firing, but it seemed the primers backed out and made opening harder, though the hammers recocked in each instance. I believe RST's are chedderites (sp?) ;and that their primer pockets are larger, hence the backing out of the primers?? Perhaps the pins were sticking in the primers and pulling them part way out, as opening the gun did require some effort. I did spray degreaser into the boxlocks and hopefully that will help. Charlie
cvdawley
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:35 am  Reply with quote

Good News! I went to the range this morning and fired 6 round of RST low pressure with no problem. Perhaps it was the snapcaps or Dirt/grime which the degreaser/lube fixed. Very Happy Very Happy
Prussian Gun Guy
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 1:34 pm  Reply with quote

Just for giggles, you may want to try the snap caps again.

cvdawley
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:03 pm  Reply with quote

I am worried about you prussain gun guy Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
Prussian Gun Guy
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:51 am  Reply with quote

Why? Then you know exactly what the problem was! If it is the snap caps, use them elsewhere or toss them away. If it's the gun, you may want to consider having it dis-assembled and really cleaned right. At least that's my thinking.

I just brought a 90 year old Sterly, and before the season opens, I plan on having the stock removed, receiver cleaned, and the stock acra-glassed. I will not attempt this myself. I already know my limitations.

How often has your gun been serviced in the last 80 plus years?

P.S. I worry about me also. Then again, think about how my wife feels? She's a Psychologist, and can't make sense of me either.

Doc, sometimes I breathe in more than I breathe out!!