16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Loose Reciever on Browning Citori
NANTAN2
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:55 pm  Reply with quote

We always seem to look back to the "good old days". Seems like the good old days weren't that long ago, like two or three months!! Just last year I was buying 12's in the Estates for $3.49 a box. I guy could afford to do some shooting then. I've been buying the black Remingtons at Big 5 sporting goods for $4.99 a box (which is a great price for factory 16's). They are 1 oz. of #8. I've bought all they have, but the manager says he will keep ordering them in. I'm sure the price will go up however...probably go to $5.99 a box...if I'm luck they will hold at around $5.49. But, a guys gotta keep shooting no matter what!!
Later,
Nantan

MGF
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 2:42 pm  Reply with quote

Just today found some Remington Gun Clubs (12 ga., 7.5) at $47 a flat. Didn't need 'em much right now, but will use 'em sooner or later, so I grabbed 'em. I think I'll stock up before Sept. 1, which is when I hear much of the price hike will land. If the nearby Gander Mountain doesn't have any Win or Rem game loads in eight shot, may have to bite the bullet and suck up the ones remaining at $5.99 a box. Hell or high water, I'm shooting.
Back To 16 Gauge
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 3:10 pm  Reply with quote

If you live near a Dick's Sporting Goods, they still had the Remington Game Loads in 16 gauge @ roughly $4.00 per box (case price) including tax. Bought four flats last Thursday @ the store in Knoxville, TN. Knoxville only had 7 1/2 shot size. That may have changed with the "sale" of other gauge Remington Game Loads @ $3.99 per box.
MGF
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 3:21 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks, but there's two Dick's stores within 45 minutes of me and neither carries the 16 GLs. Still stop there to check their seasonal closeouts, though. Picked up some awesome mock-Ts in the golf section at $9.95 each. They're nice enough to wear to work, although I intend to set one aside for hunting.
nutcase
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:18 pm  Reply with quote

16 gauge shells at a reasonable price just don't exist in Idaho. Cheapest I've seen was at Cabela's of all places, $5.59 for Estates. No longer in stock and I'm sure they will be higher if they ever do get them back in. Bought Winchester Super X 12 gauge for $3.59/box at Sports Authority a couple months ago. Today, $5.99 a box. Sportsman's Warehouse hasn't raised their prices yet, so since I have a new 12 gauge coming I bought three flats of 7/8 oz Federal Game Loads at the $3.79/flat price. I'm still hoping they will have some 7/8 oz Federals in 16 gauge like they did last year for dove season.

delco
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:52 pm  Reply with quote

Back To 16 Gauge wrote:
If you live near a Dick's Sporting Goods, they still had the Remington Game Loads in 16 gauge @ roughly $4.00 per box (case price) including tax. Bought four flats last Thursday @ the store in Knoxville, TN. Knoxville only had 7 1/2 shot size. That may have changed with the "sale" of other gauge Remington Game Loads @ $3.99 per box.

The Dick's store here has some Remington shells with only 20 shells per box. Don't necessarily go by the per-box-price.

Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body, and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks. - Thomas Jefferson
Back To 16 Gauge
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 6:57 pm  Reply with quote

delco:

The shells I bought at Dick's Sporting Goods are 25 shells/box Remington Game Loads (16 gauge) and not the Remington Special Purpose Load @ 20/box. I agree you have to be sure what you are buying. I have at least 25 cases of the 16 gauge Remington Game Loads on hand bought over the last three months. I am still hoping to get more before the September/October price increases. You just have to accept 7.5's because all Dick's usually has are 7.5's or 6's in these loads. Best deal I have found on 16 gauge shells anywhere. Sounds like some stores carry 16 gauge some don't. The Bass Pro Shop at Sevierville, TN was out of 16 gauge Remington Game Loads that have been priced @ $4.50 per box (they have had 8's in the past). Wal-Mart price on the same same 16 gauge Remington Game Loads is $4.97 per box for 7.5's.
TJC
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:11 pm  Reply with quote

Picking up 5 more cases tomorrow at a Dick's near me. Very Happy
Now if the price I got the 10 cases for last week holds, I'll be a very happy guy. Wink

MGF
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:47 pm  Reply with quote

"The Dick's store here has some Remington shells with only 20 shells per box. Don't necessarily go by the per-box-price."

