16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Citori bore diameter
pumpgun
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:53 am  Reply with quote

I contacted Briley and Trulock chokes regarding nominal bore diameter for the 16g. citori. Well... Briley uses .665 as nominal, and Trulock uses .670.
But Briley got the .665 standard directly from Browning, and made the factory 16g chokes for Browning, or so I am told. And here I read that these barrels run .668-.670. Mabye this is why the factory chokes are unusually tight.
kgb
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 7:27 pm  Reply with quote

Pumpgun, my recent production Citori measures in at .667 and .668 in the lower and upper barrels. The chokes of IC/M/F constrict .003, .010 and .046, obviously give or take that .001 difference in the bores.

Wholesale hunter sells $15 replacement tubes, I bought a few; they are made by Briley (marked somethink like "Made for Browning by Briley" on the packages), they're silver vice blued, and they follow the Briley rules of constriction with .000 for Cylinder, .005 for Skeet and .020 for Mod. Actual measurements in my gun add about .002 to those numbers, but that's not too significant in my mind.

Looks like all the "factory" Browning Full tubes encountered are way tight, the IC and Mod run to the loose side, and if that's what you want it's a good thing. New production Briley-made replacement tubes should measure what they are supposed to and at 15.00 each I think they're a good deal. I bought my Citori used and it came with extended Brileys that show the same adherence to Briley advertised constrictions, plus .002" in comparison to my true lower barrel measurement (meant for a .669" bore?) and they each have a 3/4" parallel section that runs to the muzzle. In patterning some of these chokes with quality handloads of #5's I got Full pattern percentages (over 70%) from the .010" and higher constrictions.

kgb