16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Favorite Vest?
Coastie Chief
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 3:12 pm  Reply with quote

A few years ago on the SSBB I posted a question regarding everyones favorite vest because I wanted a new one, something nicer than the run of the mill Wally World variety. So here goes again....what's the vest that you wear the most and why? BTW I ended up with an Orvis (light) and a Boyt (heavier) that I haven't had much chance to use lately. I'm about to change that this year though!

Last edited by Coastie Chief on Fri Aug 20, 2004 7:57 am; edited 2 times in total
RWG
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 7:28 pm  Reply with quote

LL Bean Partridge vest is my favorite for most upland game. But I also like my McAlister bird belt (1/2 vest) for clays and doves. Russ
fin2feather
PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 8:04 am  Reply with quote

Mine is an Orvis also; one they discontinued a couple years back. Always wanted a Filson (that traditional one; don't know the model) but never would pony up the bucks. Could have bought one on clearance at Cabela's a few years ago, and have regretted not doing it.

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
fin2feather
PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 8:05 am  Reply with quote

Couldn't find a delete key; sorry Crying or Very sad .

Last edited by fin2feather on Fri Aug 20, 2004 9:34 am; edited 1 time in total

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
RWG
PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 8:15 am  Reply with quote

fin2feather wrote:
Mine is an Orvis also; one they discontinued a couple years back. Always wanted a Filson (that traditional one; don't know the model) but never would pony up the bucks. Could have bought one on clearance at Cabela's a few years ago, and have regretted not doing it.

Probably Tin or double Tin cloth Filson vest. They are tough, but heavy and the waxed cotton does not breath. So they are hot. But they are thorn proof. Even the Shelter cloth models. But I prefer the Bean Partridge vest for its lighter weight, great weight distribution and good thorn protection. Russ
fin2feather
PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 8:39 am  Reply with quote

Does anybody know how to delete one of my posts? This is the 2nd time a post of mine has appeared twice; guess I'm an idiot!

RWG
PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 8:48 am  Reply with quote

fin2feather wrote:
Does anybody know how to delete one of my posts? This is the 2nd time a post of mine has appeared twice; guess I'm an idiot!

Try the edit function on the upper right hand side of the message. There should be a delete key there. Russ
Paul Dwight
PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 9:29 pm  Reply with quote

I've got a Filson that I bought in Seattle. Great vest. Tin cloth. It's been on a lot of trips with me and has even been worn while riding my Harley-Davidson. It's definitely not black but still fit in. However, all those feathers blowing out of it were a bit distracting! It has held up well with virtually no care. As Filson says, " Might as well have the best".
Paul Dwight
john555
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 12:57 pm  Reply with quote

I have worn a Filson waxed canvas for more years than I want to remember. It is like they say " might as well have the best". Filson also makes an excellent pair of brush chaps. The only other vest that has come close was made by Jones Tent and Awning, if I remember correctly it was called a Dryback.
Mc16
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 6:51 pm  Reply with quote

I have three vests depending on the weather, and number of coats I have on. My early season vest is a Bob Allen vest. no shell loops just pockets and a game pouch. My favorite vest is a K-mart special I bought when they made orange a required color above the waist here in the good state of Minnesota. I was half way to the happy hunting grounds when I remembered I didn't have anything orange. only paid $4.00 for it and used it I think around 6 or 7 years now. Mike

Dave Erickson
PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 7:52 am  Reply with quote

I've got and old Filson strap vest that I wore for years. Good product. Mine doesn't have any blaze orange on it, so now it gets used for early season duck hunting and trout fishing.

I've got a Boyt strap vest that now use for warm weather bird hunting. It's another good one, and it has the blaze orange trim. I wanted to try a Boyt vest mainly because their gun cases have been good.

Finally, last year I bought a more traditional styled vest from Cabelas, only this one has all the bells and whistles. Transmitter holders, water bottle holders, extra storage, etc... I think it was called the "Dog Handler" vest of something like that. It even has a water "bladder" that has a plastic hose and a "bite valve" for getting a quick drink while hunting. I bought this one late last season, so I'm not sure how it will play out. It seemed fine last year on my late season hunts.

I like the strap vests for warmer weather, but I like a little more protection from the wind later, yet I like having my arms free, so I rarely wear a hunting coat.
Gus P
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 3:28 pm  Reply with quote

Filson strap vest .

But I'm thinking about getting a vest just like the one you described Dave and trying it out this year.
Parker Trojan
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 6:47 pm  Reply with quote

I have a Filson tin upland vest with blaze trim for cold, windy days and a Filson strap vest for warmer weather. I use the strap vest almost all the time as I decided that two good front pockets and a game bag is all that I really need.It's really all about the DOG, the rest is just stuff.
Flintsteel
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 8:37 pm  Reply with quote

I love the traditional Filson tin cloth vest but found it way too hot and stiff for Texas. Besides, when it's THAT wet you'll find me in front of a fire reading a good book. Last year in one last desperate move to salvage my Filson vest I went against all instructions and tossed it in the washer with a double heap of soap. Presto! One of the finest (and softest) vests in the country. And it didn't shrink. I washed it in cold water and hung dried.
rooster32
PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 11:52 am  Reply with quote

I really like my Quilomene vest. Plenty of room for my water bladders and xtra goodies like lunch. Might be overkill for some, but usual day in the mnts means a good ways from the truck, so every has to come with.

On shorter hunts, I will use my Filson.

Have fun!