16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Loose Reciever on Browning Citori
NANTAN2
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 8:18 pm  Reply with quote

I'm throwing this out in hopes that someone can give me some advice with a little problem I have, because I don't want to send my shotgun off to Missouri for months. I was shooting skeet this afternoon and noticed that my whole reciever/trigger guard assembly is loose in the stock, and there is a hairline crack starting just behind the safety in the stock. I've only had this shot gun for about two months, therefore I've only put about 500 rounds through it. It is a Browning Citori 525 Sporting (in a 16 of course). Is there any way to tighten this? Question Any help is greatly appreciated!! Wink
Thanks,
Rich

TJC
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 8:23 pm  Reply with quote

If it's new and there is a crack already forming in the stock, send it back. I don't think tightening the stock to the receiver is going to help as the crack will just expand.

SShooterZ
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 9:07 pm  Reply with quote

TJC wrote:
If it's new and there is a crack already forming in the stock, send it back. I don't think tightening the stock to the receiver is going to help as the crack will just expand.

I completely agree. Send it back, that crack won't fix itself.
Prussian Gun Guy
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 4:48 am  Reply with quote

First contact the store where you got the gun. Maybe they'll "swap" it out for you.

Second, contact Browning. Maybe they'll let you go to a local gunsmith (who they recognize and accept) without voiding your warranty. Get any agreements in writing.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Good luck.

DON'T SHOOT THAT GUN ANYMORE UNTIL IT'S FIXED!!!

"There aint nothin' better than huntin' with a Setter"
NANTAN2
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:59 am  Reply with quote

....I appreciate it. I'm going to call Browning tomorrow morning(Monday), and I'll probably run it up to their corporate offices, which is about 20 minutes from my home. However, I don't know that they do a whole lot of gun repairs up there. I beleive your advice is good....the crack is not going to repair itself. The stock is going to have to be replaced....how long that is going to take is the BIG QUESTION?? I really hate to be without my skeet gun!! It's not like I don't have others...Ruger Red Label 20, Auto five 12, and Franchi 28....but you know my favorite is the 16!! Well, I'll keep you posted on how this all turns out, may be of some use to others some time down the road.
Keep shootin'
Rich Wink

NANTAN2
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:51 am  Reply with quote

Well, I called the corporate office here in Utah. They don't fix anything up there. They told me to call Arnold, MO. After calling Arnold I must say that I'm pissed. They told me to ship it with a letter explaining the problem (which I did....cost me $47.50 to ship it with insurance...do you think I'll be reimbursed for this? not a chance!). When asked about the turn around time....minimum of 2 months!! But the clincher...when I asked if this was covered under warranty, I was told "that would be determined after inspection of the gun". What the crap is up with that? I pay $3,000.00 for a brand new Browning...It's two months old, with less than 500 rounds through it....The receiver is loose, and the stock is cracked...and they're not sure if it's covered under warranty??? Give me a freaking break!! Twisted Evil
Well, that's the update on the Browning. Thanks for letting me "vent" before I explode!!
Pissed off in Utah Crying or Very sad

mdoerner
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:18 am  Reply with quote

I wouldn't worry about it. They're just trying to make sure some "Bubba" didn't put a stick of dynamite in the chamber or a 12 ga shell instead of a 16 ga shell.... Shocked

I'm certain this would be covered under warranty, just give it some time (which in this day and age of instant gratification over the internet is akin to asking someone to borrow one of their vital internal organs.....but I digress) Laughing

Mike Doerner
jim18611865
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:00 pm  Reply with quote

If purchased locally the dealer would likely have shipped it for you for nothing.
Prussian Gun Guy
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:27 pm  Reply with quote

NANTAN2 wrote:
Well, I called the corporate office here in Utah. They don't fix anything up there. They told me to call Arnold, MO. After calling Arnold I must say that I'm pissed. They told me to ship it with a letter explaining the problem (which I did....cost me $47.50 to ship it with insurance...do you think I'll be reimbursed for this? not a chance!). When asked about the turn around time....minimum of 2 months!! But the clincher...when I asked if this was covered under warranty, I was told "that would be determined after inspection of the gun". What the crap is up with that? I pay $3,000.00 for a brand new Browning...It's two months old, with less than 500 rounds through it....The receiver is loose, and the stock is cracked...and they're not sure if it's covered under warranty??? Give me a freaking break!! Twisted Evil
Well, that's the update on the Browning. Thanks for letting me "vent" before I explode!!
Pissed off in Utah Crying or Very sad

Be careful!! You just blasphened the Browning warrwnty system. Do you know what you've started??

I am just going to hide under the covers until this is all over!!

"There aint nothin' better than huntin' with a Setter"
berg
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:33 pm  Reply with quote

I don't think I would worry about it too much either. As has been mentioned, they want to inspect the gun to see if if it has been abused or messed with, but I'd bet a dollar to a donut hole they will fix it at no charge. I would also think that if it had been purchased locally and taken back to the dealer it was purchased from that Browning would have covered the shipping.
The part that sucks is the two month wait.

Only gun I've had to send in for warranty work was quite a few years ago (a Winchester) and they told me pretty much the same thing, send it in with a letter explaining the problem and they would inspect it first.
- But they also told me to take it back to the dealer and have them send it. If it was not a covered repair then I would be billed for the repair and shipping.-
Unfortunately I had moved since I had purchased the gun and no local dealers would touch it because I hadn't bought it from them, so I did have to eat the shipping. The problem was covered, not just repaired, they sent me a new gun, and it was delivered to my doorstep.

berg
NANTAN2
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:38 am  Reply with quote

I purchased the gun off of Gunbroker.com, it came out of Arizona...and I'm in Utah. Guess you're right, I will eat the shipping. And I also hope you're right about Browning covering this under warranty. The two month wait (if indeed that's all it is) is the part that really sucks! Sad When you spend three grand on a new shotgun, you really expect that it will hold up longer than two months....frustrating to say the least. Confused

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 10:45 am  Reply with quote

Nantan, specify that you want equal or better wood on your new stock and be persistant. I do know that Browning will replace the stock. Just make sure you let them know you want the nice figure and the matching color and finish to your forend. You paid for it; therefore, you are entitled.
NANTAN2
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 12:13 pm  Reply with quote

Yeah, I sent them a letter along with the gun. And believe you me, I let them know how I felt about the whole thing! Which means, that they will probably move my project to the bottom of the pile. I'll be lucky if I see it back before Fall bird season. Confused

roll crimp
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 3:57 am  Reply with quote

I had a similar situation with my Citori. Since I live about 40 miles from Arnold, MO I drove the gun over. Probably cost me about the same as shipping it with gas prices what they are today.

The guy at the counter was a little stange .....kinda pushy and know it all'ish but he did get one things right, the gun had not been shot much. Two skeet leages to be exact.

The problem was that the barrels wouldn't lock up "on face". There was a gap between the barrels and the breech face.

Gun was gone, out of my hands, exactly 2 weeks and 4 days. No charge, no hassel about warrenty.

It is tight and 'on face' now.

The only dissapointing aspect of all this is that I see many people having problems with their Citori's. New guns for the most part and that should not be. I have always had great respect for Browning firearms, but any more it seems like they are slipping. At least in their CC department!
onefunzr2
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 4:45 am  Reply with quote

From my one and only experience, they'll fix it and in the cost column will be N\C...no charge. But you'll never find out what actually went wrong or what caused the problem.