16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Favorite Vest?
BillOregon
PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 8:47 am  Reply with quote

For years I wore my Filson timber cruiser's vest, well broken-in from working in the redwoods measuring very large trees. But because it was not really designed for shotguns, I lost some shells out of the pockets and always wanted a real bird vest. My ex gave me a vest from LL Bean, but it needs a lot of work. The two main pockets each close with a single button, which I find very slow and snaggy. And the four elastic shell loops sewn inside the pockets are kind of saggy, especially with any shell smaller than 12 gauge. I am going to hand sew on some velcro strips for pocket closures and that will help.
Rick Grimes
PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 1:54 pm  Reply with quote

Got a Camas vest last year in M/L size but it must have been marked wrong cause the straps were much too long Mad . So went back to my old vest I got from the Grouse Tales catalog. Recently I've had the straps on the Camas shortened and hope to break it in this year. I got it from the Ugly Dog Hunting catalog. This year they call it the Headwaters gunner's vest. Lots of pockets and lots of orange Very Happy.

Rick
Mark Y
PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 8:25 am  Reply with quote

I have a Filson Shelter Cloth vest, great vest, but a little heavy for the early season here. Just started using the Ultimate Strap Vest from Cabela's (I think that's what they call it) Really like it. The waist belt supports most of the weight and makes it very comfortable to wear with a heavy load.
69cooters
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 8:00 pm  Reply with quote

I have a Beretta vest. It wasn't cheap, but boy it is nice. Lots of pockets, and features, yet not hindering to my poor shooting. I would highly recommend a look.

Matt

Ducky's Dad
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 8:50 pm  Reply with quote

My favorite vest is the discontinued Cabela's Upland Guide Vest; just the right combination of inside and outside pockets, cinch straps, and water storage. Wish they'd bring it back.

Tried the Cabela's Dog Handler's vest as the closest alternative, but it was way too heavy for desert hunting, so I sent it back. Best vest I can find now is the Columbia Grouse-X Comfort Vest; had to take it to the tailor shop to modify the shell pockets and add some cinch straps to the back.

Also have a Pella Bird'n'Lite vest that will carry a lot more stuff than I want to lug around for most upland hunting, but it's nice for day long excursions after chukar.

All three are full vests and offer pretty good protection against brush and thorns. Even with vests that can carry a hydration bladder, I prefer to wear a Camelback insulated bladder under the vest, just to keep the water a bit cooler.
hunshatt
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 2:45 pm  Reply with quote

I have the quilomene, use it for everything. Have a couple of other strap vests but like this one the best. Guess I better buy another beforethey stop making them
Bob P.
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 9:17 pm  Reply with quote

Chief,

Currently I'm using a Beretta Upland Canvas Overlay Vest, best vest I've ever used. Shell loops in pockets will hold 12 ,16, or 20 ga shells securely.

Regards,

Bob

Former QM2 USCG 1969-1974
Coastie Chief
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 9:36 pm  Reply with quote

Bob,
Glad to have you here on the board.
BTW, we don't have QM's anymore!!!! Combined the rates w/BM's and OS's....
Take care, Mike.
P.S. I've got some family in Raleigh....nice place.
Bob P.
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 10:01 pm  Reply with quote

Mike,

Thanks, glad to be aboard.

No QM's??? Well they always called me a coffee toten' bosun anyway....

Regards,

Bob
Chukar Boy
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 9:42 pm  Reply with quote

Shells wore a hole through the pocket of my Filson web vest. It also happened to some of my chukar hunting friends as well. They recommended a vest made by the Boise Bagmaker, I own two now....the Econo Vest and the Brownlee and am very pleased with both having used the Econo for 6 seasons now and the Brownlee for two. The heavy duty mesh game bag allows birds to cool down very rapidly.

http://www.bagmaker.com/outdoors/Upland-Waterfowl.htm

XVIgauge
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 9:44 am  Reply with quote

I really do like Filson products, however, most of them are just to hot for Florida hunting. I have a Filson shelter cloth jacket, a pair of lightweight brush pants and two hats. My favorite vest is an L.L. Bean economy (I can't remember the name or model number but it sells for $39.95). It is relatively light weight and is very simple an uncomplicated. I also have a Cabelas orange mesh vest and a camo mesh vest I bought from Mack's Prairie Wing. Mesh works out very well in our constant warm weather.
XVI

Wolfchief
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 4:59 pm  Reply with quote

I desperately need to find a good quality tan vest, one with no orange, that is well-constructed enough to hold a limit(3) of rooster pheasants. Anyone know where I can find such a vest? I'd like a mesh one if possible; used a Remington mesh vest for years and just plain wore it out......

Ducky's Dad
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 8:43 pm  Reply with quote

Take a look at the Columbia Grouse-X Comfort Vest. Usually, but not always, available from Cabela's. Last I looked, not shown on the Columbia website, because they only show seasonal merchandise. Phone call confirmed that it's still in production.
Wolfchief
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 6:03 pm  Reply with quote

Ducky's Dad: Thanks for the info ! I will check it out....

XVIgauge
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 3:19 am  Reply with quote

After reading all the talk about the Filson strap vest, I decided to order one and give it a try. I am always a sucker for buying new hunting and shooting stuff. Sometimes I wonder if it's an addiction? I ordered the cover cloth model. Am always looking for something cooler here in central Florida to wear quail hunting and dog training.
XVI