16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Loose Reciever on Browning Citori
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:32 pm  Reply with quote

Way to go Nantan. I'd say you've also made a valuable friend inside Browning to boot. Regardless of all the nay saying, Browning seems to get things right in most cases.

I also think that approach has a lot to do with it. Being tactfully persistant has always been the best policy for me. I will stay in someone's face until the job is done right, but I'm also always smiling and positive. Obviously, you too have been successful using this approach, Nantan. There is a lesson here for us all. Use what works the best.
NANTAN2
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 3:09 pm  Reply with quote

I've said it once, I'll say it again...I'm lucky that I live just 30 minutes from the Browning Corporate offices. I think that made a big difference in the out come of this saga. And I personally visited with Dave from Customer service, as well as 3 or 4 of the other employees there at Browning. When you are standing there in person with a shoddy piece of work...it's very hard to deny. If I had lived in Montana or New York or any other place in this country, I would have been going through a shipping and telephone nightmare! But, having said that...I can also say that the folks here in Utah did their best to satisfy me. And in the long run, they did. I have a beautiful shotgun, and many extras to make up for my trouble. I certainly wouldn't want to go through this experience again, or wish it on anyone. Browning has a good name, a good reputation, a good product, and I will continue to purchase and use their products.

onefunzr2
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:39 pm  Reply with quote

And it only took something like what? 6 months? It's a good thing you didn't have to make a living using that scattergun. You'd be in the poorhouse by now with the wolves snapping at your heels.

I guess that's the price we have to pay for imports.

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:22 am  Reply with quote

NANTAN2 wrote:
I've said it once, I'll say it again...I'm lucky that I live just 30 minutes from the Browning Corporate offices. I think that made a big difference in the out come of this saga. And I personally visited with Dave from Customer service, as well as 3 or 4 of the other employees there at Browning. When you are standing there in person with a shoddy piece of work...it's very hard to deny. If I had lived in Montana or New York or any other place in this country, I would have been going through a shipping and telephone nightmare! But, having said that...I can also say that the folks here in Utah did their best to satisfy me. And in the long run, they did. I have a beautiful shotgun, and many extras to make up for my trouble. I certainly wouldn't want to go through this experience again, or wish it on anyone. Browning has a good name, a good reputation, a good product, and I will continue to purchase and use their products.

I will agree that the time spent can be costly. I 've had a couple of incidents that could have been handled better and in a shorter time to boot. However, the 1-800 number did not cost me. After I had paid for the first return shipping, I'd ask for and get a prepaid label if the gun needed to be reshipped back. I also would just copy any former letters and add a brief note to everything up to speed. I'd also start turning ther screw with follow up calls to see if things were on track.

As far as imports vs. domestic guns, they seem to be about the same with few exceptions. Ruger has been excellent in the past. However, I've not returned a gun to them for service in years, so I do not know how things are now. Remington and Winchester have been terrrible for decades now. I've had both excellent and terrible service from Smith and Wesson. Colt wants gold and your first born for everything.

Beretta is hit or miss depending on the nature of the work. God forbid you get a bad barrel set on any of their break opens. They also seem to want to charge you for small repairs that should be done under warranty. They might or might not cover the work. it seems to depend on who you get to talk to and how they are feeling that day. I've already addressed the problem of warranty service from disappearing import houses and the name change games they like to play.

My best advice is to learn to spot problems before you by them, especially for break open type guns and the less popular repeaters. Fully check out the gun you intend to buy. Know the company's track record.

Finally, if the gun you are considering is from an extinct import name or house, proceed with extreme caution. Makie sure you don't confuse two very similar brand names. Also figure a big discount into the price to cover any repairs or adjustments not readily apparent to the eye--even if the gun is new in the box. You can't get warranty service from a firm that is no longer in business. Most sellers will not help you either other than to sometimes offer a refund. If the problem shows up 3 to 6 monthes down the road, you are usually on your own. That's life around the gun for sale racks as I've known it--and so it goes.
NANTAN2
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:45 am  Reply with quote

In all fairness to Browning...I still had my old 525 to shoot, while I was waiting for the new one to arrive. So...if the wolves showed up, I could blast them with my 16 gauge!! Laughing

MGF
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:04 am  Reply with quote

The best advice I can give re dealing with Beretta: Buy from a full-line dealer who moves a lot of their guns and let them do the talking to Beretta. Worked well for me (in price and turnaround time) the two times I needed service. Not much of a sample size, I know, but that's all I can report after having owned several of their O/Us and one of their autoloaders.