I never buy the 20-per-box packages. Don't want to encourage the makers to think they're a good idea. I walk past 'em to get to Gun Clubs or, for the 16, the GLs.

TJC: You're unreal man. Every time I think I need to justify buying flat, a TJC-like voice tells me, "Ah, the hell with one flat ... get three or four. Going to need 'em sooner or later, and the price isn't going down anytime soon."

So I buy 3 or 4! Shocked

Eegads, it's contagious, and it's got hold of my wallet. Twisted Evil
TJC
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 3:06 am  Reply with quote

MGF,

You got it right man. The price is not going to go down and you will use them sooner or later. Buy now.
Look at how many old boxes of shells get shot up all the time. Real old ones. With the new modern shells they will last almost forever if stored right.
Besides, I shoot them up almost as fast as I can buy them if I only get 3-4 at a time. Wink

Now if he just gets those other 13 cases in I'll be set for a year or so. Very Happy

NANTAN2
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:50 am  Reply with quote

I got a killer deal on some shot last night. A guy had three bags for sale. One bag of 7.5, one bag of 8, and one bag of 4's. Each bag was about 3/4 full. Picked all three up for $30.00...not bad since they are about $39.00 a bag in Utah now.
On another thought...I was a Sportsman's Warehouse to pick up some 200 grain Lead round nose flat points for my .45 Long Colt, and others for my .44 mag., and .45 ACP, and .357 magnum. I WAS TOTALLY SHOCKED at the price increase. They wanted $48.00 for one box of 500 lead bullets!! Just a few months ago I was paying $29.00 for the same thing. So anyway....I went to CAL-RANCH to browse, and found a bunch of 500 round boxes marked at $24.95....needless to say, I bought them all!! Dang, a guy has to really start searching to find "good deals" anymore. I appreciate all of your good tips and advice. The Hornady V-Max bullets are up to $16.00 a box now, and the guy at the sporting goods store says they are taking a 40% jump by the end of the year!! Takes a real bite out of my prairie dog hunting.
Nantan

MGF
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:13 pm  Reply with quote

TJC wrote:
MGF,

You got it right man. The price is not going to go down and you will use them sooner or later. Buy now.
Look at how many old boxes of shells get shot up all the time. Real old ones. With the new modern shells they will last almost forever if stored right.
Besides, I shoot them up almost as fast as I can buy them if I only get 3-4 at a time. Wink

Now if he just gets those other 13 cases in I'll be set for a year or so. Very Happy

Yeah buddy. When I got spare coin, that's where it's going. Shell stock in all five gauges is good right now, and I'm aiming to keep it healthy.
TJC
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:11 am  Reply with quote

I'm picking up 5 more cases of RGLs today after work. Still waiting on 13 more. Wink

delco
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:02 pm  Reply with quote

The price on lead commodity went down today.
Cabalas $55.00 25lb #9 shot
Guns Unlimited $38.00 25lb #9 shot
Omaha, Nebraska

Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body, and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks. - Thomas Jefferson
NANTAN2
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:42 am  Reply with quote

Well, UPS showed up at my door last night with a package from Arnold, Missouri. There was a really nice Browning shooting jacket, and a nice Browning shooting shirt inside. With a note from the people at Arnold apologizing for any trouble they have caused in this whole 525 fiasco. Helps a guy start to feel better about the whole thing. The new shotgun is suppose to arrive before Sept. 1. That will tell the complete story in all this.
I'll keep you posted.
Nantan Wink